Flexible stuffing box hose size 1984 Hunter 31

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
Will be hauling the boat out at the end of April to do the bottom and to re-stuff and change the flexible stuffing box hose.
1984 Hunter 31
Question:
Its a 1" shaft, and have been looking for new hoses, and seems the smallest I can find is 1 1/2" ID and 4" long. Is this the correct size? Obviously I cant get the ID while the hose is still on the boat.
Looking for the correct size of replacement hose.
Thanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm replacing my old plastic stuffing box with a dripless. The shaft is 1" and the stern tube is 1 5/8". Yours is probably the same. Look for Buck Algonquin brand hose. Better still ditch the plastic stuffing box for a bronze one if you don't want a dripless.

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
Thanks for the response, someone must have done that a long time ago, I only have a bronze stuffing box! It was the Buck Algonquin page I was on looking at diameters, will go back and have another look! I presume the 1 5/8" is the ID of the tube.
Thanks again.
Just went to look and I have a choice of 1 1/2" I.D. x 4" or 1 3/4" I.D. x 4 1/2"
https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreati...king-box-hoses-2/packing-box-hoses-heavy-duty

but
I also found this one, sound right to you, would have to cut it down.
https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreati...ng-box-hoses-heavy-duty-12-section/80ho162512

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Maybe Hunter just got cheaper in later years and swapped from bronze to plastic.
I would not want to be the one to tell you which is right. Unless someone here knows for sure what dimensions your boat has you may want to wait until you haul her out and can slide the stuffing box hose off of the stern tube to put a caliper on it.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
How long do these hoses last. I am not sure how old mine is, but mine looks to be OK so far. She is a 1983

2014-10-28 22.01.14.jpg

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
I was hoping to be able to have the hose before I take the boat across to get the work done, there is no boat yard here. Guess I could get a couple of different sizes to make sure I had the right one.
The hose was flagged by the surveyor when I bought the boat in 2016, and have had a couple of others look and they said it should be replaced. I also cant get it to seal 100%. It always weeps a little at the stern end. I have the one clamp so tight I am worried it may strip. Hoping someone has changed theirs and would know the size.
Have done some work on the box/hose to clean it up and change the clamps, as it was heavily coated in salt and grime and only had one clamp on either end. One was corroded half through.
Figure just best to replace and will never have to worry again while I am the owner at least. In the pics it looks crooked but its in straight alignment.

Pateco: your stern tube is very different looking than mine. From the end my hose I bet I would have none showing with a new hose on. It would slide right on to where it went through the hull. Right now I bet there is maybe 1/4" - 1/2 " showing.
Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
How long do these hoses last. I am not sure how old mine is, but mine looks to be OK so far. She is a 1983

View attachment 146893
@pateco , that hose looks a bit bloated to me. If it is from 1983, I am sure it time for a change.

If that is a bronze shaft, you might want to look at that too. My ‘88 O’Day 322 shaft had some significant cracking when I cleaned up the patina. Here is a video..

I ended up replacing the shaft, coupling and stuffing box hose. Feel much better about it now.

Greg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
@pateco
If that is a bronze shaft, you might want to look at that too. My ‘88 O’Day 322 shaft had some significant cracking when I cleaned up the patina. Here is a video. I ended up replacing the shaft, coupling and stuffing box hose. Feel much better about it now.

Greg
I'll take a closer look next time I'm at the boat.

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
I have a little update to add to this thread! Hunter 31 1984
Finally came time to get to the boatyard and a haul out for a bottom paint. Had bought a new stuffing box flex hose to replace what i knew was an old one and worrysome. Also picked up the Gore packing material. Left the replacement up to mechanics while i worked on the scraping and painting.
Work was progressing, all the bolts came out, the coupler was separated from the transmission finally, but then the coupler would not come off the shaft. They also cut the old hose off and to my bewilderment, it was some cheap radiator type hose, not the proper hose that's supposed to be on there. Then it became apparent the cutlass bearing was shot and needed replacing. Nothing would get the coupler off the shaft, so because the shaft was questionable, labor was adding up, cut the shaft, get it out and a new shaft was ordered. Once the shaft was out the shaft log was in extremely poor shape, so order one of those and replaced it. Found a used stuffing box in better shape than the one on there, so that will be replaced as well.

What turned out to be a 4 day turnaround and a few hundred bucks is now 2 weeks and possibly $3,000.
The yard was surprised my boat hadn't sunk the condition was so poor at the through hull and that cheap hose that was on there and had been for years.
Thoroughly check all these components if you have an older boat, the log you can't really access until everything is out I think.
Anyway, will have no trouble down this part of the boat once finished.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
7F9246CB-3B7C-41A6-B084-10BF40953F3D.jpeg
All done! New shaft coupler, shaft, stuffing box hose (Buck Algonquin), gore packing, new shaft log and cutlass bearing. Had the engine and shaft aligned this afternoon and back in the water. Heading home to Comox tomorrow, pockets much lighter but boat safe!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Pateco: your stern tube is very different looking than mine. From the end my hose I bet I would have none showing with a new hose on. It would slide right on to where it went through the hull. Right now I bet there is maybe 1/4" - 1/2 " showing.
Cheers
What year is your H31?

Never mind I just saw in the title that it was a 1984. I wonder why it is so different from my 1983? maybe mine was replaced at some point by one of the previous owners.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
I hear you, I do not think I have seen two the same since joining this site! I also have no idea what was done with prior owners in the past, there were no records. I can only go on my own baseline as I find things and change/fix them. Major items are done now, but there is still lots to do!

Jan 11, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, MD
Our 1986 H31 (we purchased in 1990) had the nylon stuffing box which we replaced about 15 years ago after the failing nylon nearly sank the boat.