Who to believe

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
hi
I recently bought an O’day 27. Anyways I got a really good deal on it. It’s in good interior condition and needs a new top paint job. I know there’s two soft spots on the deck and above the cabin otherwise everything is solid in my opinion. A guy that’s been around sailboats all his life and nearly bought mind before I had the chance is the one that pointed it out to me. Anyways a guy that makes a living fixing boats was out by it today and new it was mind so went onboard and said the complete deck, above the cabin and complete cockpit needs to be replaced. Who do I believe?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Maybe the "good deal" was someone wanting to unload it. Did you get a survey by any chance? His opinion?
It would be hard for anyone not physically present to say who is right.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Based on the fact that you got a 'really good deal', its at least 40 years old, and an its an o'day, I'm guessing the 2nd guy. Sadly.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's your boat now, so you don't have to spend any money that you don't want to spend. Is it soft around the mast? Can you see the roof flex around the mast? What happens when you tighten shrouds? Do cracks appear around the mast? Does the bulkhead underneath seem to flex? On the deck, around the areas where it is soft, do you see cracks?
Make your own observations and then make up your own mind. If you got a really good deal on an O'Day 27, that probably means that you didn't spend a lot of money to begin with. If the boat has defects, it's a pretty good bet that you can live with them, unless you see flexing or movement that looks like a pretty obvious problem. There isn't always a real need to throw money at an imperfect boat.

I bought my 27' boat almost 14 years ago, not knowing really anything about soft cores, etc. I hired a surveyor and he probably wrote something down such as "soft decks", which I could feel underfoot on my own. There weren't any cracks so I didn't worry about it. 14 years later, they are still soft and I still don't feel much need to worry. I might get around to doing something about it someday, but in the meantime, I'll just keep sailing.
I've fixed leaks, stiffened bulkheads and done several improvements when it seemed like there was an obvious need.

To shorten a long story, don't let somebody tell you what you need to do on your boat. If you can sail it, consider yourself fortunate. Make your own observations and then make your own decisions based on what you see.
You can always come into this forum to get clarification if you see things that bother you. Take photos! There are a lot of guys in here that you can believe (but I may not be one of them!) ;)

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Ok, I spoke with the guy. I miss understood what he was saying. He said all I need to get it sailing is a bit of new rigging. He said the decks are soft but nothing cracking. He sail it’s pretty already so there’s a few winter jobs that we can do. He also said I got a good deal. So I’d say my decks are about like Scott’s. I panicked based on his text. As for the soft spot on the top of the cabin it’s not that bad. He said it’s sail worthy now. Just need to buy an outboard motor. Oh and I would always believe you Scott :0)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ditto to what Scott said, all of it, except I didn't buy my boat that long ago.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
on the go sailing front: Soft components to the boat can become a problem. One guy in our marina had a soft deck on an Oday 25. Went out in 15kts, and lost his rig. Of course that is just an extreme opposite story from Scott's/. Your boat, your choice, just be realistic about the risks. On the whole, I agree with Scott's post as long as you understand potential

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Well I’m going to have him start checking my boat once a week as I’m 2.5 hours away and can’t always make it up each weekend. He said he will make a short list for me next week to get it sailing for the season. I’m sure knowing this guy that if he thinks for a second it’s at risk he’d tell me. I do think it’s more like Scott’s discription. It’s over 40 yrs old. So I know it’s not like a new one and it’s also a good starter boat although I’m really growing close to the boat. So it may be with me for a long time.
Thanks again
Mike

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Based on the fact that you got a 'really good deal', its at least 40 years old, and an its an o'day, I'm guessing the 2nd guy. Sadly.
Hi Jackdaw
Are you saying that O’days in gereral all bad?
Just wondering

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
on the go sailing front: Soft components to the boat can become a problem.
Apex is absolutely correct that faulty areas that are connected to structural components are worrisome. Be sure to pay attention to anything that looks suspicious around the base of the mast and pay attention to the locations where chainplates from the stays and shrouds are connected to bulkheads. If you see leaks, looseness, flexing or cracking in these areas, you should address those problems.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
on the go sailing front: Soft components to the boat can become a problem. One guy in our marina had a soft deck on an Oday 25. Went out in 15kts, and lost his rig. Of course that is just an extreme opposite story from Scott's/. Your boat, your choice, just be realistic about the risks. On the whole, I agree with Scott's post as long as you understand potential
Is it a fact that the soft deck caused the problem? I've seen several boats (at least 4) lose a mast and none had a soft deck, they had other issues. From an engineering stand point it would have to be one heck of a soft deck for the deck to compress/bend enough for the rig to get loose enough for the mast to come down. Bad rigging, chainplate/bulkhead rot, compression post issue, probably, but soft deck... You might not be able to get racing tension and consistency on a boat with soft deck but I will sail on a soft deck long before I will sail on a boat with 30 year old or abused standing rigging.

