GO Fund Me... the modern way to beg.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Will I didn't know you were a educator as well. You sure have had a very busy life for only 55 years of age (I read your birthday tread) God bless.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm two math classes short of my master's in education/mathematics. I don't think I'm going to finish. My wife and I have changed directions.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The article says 'all their possessions and savings' went down with the boat. So what did they lose in regard to savings? Are they saying that they lost cash money that just floated away or settled into the sand underneath the water? The boat seems to be beached now, so what did they lose that couldn't be recovered? Oh, I guess that they may have meant that all of their savings were invested in the boat. It's funny how the article is purposely written to tug at our heartstrings, as if to imply that they lost so much more than just that old boat, which seems to be recoverable. They could probably even recover the keel and put it back on the boat if they wanted to. But that would probably mean that they would have to go back to work for "the man" and compromise their soul in doing so.
The begging for money thing seems to be epidemic. A few summers ago I went into the local Quick Check for a sandwich and found a table set up outside the store where a group of neighborhood moms were soliciting money for their son's baseball team. The kids were just kind of milling around, goofing off and having fun. This was happening in the heart of the wealthiest county, in about the wealthiest state in the country. Their baseball team won a regional tournament and wanted to go to Florida for a "National" tournament. 'Please help these deserving kids pursue their baseball dreams'.
I went inside, where the folks at the counter and making the sandwiches are largely immigrant, with a mixture of local kids, all working for about minimum wage or a bit more and said, "are you ok with this?" I got a few knowing smirks in return. They couldn't help what the manager allowed outside their front door.
When I went outside, I couldn't help but say to the moms "it's really fine that you rich suburbanites are outside here teaching your kids to panhandle in front of a bunch of folks who are working for minimum wage". Boy, did I ever get jeered. They yelled at me 'you loser ... you probably never won anything in your life!' I turned to the kids and said how do you guys feel about your wealthy suburban moms begging for money to provide for your nice vacation. I got a few surprised looks!
I told this story to a friend of ours. Their son plays on a hockey team and the mom said that she hates it that the team organizers make the parents go out to do that sort of thing if their kid is going to be on the team (it's the moms that actually have to do the dirty work, the dads usually just disappear to avoid embarrassment). She said it wouldn't be so bad if they actually organized a car wash or some kind of service, but they don't want to do that - too much effort. The simplest way to go about raising money is to just set up a table outside a local store and panhandle. There seems to be enough moms that are enthusiastic about this form of money raising (just my observation - sorry moms :redface::redface:)
I don't know about anybody else, but I could never stoop to that level. I paid for my kids sports and activities and that's that. A lot of folks would make the point that the kids have to do something to earn the privilege and I can't disagree with that, either.
If we teach our kids to panhandle in these subtle ways, they will learn the lessons.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Scott,
Very nicely written. Please keep in mind that the culture in the wealthiest segment of our population has a strong element of "fund raising". These moms are really teaching the skills needed too manage and fund the world's charitable foundations. Many of whom practice a much harder sell than the little league team sitting at a table outside the Piggly Wiggly.
That said, cookies are always nice.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
The article says 'all their possessions and savings' went down with the boat. So what did they lose in regard to savings? Are they saying that they lost cash money that just floated away or settled into the sand underneath the water? The boat seems to be beached now, so what did they lose that couldn't be recovered? Oh, I guess that they may have meant that all of their savings were invested in the boat. It's funny how the article is purposely written to tug at our heartstrings, as if to imply that they lost so much more than just that old boat, which seems to be recoverable. They could probably even recover the keel and put it back on the boat if they wanted to. But that would probably mean that they would have to go back to work for "the man" and compromise their soul in doing so.
The begging for money thing seems to be epidemic. A few summers ago I went into the local Quick Check for a sandwich and found a table set up outside the store where a group of neighborhood moms were soliciting money for their son's baseball team. The kids were just kind of milling around, goofing off and having fun. This was happening in the heart of the wealthiest county, in about the wealthiest state in the country. Their baseball team won a regional tournament and wanted to go to Florida for a "National" tournament. 'Please help these deserving kids pursue their baseball dreams'.
I went inside, where the folks at the counter and making the sandwiches are largely immigrant, with a mixture of local kids, all working for about minimum wage or a bit more and said, "are you ok with this?" I got a few knowing smirks in return. They couldn't help what the manager allowed outside their front door.
When I went outside, I couldn't help but say to the moms "it's really fine that you rich suburbanites are outside here teaching your kids to panhandle in front of a bunch of folks who are working for minimum wage". Boy, did I ever get jeered. They yelled at me 'you loser ... you probably never won anything in your life!' I turned to the kids and said how do you guys feel about your wealthy suburban moms begging for money to provide for your nice vacation. I got a few surprised looks!
I told this story to a friend of ours. Their son plays on a hockey team and the mom said that she hates it that the team organizers make the parents go out to do that sort of thing if their kid is going to be on the team (it's the moms that actually have to do the dirty work, the dads usually just disappear to avoid embarrassment). She said it wouldn't be so bad if they actually organized a car wash or some kind of service, but they don't want to do that - too much effort. The simplest way to go about raising money is to just set up a table outside a local store and panhandle. There seems to be enough moms that are enthusiastic about this form of money raising (just my observation - sorry moms :redface::redface:)
I don't know about anybody else, but I could never stoop to that level. I paid for my kids sports and activities and that's that. A lot of folks would make the point that the kids have to do something to earn the privilege and I can't disagree with that, either.
If we teach our kids to panhandle in these subtle ways, they will learn the lessons.
Well said Scott.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We always did car washes with our Boy Scouts to help raise money for their out of town camps! Kids planned and organized, kids washed the cars, kids collected the donations and kids cleaned up afterwards. A better life lesson, I think.

