Help me choose a new compass

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If I want to seal something above the water line that I will be able to get apart easily in the future, I sometimes use clear RTV calk from Home Depot. I set the parts fastened together with the calk in place, but do not tighten the fasteners until after the RTV has dried. This method works best if you have a very irregular surface under the part that you need to mount. If you need to fill in a very thick area with RTV, you may need to wrap the edge of the part with masking tape to keep the uncured RTV from running out.

If you want to make a gasket instead, then you need to start by checking how flat the mounting surface is. If you have a gap of 1/8" or more under a flat edge, then please consider the method above or consider using a thick foam rubber gasket. If the gap is 1/8-1/16" then 1/4" closed cell foam rubber should work. If the gap is 1/16 or less, then 3/16" 40-duro rubber (outdoor material/grade/color of your choice) should work. Harder rubbers don't conform as well. If the surface appears flat, then you should be able to use most any standard outdoor gasket material.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think it's on backwards.

Shouldn't the side with the beer tap be on the outside? Otherwise, the cabin ceiling interferes with the tap pull.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I think it's on backwards.

Shouldn't the side with the beer tap be on the outside? Otherwise, the cabin ceiling interferes with the tap pull.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Oh dang! You’re right!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well the RED kind doesn't exorcize the ghost seen in the center of your installed picture, but it will seal out the water.

Did you use a water hose to test your seal?
Jim...

PS: You can use a hot beer to test also.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Well the RED kind doesn't exorcize the ghost seen in the center of your installed picture, but it will seal out the water.
Did you use a water hose to test your seal?
Jim...
PS: You can use a hot beer to test also.
I didn’t test the seal. Don’t get me all paranoid! And isn’t that ghost handsome!!!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
And isn’t that ghost handsome!!!
errr uhhhh well I ... errrr...

Dont get paranoid! Since I did verify you your compass works if... that was an ≈3-4pm picture in SC.:waycool:
Jim...

PS: I love being a detective.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
errr uhhhh well I ... errrr...

Dont get paranoid! Since I did verify you your compass works if... that was an ≈3-4pm picture in SC.:waycool:
Jim...

PS: I love being a detective.
Nope. 1:34 pm. I want my money back!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I have seen lots of discussion about how to dispose of old boats. The old compass ended up in the trash. Sorta sad really.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Have you swung the new compass? Want to make sure it reads right now that it is in your boat.
Our friend put his Bluetooth speaker real close to the backside of his compass. It read west when it was pointing north.

Sam

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Have you swung the new compass? Want to make sure it reads right now that it is in your boat.
Our friend put his Bluetooth speaker real close to the backside of his compass. It read west when it was pointing north.
Sam
I’ve never swung a compass. It seemed to be pointing the same direction as the old one and where everyone says north is at the club. Honestly, I’d rather have swung a beer tap.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Success!!! I bought a square sheet of rubber from Simpson’s Hardware and cut it to fit. Even the screw holes line up. Even the light works. Thanks for y’all’s help, y’all!
NICE

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Did the new Compass come with a UV protector cover so you don't have to replace it again in a few years?

Sam

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yep.

I think you are going to have to be careful some rebel pilot doesn't swoop by in his X-Wing trying to take out the power node to an Empire ship, by mistake.

- Will (Dragonfly)