GO Fund Me... the modern way to beg.

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
Isn't it an obligation of an older generation to pass on some wisdom to younger generations? Sure, some of the commentary and advise might seem a little harsh. Degeneration within a society is a real danger. Older generations gain wisdom and it is necessary to pass it along. I was 20 at one time and probably said the same things that you imply. Generosity is a virtue, freeloading is not. Evolution happens, we all know that. Evolution isn't necessarily all progress.
First, it is the parents obligation to pass on wisdom. Random older people can share their wisdom if it is welcome, it isn't an obligation on either side(to give or receive) although I do accept and enjoy advice from my elders.
Second, I'm 43, not 20. And I'm raising 2 sons, trying to make them the best people they can be. As self sufficient as possible, but not afraid to ask for help, or give it when needed.
Third, generosity is a virtue, true. But you are judging people as freeloaders based on one Web page. You have no idea if they have donated to others before and how much. I help people when I can, and accept help when I need. And I'm not as
Isn't it an obligation of an older generation to pass on some wisdom to younger generations? Sure, some of the commentary and advise might seem a little harsh. Degeneration within a society is a real danger. Older generations gain wisdom and it is necessary to pass it along. I was 20 at one time and probably said the same things that you imply. Generosity is a virtue, freeloading is not. Evolution happens, we all know that. Evolution isn't necessarily all progress.
Hey Scott,
First point is that it is the obligation of parents to pass on wisdom to their children. Other elders may, and should offer their wisdom, if it is welcomed. Elders should be respected, but so should the younger generation.
Second, I'm 43 not 20. I'm also raising 2 teenage boys to be as self sufficient as possible, but to offer and accept help when needed.
Third, you are calling someone a freeloader based on one Web page in one moment in time. You have no idea if they have helped others or how much. If I donate to the food bank when I have the ability, but later need a free meal, am I free loading?
And I agree evolution isn't necessarily progress. but just because it isn't progress in your or my mind doesn't mean it isn't for the next generation. Go fund me is part of the world we now live in. If you don't want to donate, don't! If others do, how does it hurt or even affect you.
If all parties involved(asking or giving) are happy with the interaction, who does it hurt?

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
I didn't see where anyone implied they were "pissed off" by generosity or compassion - did you?

More accurately stated, it appears the consensus opinion with which I agree is those traits shouldn't be a substitute some rely upon over accountability and responsibility, two character traits parents often fail to teach their children.

These kid are clearly not publicizing the event as a teaching opportunity. And benefiting from the generosity and compassion of others certainly teaches the wrong lesson which rightfully might "piss off" some people as an example of how not to behave.
Hey Don,
I took the op "burr in my pants" as pissed off, my apologies.
In terms of accountability and responsibility, if you are meaning the most recent couple that sunk their boat on a sand bar, with or without the keel still on(haven't heard for sure which is true) then how is raising money to remove the boat not being responsible or accountable. They are trying to clean up their mess with the tools they have available.
And I commend you for being able to live your life without ever needing generosity or compassion from others. You are the first person I have ever met that has been able to do so.
We have no idea how generous or compassionate they are themselves. All we know is one event of one day in there twenty some years.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
There's a thin line between "burr in my pants" and "pissed off." I'm dumb enough to not be able to see that line. Maybe somebody will be kind enough to explain the difference. If the implication that I would appreciate such assistance puts a burr in your pants, please disregard this post.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Go fund me is part of the world we now live in. If you don't want to donate, don't! If others do, how does it hurt or even affect you.
If all parties involved(asking or giving) are happy with the interaction, who does it hurt?
Go Fund Me is a great innovation, as far as I'm concerned! If a cop gets killed by a freeloading scum, and his wife and daughter receive the funds for living expense and college via Go Fund Me, that's a great thing but doesn't come nearly close enough for retribution. This episode with the couple and their boat maybe gives Go Fund Me a bad rap. I'll concede your point that if the money is used to salvage the boat so that it isn't a public nuisance, that is at least worthwhile. :clap::clap:
But I didn't call this couple 'freeloaders' (I merely said it is not a virtue), even though they might be. It's true, I don't know. This is the Sails Call Lounge ... an internet forum ... where venting opinions is a form of leisure and maybe even therapy :rolleyes: I don't feel a need to hold back my opinion for fear of being uninformed or wrong. As you say, who does it hurt if anonymous people lay out their opinion?
Go Fund Me may be like the lottery you gotta be in it to win it. There may be no harm in trying. Except the odds of cashing in may be better than the lottery! The downside is our society's degeneration into dependency.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There's a thin line between "burr in my pants" and "pissed off." I'm dumb enough to not be able to see that line. Maybe somebody will be kind enough to explain the difference.....
My theory is I don't get "pissed off" until I get "pissed on" . They don't have any of my money- like that C G documentation scam.