Oct 26, 2008
Scott,
Very nicely written. Please keep in mind that the culture in the wealthiest segment of our population has a strong element of "fund raising". These moms are really teaching the skills needed too manage and fund the world's charitable foundations. Many of whom practice a much harder sell than the little league team sitting at a table outside the Piggly Wiggly.
That said, cookies are always nice.

- Will (Dragonfly)
I disagree. The wealthiest segment of our population stroke their ego and have a tax savings strategy in mind with their fund raising. Sure, it makes them feel better about themselves and provides a great opportunity to throw some really impressive charity balls and such. It's nice that they fund some really impressive edifices that they can point to with a sense of achievement and possession, even if they are public.
In my example, I'm not talking about ultra-wealthy parents teaching their kids about fund raising. Those folks would never stoop to that level for their own kids. They exhibit WAY too much opulent wealth to do that. What I'm looking at are basically middle class parents whom live among the most opulent wealth in the country. The high price of living is all around them, and they make the case to themselves 'look, everybody else has everything they want, why not me? They may not be comfortable paying for the extra activities because they can't quite afford it. That would mean that they might have to SACRIFICE, shudder the thought! Isn't it better to set up a table and beg for an afternoon or 2? We might pick up a few hundred to pay for that hotel room we'll need for a couple of nights.

Last edited:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I much prefer GoFundMe, the modern way to beg, than all the in-my-face panhandling by Girl Scouts, Salvation Army, fast-food and grocery checkout clerks asking me to donate to a different charity that I've never heard of every week, and kids sent out to get money for their schools, sports teams, and churches. I ignore them all, but GoFund Me does not make me step around it on my way out of the grocery store. My charitable donations are made in full to three charities of my choice, every year. I also take advantage of Smile.amazon.com.

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
It always amazes me how each generation complains about the stupid stuff "young people" are doing these days.
Devil music rock and roll, fast cars, different drugs, sitting too close to the TV, Ect.
Go fund me sites are a fact of the new generation. They use it to help others in need. How is that bad?
In what way does it hurt, or even affect you?
I also hear how kids are being ruined because nobody loses, or fails tests. But when they help others in need, helping resolve a "fail" like losing their boat and all their worldly possesions, then it's beggars and suckers.
Maybe the younger generation is just more compassionate and generous.
Yeah, I can see how that can piss you off!

Oct 26, 2008
We always did car washes with our Boy Scouts to help raise money for their out of town camps! Kids planned and organized, kids washed the cars, kids collected the donations and kids cleaned up afterwards. A better life lesson, I think.
That's kind of a midwestern, (flyover country ;)) ethos, I think. I'm afraid that many folks along the coastal states don't generally behave that way (generalization). I have those kinds of arguments with my brother, who lives in Iowa. He sees more responsible government behavior and far more rational behavior among all citizens than I complain about in our neck of the woods. He doesn't understand my complaints. I'm smart enough to understand his point of view (because I have lived there, too)! ;)

