Help me choose a new compass

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Maybe a Plastimo Mini Contest?
Someone suggested that one when I first posted the question. I didn’t think it would work for my existing hole. But now I’m thinking it might. Especially if I cover the hole with starboard. Dave Groshong is encouraging me to look into it.
Thanks!
PS My home brewing nephew is encouraging the tap. Can I get an amen?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Most excellent there green one. A beer tap is way, way higher on the cost benefit scale.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
It looks like the back of that mounting hole may be blocked, but if you can get at it, maybe add a few layers of glass epoxied in to fill in the hole, using a backing plate (like wood with wax paper) on the front side to support the cloth. Then cut the hole for the smaller compass mount. It would all depend on whether the OD of the trim ring on the small compass is big enough to mostly hide the raw glass surface, as you'd not want to have to "pretty up" the outside with gel coat. Or, just use starboard as suggested earlier, if not too thick.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I returned the Ritchie today. :-(

In all honesty, I wish my wife were onboard with the beer tap idea. It would be far more useful on our lake than a compass.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola

In all honesty, I wish my wife were onboard with the beer tap idea. It would be far more useful on our lake than a compass.
How about a compass that doubles as a tap handle?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY

Truly our pedestal mount Ritchie serves best for overnighting as a faint green light for the final night cap in the cockpit. Very romantic, and I don’t care what the heading is at that point.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Would a round access hatch fit over the hole and perhaps mount the compass in the in the hole or a smaller one in the actual plate?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Well, how about a compromise. A COVER for a compass that looks like a beer tap?

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I think a Plastimo Contest bulkhead would be nice. I had a white one on my C-22....looked sharp. Wish I had a pic for you.