I've got a boat with a gas inboard engine and they blow up "ALL" the time, Yea right.

I completely agree with everyone that a soft deck is an issue and a potential problem but probably less than driving to the marina with everyone around you texting and talking on the phone. You plays the games, and you takes your chances. My grand pappy always said. ;):):waycool:

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Until last summer, I had an O'Day 27. The deck above the anchor locker at the bow was soft when I bought it (called out in an insurance survey). I left it as is (no cracks) for 11 years. No issues. I agree with Scott T-Bird with everything he's said. O'Day's are great boats and worth the upkeep money you'll put in them, but try to triage your repairs for now with those that are truly necessary for safety.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Is it a fact that the soft deck caused the problem? I've seen several boats (at least 4) lose a mast and none had a soft deck, they had other issues. ........
ah, sorry: I did not complete the connection. Turns out there were additional leaks, esp at the bulkhead the cap shroud was attached to. The soft deck was just a warning of the state of repair. From my experience on the 25's, leaking chainplates are common. Point is still the same, READ/LEARN/INSPECT and understand your risks. Don't put others at risk if you don't understand.

re: All O'Days: No I don't think they are all poorly built. It is a general production boat, so some models have more issues. Expectations for build quality and life at 40years old should be considered in your evaluation of the boats current condition. I have an O'Day 28. There are some issues, but overall the boat is in good condition, and I sail it in conditions that I am comfortable the boat can handle.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
As I remember when I was looking the 27 was very similar to the 25 with wood compression post, and instead of a single chain plate to bulkhead I think it had at least 2 or 3 on each side. The one I looked at was cheap, but the post was rotted at the base, had to pull up the deck panel to see it, and several of the chain plates were lose with visible rote and water stains. I loved the idea of a bigger roomier boat for us but decide I had a pretty good 25 and didn't have as much issues. My biggest issue with my 25 is that the toe rails came very lose this season with the kids and that cause a dry boat to become a wet boat and messed up the cabin cushions. My wife wants the inside nice and fresh but I told her until I prove the leaks are gone I think it is a bad idea to do any cosmetic stuff inside this year. I have so far rebed all the deck hardware and penetrations, including chain plates and epoxy the toe rail holes for now till I can get new ones installed in fresh tight dry holes. I really like the bigger 27 BTW.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
O'day enjoyed a reputation as a quality production built coastal cruiser. The most common criticism was that they "were a little pricey". They were more well built than many others and many have survived decades of neglect. All cored boats are subject to water intrusion from deck penetrations and all need constant inspection. An older boat is an opportunity to learn about boat repair. Boat ownership is always a learning experience. Wet decks are common and mostly easy to repair. What areas are delaminated and how big. You likely can sail her for years as is but if you search here and other places like youtube you will see that repair may just take drilling small holes in the deck, vacuuming out the moisture, filling the holes, repainting and you're good for another 40 years.
West System is an excellent source of information. Boatworks is the best on YouTube. I have just about every book there is on boat maintenance and I find the best are Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Repair Manual by Calder, Boat Maintenance by Burr and Fiberglass Boat Repairs Illustrated by Marshall. I have all the books by Casey but find them too simplistic. The first three will cover most repairs in detail.
Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I have no cracks. There is a spot that in the boats past life the forward tip of the boat got ripped open and sat ripped open for weeks unattended. So there’s a soft spot near their
IMO if the repair was done well enough that the stemhead fitting can take the load of the forestay it should work for a long time. Later models of many of the O'Days opened up the deck in that area of soft deck and put in an anchor locker. On my 23 I saw no extra reinforcement for this anchor box. If the area just aft of the stemhead fitting (first 8") is soft you will probably want to repair it due to the compression load there. In the slip loosen the forestay turnbuckle and re-tighten and see if anything is flexing. A cardboard template made when it is loose will help with the visual, of any movement. I'm with most people here and wonder where Jackdaw is coming from with his O'Day comment. Hey #Walt he's not the one bashing Macgregors is he. :) Hey Jackdaw, "I still love you man" :ass:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
He likes attention.? Maybe he was the accountant at O'day; maybe not? we bought our O'day new in 1986 and it has been a dream...but maybe, I got the only good boat they built....I've been very lucky.....Pat

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Regardless of who is right, I think you need to drain it. drill small holes and dry it out. That should give some perspective on the size of the problem. Water doesn't stay in one place. It seeps. Get it dried out, so it doesn't get worse. You may be able to back fill it with Wood Hardener from Menards if the areas are still small.
I almost bought a Mega 30 with a soft deck. It was a common problem with that boat. It would have required the whole deck to be removed and replaced. I decided the project was bigger than I was and turned it down. I did think through how many different possible ways I could go about fixing it. It was too big to just drill and drain.