Oct 26, 2008
It always amazes me how each generation complains about the stupid stuff "young people" are doing these days.
Devil music rock and roll, fast cars, different drugs, sitting too close to the TV, Ect.
Go fund me sites are a fact of the new generation. They use it to help others in need. How is that bad?
I also hear how kids are being ruined because nobody loses, or fails tests. But when they help others in need, helping resolve a "fail" like losing their boat and all their worldly possesions, then it's beggars and suckers.
Isn't it an obligation of an older generation to pass on some wisdom to younger generations? Sure, some of the commentary and advise might seem a little harsh. Degeneration within a society is a real danger. Older generations gain wisdom and it is necessary to pass it along. I was 20 at one time and probably said the same things that you imply. Generosity is a virtue, freeloading is not. Evolution happens, we all know that. Evolution isn't necessarily all progress.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I didn't see where anyone implied they were "pissed off" by generosity or compassion - did you?

More accurately stated, it appears the consensus opinion with which I agree is those traits shouldn't be a substitute some rely upon over accountability and responsibility, two character traits parents often fail to teach their children.

These kid are clearly not publicizing the event as a teaching opportunity. And benefiting from the generosity and compassion of others certainly teaches the wrong lesson which rightfully might "piss off" some people as an example of how not to behave.

Oct 26, 2008
Scott,
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. Is it the cookies?

- Will (Dragonfly)
I never met a cookie I didn't like! :waycool: I get mildly annoyed with the barrage of contribution requests I see at work, but I did buy 4 boxes of GS cookies. (I doubt I'll share them with anybody).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
He doesn't understand my complaints.
I do!
I have lived in DE, KY, TN,LA,TX,OK,MS,CA, Mexico and traveled to Asia, Europe, Bahamas, Jamaica, Brazil
I have close relatives in NY,CA,NJ,FL,AL,OK,OR. The Admiral was born in Canada and the ex lived in and went to High School in Australia and Jamaica.

Most comments here are about METHODS and not MOTIVATIONS.

I found that Coastal USA seems to suspect MOTIVATIONS and are slow to accept new friends, unless they see immediate agreement with their own personal views. Also they are quick to get "first impressions" and slow to break them. Once they see you are not Dracula incarnate, Coastal USA people warm up nicely, and are apt to be life friends.
______
Methods
Some Methods do reflect Motivations and perhaps demonstrate poor Role Models.
I get emails daily as a Method to donate to a political cause that are Motivations.
I also get email to Steal Money from my family and the Motivation is obvious.
Methods can be Creative, Deceptive. and/or Mundane.
________
Gut Level Mores [IMHO ]
95%+ people I have encountered have the same basic moral base. They want to enjoy life and have hope for the future of their family. They all have dreams for the future. Just ask them one quiet discussion time.

_____
My Point...

Look to the Motivations and even the Efficiency of any donation you make. Methods will vary.

Jim...

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I never met a cookie I didn't like! :waycool: I get mildly annoyed with the barrage of contribution requests I see at work, but I did buy 4 boxes of GS cookies. (I doubt I'll share them with anybody).
Have you opened the box yet? my wife bought a couple boxes from the GS last year and I was shocked and dissapointed to see that they are now using a new box liner that only holds about half as many cookies inside the same size box of old. seemed like kind of a slap in the face to me. :(

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I'm gonna wager on this one that says they will not spend a single dime of this "free money" paying to have their mess cleaned up (boat salvaged & removed from water) and will walk away from their sunken boat & just let the taxpayers pay to clear it and move right on as if nothing happened. Just a WAG. I hope they prove me wrong and do the right thing with the money..
We can assume that the USCG, Florida DNR and the federal prosecutor all have computers and now know these two just came into the financial resources sufficient to meet legal responsibilities to remove their derelict vessel. They will either remove their vessel or the government will and they will be assessed for the costs.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Ocean exploration has been funded by patrons since the beginning. Magellan, Columbus, Shackleton, etc... did not fund their own voyages. They were worthy voyages to expand our understanding of our world.

These, however, are something different. They are just escapism from responsibility. They are not worthy. Whether they leased a 40 foot luxury Cat or bought a beater with their last pennies...

I did enjoy that Appleton only raised $15 of the $50,000 that was her goal to “pursue the media.” Oh brother!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If you want to raise money for a "team," raise money honestly. That means GET A JOB. For kids, mow lawns, rake leaves, work part time, etc. I was on some teams like that, refused to participate in begging, and paid my way with money I earned the old fashioned way. Anything else sends exactly the wrong moral lesson. Whether organized begging is a good life lesson is different; learning to get money from others can be very valuable life lesson, depending on your scruples and the value of the cause.