Aqualift failure

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Count me as another person suffering an Aqualift failure. @Stu Jackson i've read what you have to say on the subject - but think I will try and glass it back up.

I found the leak while getting ready to change the fluid in the trans (boy was it dirty) - the muffler is cracked right at the input. My guess is when the PO changed the exhaust hose they used a rigid black wire wound exhaust hose that transmitted all the vibration into the input joint.

Going to the boat in a few minutes to measure the hose and pull the muffler for repair. I'll get some silicon hump hose so it doesn't crack again.

It was amazing the amount of water coming out of the muffler, and still have good flow at the back - so warning to all to check this once a month - same time you heck the drips from the stuffing box..

Mahalo
Les

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
i've read what you have to say on the subject - but think I will try and glass it back up.
That's a good start. In addition to the muffler replacement article in Mainsheet tech notes within the past two years, which you may have seen (but doesn't help you for repairs), don't know if you saw this one:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6728.0.html

Good luck.

Ain't transmission fluid change fun?!?!? :)

May 20, 2016
Ain't transmission fluid change fun?!?!? :)
I reread that thread last night. So far I’ve got the old hose out and the top of the muffler cleaned. I was hoping to take it home to glass but the darn thing is glassed to the hull. So guess I’ll kill a few more brain cells.

The ATF was so much fun I did it twice. I ended up pouring the fluid in a clear condiment bottle, which made getting the correct amount of fluid in the hole easier.

Mahalo
Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So you put the new ATF in the tranny then pumped it out. Then poured more in? What were you doing teasing the gears. Letting them taste it like wine tasting? OR is this a new way of flushing... That would make sense seeing as the fluid you first removed was a bit dark. Wonder if there was a lot of metal in the fluid... That would not be good.

May 20, 2016
Stu has a good picture of what my fluid looks like next to fresh --- ugh --- as you said a bit darker than dark. Flushing a bit can't hurt. All 300ml of it I can afford to do it three times... Worst part was I scrapped my knuckles each time I loosen the darn fill/dipstick bolt.

Glassing is complete - now to let it set. I suspect Catalina Direct won't get the Hump Hose here for another week or so - Maybe by Boat Show I'll be back in business - Just in time to help you pump and clean your bilge -- oh boy!!

Les

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@LeslieTroyer
I just started a thread asking about the hydrolift muffler base, then found this thread.
Not sure if yours is like my C30 but can you tell what the base is made of after you remove the muffler? I'm thinking about putting some mounting screws into the side of the base.

May 20, 2016
@Ward H
The should be similar except for inlet/exhaust placement. I believe the whole thing is fiberglass. I fixed mine in place so didn’t look at the bottom. If it was wood I suspect we would be awash in how to replace rotten ones ;).

Here is a pic of the inside of one from @Stu Jackson‘s web site. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6728.0

Mahalo

May 20, 2016
Here is a pic of muffler after repairing. Note: it isglassed to the hull so no need to screw it down.
EC3D0F48-FD74-43F1-9EA8-48BB8FD00D02.jpeg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Les,
On my C30 the muffler has a flange on the bottom with screws into the base to hold it in place. I guess it is different than on your boat.

I did just find a thread with a hint to where to mount the glow plug solenoid I'm installing next week on the engine.

The hump hose install is on my list for this spring after I finish the electrical work.

Thanks

May 20, 2016
A complete rewire of engine & panel is next winters project. Just too many wires with 2” of wire then a butt connector to 6” of wire to another butt connector..... I have the weather pak connectors for the engine panel, add oil pressure gauge to replace defunct/disconnected amp gauge.

I will put a “safety” circuit on the start circuit, just because I have an upcoming article for Mainsheet due in two weeks.

Mahalo

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If it was wood I suspect we would be awash in how to replace rotten ones
When I replaced mine a few years ago, it was wood underneath. Another C34 skipper did his, too, and it was wood; he epoxied or painted his, mine was fine.

P1150745 (Small) old starting to come out.JPG

I'm thinking about putting some mounting screws into the side of the base.
Why not keep the solenoid away from anything hot or moving? I put mine in the engine compartment screwed to an overhead horizontal piece. There would be room somewhere to put it, and it doesn't even have to be there, since it's only wire connecting to the plugs.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Good idea Stan. I will look to see if there is a good overhead mounting place. Probably much better than down low .
A complete rewire of engine & panel is next winters project.
I'm sure you saw the burnt butt connectors on my engine side wire harness I posted a week or so ago. I've started those repairs so I'm interested in your "safety circuit". I thought I would be getting the Mainsheet mag with my membership in the C30 association but haven't heard anything. I'll have to check into it.

Thanks

May 20, 2016
Good idea Stan. I will look to see if there is a good overhead mounting place. Probably much better than down low .

I'm sure you saw the burnt butt connectors on my engine side wire harness I posted a week or so ago. I've started those repairs so I'm interested in your "safety circuit". I thought I would be getting the Mainsheet mag with my membership in the C30 association but haven't heard anything. I'll have to check into it.

Thanks
One issue that keep coming up with the push button starter is that crap builds up in the button because the rubber cap has been compromised and it sticks with starter engaged. Then the starter and wiring gets hot enough to melt insulation and start fire if not caught.

You can move the starter to the key switch like it is on earlier seaward (Catalina) panels. The problem is they moved it off the key when the put in glow plug relays, cause it draws more amps than the switch is rated for (30A start then 10A when cranking). I put a relay into the start circuit thus lowering the current and letting the key handle it. I also ditched the glow plug switch and used a time delay off relay, glow plugs come on for 15seconds when ever I switch ignition from off to on. I also put a relay in so when glow plugs are on it kills the OP alarm circuit. Now I turn the key to on and do sometime else for 15 seconds. Then my OP alarm goes off and I start the engine. If the engine is warm I just start it and let glow plugs heat up while the engine runs.

Les