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
Go Fund Me is a great innovation, as far as I'm concerned! If a cop gets killed by a freeloading scum, and his wife and daughter receive the funds for living expense and college via Go Fund Me, that's a great thing but doesn't come nearly close enough for retribution. This episode with the couple and their boat maybe gives Go Fund Me a bad rap. I'll concede your point that if the money is used to salvage the boat so that it isn't a public nuisance, that is at least worthwhile. :clap::clap:
But I didn't call this couple 'freeloaders' (I merely said it is not a virtue), even though they might be. It's true, I don't know. This is the Sails Call Lounge ... an internet forum ... where venting opinions is a form of leisure and maybe even therapy :rolleyes: I don't feel a need to hold back my opinion for fear of being uninformed or wrong. As you say, who does it hurt if anonymous people lay out their opinion?
Go Fund Me may be like the lottery you gotta be in it to win it. There may be no harm in trying. Except the odds of cashing in may be better than the lottery! The downside is our society's degeneration into dependency.
Exactly why I share my opinion.
Anonymous forum, and vented stress from day to day life.
I typically don't offer money to help strangers, I would rather help physically, and have never donated on go fund me.
I choose different venues to donate to.
It just bothers me when I see people being judged harshly by strangers based on such little info.
But I would still rather debate over a beer, face to face. But that's probably a generation thing;-)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
The downside is our society's degeneration into dependency.
I've been a think-for-myself mugwump since the day I escaped my mother's womb, and I've been a do-it-myself guy since I learned how to pour milk on a bowl of cereal and make a peanut butter sandwich. Yet I still can appreciate that a society that is characterized by generous and voluntarily assistance to individuals in time of need might just be a better society than one made up of the Social Darwinists that are so prevalent among today's older folks. Allow each generation to shape their society as they want it. After all, they are reacting to what the previous generations have left them.

From my perspective, group-think is far more detrimental than group-help.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Allow each generation to shape their society as they want it. After all, they are reacting to what the previous generations have left them.

From my perspective, group-think is far more detrimental than group-help.
I go along with that perspective. The striking reality is that our thoughts about independence and welfare would seem to be a dichotomy, but it's not. I think we value independence while at the same time we are also generous. It's not conflicting. It's a result of being prepared and moral. When we condone or encourage dependence, it's a false path that harms society.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
The other side of that is check ou the RV parks. Start a YouTube Channel, beg for thumbs up and Patreons. Make a video and the National RV Parks are now trailer parks full of homeless squatters with rent money. At least the ocean is a bit bigger but... just sayin....

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hey Don,
I took the op "burr in my pants" as pissed off, my apologies.
In terms of accountability and responsibility, if you are meaning the most recent couple that sunk their boat on a sand bar, with or without the keel still on(haven't heard for sure which is true) then how is raising money to remove the boat not being responsible or accountable. They are trying to clean up their mess with the tools they have available.
And I commend you for being able to live your life without ever needing generosity or compassion from others. You are the first person I have ever met that has been able to do so.
We have no idea how generous or compassionate they are themselves. All we know is one event of one day in there twenty some years.
I said "benefiting from the generosity of others..."

I didn't say such traits (as generosity) are bad or that I don't value them.

If you want to take the morally superior road to lecture me, please get rid of the sarcasm and not criticize me (and others) for things we never said.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I concur with your thoughts on the above situation. But let me share an uplifting aspect of GoFundMe. Three or so years ago I took my daughter and her boyfriend who were both in college duck hunting. His young black Labrador escaped into the dark early morning and was hit by a car. The dog had a severely injured hip, the vet said that the dog needed to get a new hip. She was a beautiful one-year-old black lab. My daughter’s boyfriend being in college didn’t have the requisite money to pay for the operation. So they posted a picture of the dog on GoFundMe asking for help to pay for her new hip, which the Texas A&M University could do at their college of veterinary medicine. Within 24 hours he had enough money to pay for his dogs new hip. She got the surgery and now as an almost 5-year-old black lab is hunting and working normally. No one who donated gave more than $100 to help this happen. So there can be some redeeming value in some of these things.

