Mainsail slug binds in the mast track

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
When I try to raise my mainsail, the slug at the head binds in the track about 12inches below the masthead, preventing the sail from being fully raised. I've tried jerking the main halyard, putting all my weight on it, lubing the track, nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I'd hate to force it up,and then not be able to lower the mainsail.

Caveats:
The sail is old, and could probably be recut.
The slugs are 1/2". I have one at the head of the sail. I read somewhere that adding a second slug just below the topmost one would help.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Although it is true that having double slugs at the head of the sail will keep the slugs aligned better, it sounds like you have some restriction in the mast. Your best option would be to drop the mast (fairly easy on a Mac) and try the sail slugs in the mast while it's down. Then you'll be able to pin point the issue better.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
A picture of the head of the sail would be helpful. Is there more than one attachment point for the halyard? How are you attaching the halyard to the head? I'm thinking that the halyard sheave is not seeing a fair lead. Having the sail head attached too far from the luft line (aft of the luft line proper) will cause problems. If the method of attachment does not allow the halyard to lead fair that will cause things to get bound up. this is much more important as the head gets close to the sheave.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
An old main. An old halyard and swivel? Likely, there is twisting as the halyard reaches its end and the sail won't let it twist. (Just a guess, of course, but easy to check and fix if I'm right).

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
Try raising the boom with your boom lift.

I had the same problem. When I pulled the boom lift, so as to raise the boom a few inches more than where it was when the slugs got jammed. It worked. The slugs then traversed to the top. Simple solution to an irritating problem.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.... I read somewhere that adding a second slug just below the topmost one would help.

I put two close together and so far no problems with the main. The picture above is our old main but did the same with the new one,

Sumner
===========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Traveler's comment will most likely solve the problem. Release the mainsheet and boom vang, even try lifting it with your shoulder or the topping lift, to take the pressure off the leech, and thus the top off the sail.... Before you hoist again, spray a little SailKote.. or silicon lubricant on the slug and the sail track.