Update on Five Month Voyage

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I can't load the video, so I'm assuming this is a deep sea salvage? The cost of any deep sea salvage is often prohibitive. Remember the nearly new million dollar Gunboat abandoned several years back? To the best of my knowledge, no one ever even attempted to recover her.
First you've actually got to find it, not quite as easy as it sounds, even with an approximate position. Then you must find it in weather that is conducive to attaching a tow line (if the boat even has a point that strong; if not you'll have to build one), or standby until the weather moderates.
Next, always the fun part, you begin to tow a vessel that has her own mind on what direction she wants to go, and often it isn't the same one as the tow. If possible, you can put someone on the wheel of the towed vessel, but that's pretty risky if the weather goes to sh*t and you can't recover those crew members.
A lot of times the tow line will break or the strong point you've attached to isn't as strong as you had hoped. As this often happens in bad weather, you'll once again have to stand by until the weather moderates to hook up again. On a long tow, this can happen over and over again.
Quite often, even with big ships, the cost of salvage can easily far exceed the value of the vessel and even her cargo. Then there are the legal hassles of being in possession of a vessel you don't own. Almost as much fun as a broken tow line....

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
She is riding low on her lines. I'm guessing the bilge pump is NOT working.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I can't load the video, so I'm assuming this is a deep sea salvage? The cost of any deep sea salvage is often prohibitive. Remember the nearly new million dollar Gunboat abandoned several years back? To the best of my knowledge, no one ever even attempted to recover her.
First you've actually got to find it, not quite as easy as it sounds, even with an approximate position. Then you must find it in weather that is conducive to attaching a tow line (if the boat even has a point that strong; if not you'll have to build one), or standby until the weather moderates.
Next, always the fun part, you begin to tow a vessel that has her own mind on what direction she wants to go, and often it isn't the same one as the tow. If possible, you can put someone on the wheel of the towed vessel, but that's pretty risky if the weather goes to sh*t and you can't recover those crew members.
A lot of times the tow line will break or the strong point you've attached to isn't as strong as you had hoped. As this often happens in bad weather, you'll once again have to stand by until the weather moderates to hook up again. On a long tow, this can happen over and over again.
Quite often, even with big ships, the cost of salvage can easily far exceed the value of the vessel and even her cargo. Then there are the legal hassles of being in possession of a vessel you don't own. Almost as much fun as a broken tow line....
Excellent perspective. Yea, I didn't think it was likely; just tongue-in-cheek. But you bring out points I hadn't considered. In fact, today I saw an attempt to tow a Cal 30 (I believe) in some big seas along the coast in the area of Santa Barbara in big seas. There was a note saying the attempt was abandoned.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Sad. After all, it is not the fault of the yacht. Boats will take care of us if we take care of them.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
"Asking not to litter the Oceans with plastic....." Go complain to the US Navy who left her adrift. The race crew could have scuttled her but wait, the race committee will not redress them for time lost. Easy to preach about cleaning the Oceans but passing the buck to the Authorities not so cool. Welcome to the real world; two persons and a dog were rescued and that boat is but a speck of sand in the garbage floating out there.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Too bad they do not have beacon balls. Little balls with solar panels (like garden lights) and a low power transmitter (.5 watts) that sends out an AIS signal. These little beacon balls can be thrown on board an abandoned vessel for tracking. At least the vessel would show up on someone's AIS receiver.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'll bet that boat has seen far bigger seas since losing her crew than she ever saw with two people and a dog on board. What brand of boat is she?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I guess the question is... why not just scuttle her when the owner abandoned the boat?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That derelict needs to be put down, she’s done. 5 rounds, 50 Cal should do the job.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe the local control in San Carlos (cartels) add a tax. Would think any Big Box store in AZ could support your need.
Last time I was visiting a small AZ town I met a local cowboy with his 6 shooter on his belt. Told me it was not one of those toys shooting blanks.. Chocked it up to an AZ thing.