Hunter 260 - Better option than roller reefing jib in heavy wind?

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
When I solo sailed my 260 in heavier fall weather I had issues of weather helm and also the jib sheets releasing from the cam cleat under heavy gusts. The more upward angle of the line leading to the clew of the jib and strong gusts would send the jib sheets flailing in 25+mph gusts, out of the cam cleat.

Has anyone attached a storm jib to the 260? I am still very new to all of this, but it seems the foresail staying closer to the center of the boat and at a more proper angle would be much preferred, I'm just not sure of what's possible since there's no inner stay. I know there are products like a storm bag, etc. but those seem a bit awkward to deploy in heavy wind as well. I am on a small lake at present, but I'd like to venture to Erie this season and want to be prepared for heavy wind should it come up.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Your leeward jibsheet goes thru a fairlead, wraps around the winch and still comes out of the cleat? I'd try more wraps around the winch. If that doesn't do it, maybe your cleats are worn out. Just my $.02

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Being a fractional rig, have you tried sailing on reefed main alone? We do it on H23.5 and H260.

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
Your leeward jibsheet goes thru a fairlead, wraps around the winch and still comes out of the cleat? I'd try more wraps around the winch. If that doesn't do it, maybe your cleats are worn out. Just my $.02
Actually the fairlead and cleat is together, small Harken setup, and the winch is behind/beside the cleat (and is not self-tailing).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
Being a fractional rig, have you tried sailing on reefed main alone? We do it on H23.5 and H260.
Yes, I have done that, and have found more luck with that than keeping the jib out and reefed down. I felt like I may be more balanced with both sails, but I have been able to tack upwind under main alone and when I kept having issues that's what I ended up doing.

I wonder if I should just explore having a deep 3rd/storm reef added into my main when it's in to have the bolt rope re-seated to lessen wrinkles most likely caused by the rope shrinking.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Actually the fairlead and cleat is together, small Harken setup, and the winch is behind/beside the cleat (and is not self-tailing).
That sounds strange to me. The fairlead should be forward of the winch at the best possible position for sheet angle. Then the winch, then the open cleat. I can't visualize how you work your sheets. It may be me.

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
Here's what it looks like. I couldn't remember off hand and thought it was off to the side, but the winch is directly behind now that I found a photo from my own boat. It's just a lift up to release, pull down to secure cam cleat for the jib sheets.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You are right. All of the load is on the cleat. It also means the sheets wear out faster. Easing the sheets must be awkward too. I see why you'd like a storm jib. Not sure how to introduce that with a furler setup. Looks like you might have a CDI so changing sails isn't a good option really. Some of the 26/260 owners should kick in soon.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Strange setup.

My sailing buddy has had a H26, two H260's and a H270. His were all the same as my H23.5 with the fairly standard setup of the jib sheets going straight to a winch with a horn cleat beside the winch. Your horn cleat is tucked under the stanchion brace. I'd love to see the port side too. Is it the same?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Do some research on a Solent rig. The rig was originally designed (I think) for a double headsail downwind but many designers are using them behind the roller furler with a hanked on smaller jib. It keeps the center of effort forward on the boat to help with the weather helm problem some boats experience. I'm going to install this setup on my S2 because I'm not a big fan of reefing the headsail more than about 15%. There are a lot of ideas on mounting and tensioning ideas for the removable stay.

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
Strange setup.

My sailing buddy has had a H26, two H260's and a H270. His were all the same as my H23.5 with the fairly standard setup of the jib sheets going straight to a winch with a horn cleat beside the winch. Your horn cleat is tucked under the stanchion brace. I'd love to see the port side too. Is it the same?
The only horn cleat I have in that area (that isn't a dock line cleat) is for the furling line.

Yes, there is a 3 way jam cleat port side instead of the single on the starboard side, but one is open and the other is the line for the centerboard uphaul.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Starboard side job sheet. Could not clearly see the base and turning block as it appears to be standing straight up and not leaning. How about a close up shot of the turning stand up block and base? Secondly in heavy air you are reefed but may need to reef the jib in further. Remember that the main is bigger than a regular designed mainsail as the thought was to put more powe into the main so you may want to try sailing under reefed main only in heavy air.

As for the fixed base cam cleat , the front of that or closest to the cockpit should have a shim plate under it leaning it backward some. You could try flicking the line hard to releas. You could also momentarily turn toward the wind a little to alleviate some of the pressure off the line but being careful not to do that much. Let’s us know.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm confused... my sheet comes to the winch and then to a cleat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I posted a photo above that shows how my boat is laid out.
Yes! That is very different than my boat. The cleat you have your roller reef line tied to is inboard about 4" and I tie off my jib sheet to that cleat after wrapping it around the winch a few times. The roller reef line continues aft (port side) and is tied off on a much smaller cleat.

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
You singlehanded in 25 knots. Dang.
Maybe I am exaggerating, and maybe I'm just too stupid to realize it wasn't a good idea since I'm also fairly new to sailing.

I do know my Windyy app mentioned gusts in excess of 30mph that day, and it sure felt like it during the multiple times I heeled to 25-30 degrees with my 2nd reef in and/or when the jib was flailing wildly in the wind. :)