Ed Schenck passed?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Oh my, this is so very sad. Although we had never met face to face, I always felt that Ed was like an older brother to me. When I first joined this forum, shortly after buying my boat, Ed was there to welcome me. He photocopied and mailed to me, at his own expense, a copy of his owners manual. We had many PM and email exchanges over the years and he had even made plans to visit me. Now he's in Fiddler's Green. Requiescat in Pace my old friend.

Last edited:
May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
Yes so very sad. Though I never met him, he helped me on my post questions and seemed to always be providing help to everyone. Prayers for his family. Though I never knew him, I will miss him.

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
Bill & I were sad to hear about Ed. He visited us when we were living in Fl & exchanged many emails about our boats. We sold our 37 Cherubini yesterday to a nice young couple going on a sabbatical.
Mary Dixon
Fantasy (soon to be renamed by new owners)

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Ed was a fine man. We got together for lunch a couple of times. He is missed.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I am heartbroken to hear of the loss of our friend - a great fan of me as I was/am of him. Mea culpa for not finishing my boat in time to have him join me sailing. As I grow older I count the losses more than I count the gains. Ed is one such with whom I (like so many others) may sail with now only in spirit; but I assure you I shall.

May he enjoy fair winds, even seas, and the very best of company as he continues to sail those waters beyond all visible horizons.

The long white yacht, well-founded and properly elegant, spreads her tall sails before the lowering sun, carrying her lone sailor out of the harbor, away from us, into the blackening night. And we wave farewell and weep and sigh, 'He is gone.'

But on the other side of a great silver sea, a brilliant sun dawns upon another harbor, full of long white yachts, all well-founded and properly elegant, whose sailors all wave and cry with great joy, 'He is here!'​

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I had not heard the above before....Very well captures the essence of sailing..what is it from?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I don't know what it is from, but the idea is very similar to that in the Henry Van Dyke poem "Gone From My Sight", which was recently posted in another thread.

Gone From My Sight
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

Henry Van Dyke

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I wrote it for the Mass cards at my dad's funeral in 1983. The gist of it was borrowed from something I read in 'Dear Abby' but it was not about the boat.

I delivered the eulogy for my uncle Tom, the last of my dad's generation in his family, last April and used the same theme, somewhat better developed.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I wrote it for the Mass cards at my dad's funeral in 1983...
How appropriate the poem is for Ed, the man I dubbed the 'godfather' of the Hunter 37 Cutter. When I purchased my boat back in 2001, Ed was the first one to welcome me to the fold here at SBO. Over the years he offered me and countless other Hunter owners sage advice and encouragement.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 36_80-82 -
Never met Ed in person but I feel I know him well from his many posts and contributions to the Hunter Owners website. May he rest in peace at sail with fair winds and calm seas.