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
I said "benefiting from the generosity of others..."

I didn't say such traits (as generosity) are bad or that I don't value them.

If you want to take the morally superior road to lecture me, please get rid of the sarcasm and not criticize me (and others) for things we never said.
How do you not benefit from compassion and generosity? If someone is being generous with you, you are benefiting from it. Whether that generosity is in the form of money, food, help, anything.
I am having trouble understanding what your point is.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Probably a mistake to pile on, but I am a curmudgeon and can't help myself.
First, everyone is entitled to give money to whoever they want. My problem is with people stupid enough to give money to people who want it for stupid reasons, like a boat. There are a zillion threads on this site and others that make clear that a boat is a luxury item, not an investment. Doesn't matter if it is an old patched canoe or a mega-yacht. If you don't need it to get to work, or maybe someplace to buy food, it is a luxury item. Personally, I distinguish between begging for food and begging for a luxury item. Buying strangers luxury items is a waste of money. Wasting money is stupid.
Second, everyone is able to ask for money for whatever they want. They can ask. I do agree with many above, however, that people generally should have more self-respect and responsibility. Every dollar they get for a luxury item is probably a dollar less available to someone with a real need. I also agree with some posters that when one person gets money this way it encourages bad behavior and unrealistic expectations by others. In pop-psychological parlance, we are "enabling" them to believe they are entitled to a lifestyle without working for it. Ultimately, this is not good for society.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Having been bucked off a horse for no reason that I could understand, I learned that sometimes burrs happen. You got to drop your drawers :ass: and extract the burr and move forward.

I have enjoyed the many responses and find agreement with most. Quite often it is a matter of perspective.

This forum gives us all a great place to share ideas and even helps to extract the occasional burr. For that I am very grateful.

Scott. I very much liked and understood your observations of the "Mom's" and have been in similar situations of the "wants" trying to be with the "Haves" wondering what are these folks thinking.

Will, I spent 25 years coaching / teaching young folk, not as a full time career but alongside my day job. Go forth and complete your Masters. It will likely not change a thing in your life. But it will be yours. Accomplishments big and small are worthwhile. I did that with a Masters in Teaching that I have never used to earn an income.

Once thing I learned is that in dealing with the Mom's of the world, I often contributed to individual children's needs. But with every team, it was the team members who needed to earn the funds, for travel or special events. We did car washes and bake sales giving a service for the support. Never just "Will you give me money". Did we sometimes just receive money, well of course. One of the more interesting activities occurred when our U14 girls Soccer team was invited to compete in a regional out of state event. We organized a car wash like many, but we went around and sold "GET YOUR CAR WASHED" tickets. We raised nearly $1000 on $5 tickets. But on the weekend of the car wash we only had 42 cars to wash. Even your best intentions of giving a service for the financial support can be overwhelmed by the generosity of a community. We went to our competition. Placed second in the event. Had a positive experience. And the kids organized a second weekend of free car washes to thank the the community that supported them. :biggrin: This had me smiling.

Maybe this is why I favor the concept of the "Habitat for Humanity" over the idea of "GoFundMe".

I was moved by the story of the successful "GoFundMe" experience and one year Labrador in Texas.

Thanks all for helping me remove my burr.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I know this couple has been reported to GoFundMe for fraud and some folks have actually been refunded.

-Their first campaign stated they needed the money to; "This gufundme account is solely to get the boat out of the water!"

-They then edited the campaign statement to read; "The 10k is to get the boat out of the water! It is first and most important thing we need to do. Anything extra is to get a new boat and continue our adventure."

-They then edited the statement again and removed any and all references to removing the sunk boat to; "The first thing we is a new boat and continue our adventure."

-Finally, after being reported/caught, and after GoFundMe returned some money to folks who paid, based on the first campaign statement, they changed it once again to re-include removing the boat.

I see this as straight up deceitful & intentionally misleading fraud. The screen shots and GoFundMe returning money to some individuals who've complained of fraud, seems to indicate they too believe it was fraudulent or at the very least misleading too. Sad really...

Meanwhile, just yesterday, I saw this in a group I am in and no attempt has yet been made at removing the boat. It's not the job of the USCG or a local community to clean up after them, they know and admit this yet have done squat.. Someone else may sink their own boat due to this navigational hazard and in this case it may be a good lesson if they take them to court to pay for the damages...

It is just offensive that they have over 15k and the boat is still there....