In Search of Used/Old Sails

JB1473

Feb 14, 2018
Hunter 19 SD
I would be grateful to anyone who could guide me toward a source for used sails. I am in search of a durable textile to repurpose and give it new life in a eco-friendly design project. Perhaps this question has been posed here before. I thank you in advance for all of the help. Sails with prints, design and letters desired. If anyone is interested in donating or selling, I would love to talk. ~Jess B

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
If this is a school thing I'd go to a local sailing marina or club and see if you can give out a flyer or talk at a meeting. I just sent my old sails to Seabags in Maine and they are sending me 2 bags from my original sails for all the material I sent them (original main and jib).

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Also check boaters resale shop of Texas located in Kemah Texas.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
If it doesn't have to be sail material, try contacting your local billboard advertising company. The company name is typically on the bottom of the billboard. The fabric used to print the billboard is very durable and you'll have a better chance of finding interesting patterns and graphics.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The fabric used to print the billboard is very durable
Do you think a sail for a backyard boat project could be made from that material? Something like a home made ice boat?

- Will (Dragonfly)

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
People make sails out of Tyvek and Tarps! The billboard fabric will work but you might want to use it as your storm sail for the ice boat because it's probably heavier than the sail cloth.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Do you think a sail for a backyard boat project could be made from that material? Something like a home made ice boat?

- Will (Dragonfly)
When I was in Maine bonus points for using different colored tarp was given! Think about a nice green camo pattern on that ice sail!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Profile says your in San Deiego. Minnies in Costa Mesa has thousands of used sails. For a non-sail project you may be able to sweettalk em on some of the older ones. Heck, I've got an old main I'd give away if you want - PM me.

JB1473

Feb 14, 2018
Hunter 19 SD
Profile says your in San Deiego. Minnies in Costa Mesa has thousands of used sails. For a non-sail project you may be able to sweettalk em on some of the older ones. Heck, I've got an old main I'd give away if you want - PM me.
Yes, I am now in San Diego. I have called Minnies. Great resource. I'll send you a note re: the main you referenced. Thank you. ~Jessica