Is it a Steal or a Scam??

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If the survey comes out OK, I'd jump on that one. Good find. For 15K you can afford to put a little more in her I would think.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Good luck! Looks like a well-maintained and upgraded boat. What's the registration on the hull? Odd.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
That does indeed look to me like just the cover. Easy to tell, just unfurl the jib. Go "slip sailing" for a bit and look at the sails. OTOH, if that jib was new in 2014, it has had some rough times to tear the cover already. Maybe the boat is missing spreader tips. Maybe the po let it flog itself to the point the cover ripped.

But overall that boat looks decent from the pics.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Yes, that's just the sacrificial canvas cover, I have mine on my Sailrite at the moment. It can be repaired without replacing it all.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Words in a sales ad that should wave the caution flag.
  1. completly refurbished
  2. most of the boat has been redone and rentivated over the past few years .
  3. the boat will come with everything you need to set sail that same day
The furler is a "Pro Furler". These units hcan have problems. You need to furl and unfurl the sail a couple of times. There is a '2/3 donut' at the top of the furler. Does the tang from the furler hoist match up with the donut. Is the donut stationary while the sail is being furled. Does the line roll smoothly on to the furling drum? Is the line distributed evenly? This will be a 1800-2500 bill to replace.

New standing rigging 2014. Was this done professionally or a DYI by the owner? What materials were used? Do the rigging wires match the boats design standards?

Good luck Zack.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
You're too late.
It's listed on Yachtworld as "sold".

I have to say, the interior and engine looked reasonably good in the pics.
If it floats, the motor runs, nothing is rotten, and the sails go up and catch wind, it's well worth $7,500.

Oct 22, 2014
Skipper... Zach is already on to a Morgan 35 that he found for $15K.
see message #36

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
In the beginning they built solid fiberglass boats with no fillers, no wood, no coosa, no vinyl, no shit. But the windows and hatches tend to leak like a sieve even when brand new off the dealers rack or even West Marine or BOW. Later on they used plywood and plain wood "encapsulated" that turns to mush in all brands of boats. They also used the new ultimate fiberglass and gelcoats that got blisters at the mention of water. Just like Catalina's

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
In the beginning they built solid fiberglass boats with no fillers, no wood, no coosa, no vinyl, no shit. But the windows and hatches tend to leak like a sieve even when brand new off the dealers rack or even West Marine or BOW. Later on they used plywood and plain wood "encapsulated" that turns to mush in all brands of boats. They also used the new ultimate fiberglass and gelcoats that got blisters at the mention of water. Just like Catalina's
Wow, that's the best thing I've read here in months. Sublime.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
22 years later the hull looks a lot like it just came out of the mold. Maybe I better not mention water around the little Catalina.

Oct 22, 2014
@Meriachee just a reminder. Your in Canada. It is called ice not water. And not to worry she is out of the ice on the hard. so it is called snow. Never heard of a boat getting snow blisters. It’s early but maybe time for a beer. It is the food of champions.
You got what 3-4 months till it’s water time?:poke:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I'm in Canada and we still have our boat in the water. Just need the heater on when sailing. As for snow what we do is wait until noon then go sailing or golf.

Aug 1, 2011
And the 3-4 months till blister season are suitably interspersed with a trip, ladder, shovel and beer in hand to go sit on the boat at every opportunity too!

Aug 1, 2011
Hey Leo, you should see the golf course at the scout camp! (Not)