SBO format

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
That which I don't like, I tend to ignore.

You've got to filter your input. Knowing what info to toss out is critical.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I like the Legacy new posts format and page. That is where I go first to see new posts or additional posts on a thread I am following.
Same here; the Legacy new posts page is my "go to page" for All Forums. I like reviewing topics that are of interest to me and the legacy format allows me to scan new posts of the day quickly and efficiently. As much as I like SBO, I don't have the time nor desire to spend hours on the site daily. I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed SBO over the years and have learned so much; I am most appreciative of the guys that have assembled this site and maintain it. Also appreciative of the professionals that contribute their knowledge and experience as well as all of you who post to help each other. I try to contribute when I think that I have something to offer and appreciate the advice when I ask for it. There are a few times that I have been offended by a callous comment, but that has been the exception; the overwhelming majority of people on this site are a congenial lot and quite complimentary.
Ironically, even though I am a Beneteau owner, I seldom go to the Beneteau forum, unless I have been off site for a time and want to check to determine if I missed something that may be pertinent to my specific boat. Of course, I skip over the "what have you done to your Mac today" posts, because those posts are specific to Macs. Let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed Sumner's posts of his sailing adventures on his Mac that are truly of interest to all sailors.
To those of you that would leave SBO because there isn't enough information for your specific boat, I think that you are doing a disservice to yourself. I also subscribe to another site that is specific to my boat and it has been beneficial; however, there is so much more information on this site that is common to all sailors and all sailboats. Keep it coming!

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Once you read the thread, or reply, it lists it as "read" and goes to the bottom of the list.
I don’t understand why it’s designed to do that. Makes checking back on a thread one's commented on harder to do.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don’t understand why it’s designed to do that. Makes checking back on a thread one's commented on harder to do.
It comes back up to the top of your list as soon as someone else has added to it. Then it becomes the latest New Post. If you are watching the thread, you also get notices of contributions since your last viewing, unless you opt- out of email notifications.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Great input guys, thanks! First, let me say there's no thought about changing the layout or general format of the forums. Once every decade is too often for that. :) I'm thinking about making the new posts list adjustable so you could either see posts from all forums or hide specific brands. It would be a setting with default, so ayou can ignore the whole thing if you choose to.

As to the disappearing posts, you may be describing the "new-fangled" recent posts page: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?find-new/15273928/posts (the forum-style option). That page is only meant to show you the new activity so posts you've seen will drop off.

Try using the forum menu where the post originates (Ask All Sailors, Ask A Catalina Owners, Big Boats, etc.), or

the link in the grey menu for Watched Threads.
Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.35.29 AM.png
. That will show you a list of any thread you have posted to or are following.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I read the post wrong. I thought he was saying that “perferred” was the preferred spelling. I’m not that stupid JD. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Are we really that thin skinned around here now??? That's my whole point. I didn't see it either at first, and had to look hard the second time! ;^)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You know that when Phil is around, there is a nursery rhyme that follow...

"Phil has the Bot Police, whose armor is shinny black.
Everywhere that Phil would go, the Bot Police has his back"

ROFLMKO. I am on a roll today.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I tend to read the All Forums All Discussions tab, and respond to any of those posts I find interesting, but when I start a new post, I try place it in the right forum.

Someones post info on a Mac or a Catalina repair can still be quite helpful to those of us with different brands, and I know some of the posts in the Hunter forums are applicable to almost any sailboat owner.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I tend to read the All Forums All Discussions tab, and respond to any of those posts I find interesting, but when I start a new post, I try place it in the right forum.
Indeed. Which is why it is a good idea to put ALL relevant information in the actual body of the post, even if can be inferred from the name of the sub-forum. Makes it easier for someone to respond correctly, and not ask 'what boat?' to a post about anchors in the Catalina22 forum.