Teak cabin top rails

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hi All,

I am in the process of making my exterior teak look good again. I have a 1972 C22. It is not a pop-top. The teak rails that fasten the cabin top were installed from the cabin interior with wood screws. There is not a lot of room to fasten these screws because the cabin top slides take up a lot of the area. I am concerned that I will put in a screw that will go thru the slide area of the rail. The PO put many misplaced screws in this track and I don't want to repeat that if I can help it. It seems almost like drilling blind from beneath and hoping for the best. There must be a technique to do this procedure.
How have you been able to successfully attach the top rails? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Kevin

Mar 8, 2016
catalina 22 st marys ga
Hi All,

I am in the process of making my exterior teak look good again. I have a 1972 C22. It is not a pop-top. The teak rails that fasten the cabin top were installed from the cabin interior with wood screws. There is not a lot of room to fasten these screws because the cabin top slides take up a lot of the area. I am concerned that I will put in a screw that will go thru the slide area of the rail. The PO put many misplaced screws in this track and I don't want to repeat that if I can help it. It seems almost like drilling blind from beneath and hoping for the best. There must be a technique to do this procedure.
How have you been able to successfully attach the top rails? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Kevin
If you pull the exsisting screws out you can put new one size bigger ones w/ a squirt of calk back in same holes of both cabin top and rails No need to drill anything

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Wood to metal dowel screw. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDU1LT...t=&hvlocphy=9027276&hvtargid=pla-314747734448
Choose a size that is appropriate.
Make sure to use stainless nuts and washer inside the cabin. Bed with butyl.
This looks like the ticket. I have never used anything like this though. Do I:
1. Drill a pilot hole in the rail and screw in the hanger bolt into the rail. This would leave the "bolt end" sticking out of the teak rail.
2. Drill the cabin top.
3. Bed with butyl and insert thru the cabin top.
4. Tighten from inside the cabin with with washers and nuts.
5. Drink a beer and go sailing!

If I have missed anything or misunderstood (highly likely), please advise.

Thanks!
Kevin

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
You got it exactly right. Finish with an acorn nut inside the cabin if the bolt extends past the nut. Prevents splitting your scalp if you happen to bump it.

Good luck and get out there on the water!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just put everything back the same way it came off... mark each screw if they are different lengths to put back in their same holes. Don't use bolts... it looks better with screws and finish washers. I've removed my runners a number of times for refinishing.... no drilling, no new fasteners... just new sealant.

Here's a tip.... don't tighten the screws all the way down until you are satisfied all are in place.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
On my Hunter 31 the screws dont extend into the cabin but are just screwed to the deck. I have resisted removing them to refinish as I am worried about being able to reattach them securely without causing leaks

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I got rid of mine... see my post in your question about deck organizers.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
How do you keep the cabin top on the boat? Maybe you have a pop-top model?
Oops... I meant that I got rid of my teak Grab-rails... I did also get rid of the teak cabin-top slide rails, but I replaced them with the starboard plastic ones from Catalina Direct. Stainless screws from the bottom, I have no real issues with how they are placed and they hold well.