PVC Furler

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I had something similar on my Lancer 28. It worked ok, but you couldn't remove the sail from the furler. Big problem. My sail was sleeved over the PVC pipe, this one looks like it's held on with zip ties. Either way you can't get the sail off without cutting something.

Oct 15, 2006
MacGregor 26X Central Florida
I had something similar on my Lancer 28. It worked ok, but you couldn't remove the sail from the furler. Big problem. My sail was sleeved over the PVC pipe, this one looks like it's held on with zip ties. Either way you can't get the sail off without cutting something.
I can see the objection to having to cut something to get the sail off the furler, but if it is just a few zip ties, that doesn't seem too bad a price to pay. I keep my boat in a marina, and the jib stays on the furler for 2-3 years at a time. With a Sunbrella strip sewn on to the leech and foot, the sail stays covered when furled, even when the mast is down and the boat is on a trailer. So taking the sail off, depending on usage, of course, might not be that much of an issue.

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
It sounds like the primary concern of folks is sail shape and ease of removal, not whether the furler would turn or otherwise work. As a cruiser, I'm not especially concerned with removal. My wife has a good sewing machine, so we could make the luff rope stationary and add a sunbrella strip.
Anyone ever seen somewhere that has a bit more DIY instruction than the pictures in the linked post?
Thanks!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
You may have already tried this.. but if not google "pvc furler" Links come up, youtube videos.. etc.. Even some threads on SBO come up.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Instead of adding the sunbrella strips use a sleeve. I think it would be much better for trailering.

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Instead of adding the sunbrella strips use a sleeve. I think it would be much better for trailering.
I'd been under the impression that furling was all about saving time. Wouldn't adding a bag (both when camping and trailering) take more time than just using some bungees?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'd been under the impression that furling was all about saving time. Wouldn't adding a bag (both when camping and trailering) take more time than just using some bungees?
Furling for many people is about safety and not going on a pitching foredeck. The sunbrella strips work fine but they degrade the performance of the sail IMO. With the strips you are adding reinforcement to an area that is not designed to be reinforced. Buy a new sail with strips on it and check where it stretched after a year. The other advantage to no strips is it should reef better because you are not rolling up extra cloth on the foot and leech. Just tossing out options. I think I will do the bag on my next new sail, maybe add a few features to it for holding and tying down other things when trailering.:)

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
I've been using a jib cover for about three years and find it pretty easy to use. About the same amount of effort as a main sail bag. I bought mine from the store here and have been very happy with the fit. It has two zippers on it so you can have the jib sheets come out of the middle of it. The strips on the sail might be fine but I didn't want the expense of adding them to my used sail. I think the jib cover is a little cheaper.

Oct 15, 2006
MacGregor 26X Central Florida
I have used both on my 26X moored full time in a marina. Both do the job, but I did find that the bag for the jib needs to be big enough to go up easily, and that entailed, in my case, enough "extra" material that would flap around in a breeze. In a real strong wind, it was a little too much for my comfort. I just don't like to walk off and leave something that loose adrift on my boat. The Sunbrella strips sewn onto the jib have served me much better, but they will deteriorate over time 2-3 years and need to be replaced. I think I paid $75 to have Doyle add them to my jib. Not bad really. Of course, good sailors can make anything controversial. We like to do things the way that works for us, and, thankfully, we can. ;-)

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
I built my fuller using electrical pc and made butt spices using thin wall pvc on the inside to insure a smooth transition. I used stainless cable threaded key rings with plastic beads to act as a bearing surface so the sail can be raised and lowered. To remove the sail unscrew the the key ring cables. I have yet to sail with it as I am still working on rebuilding the interior.

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
Right I am very busy getting a float ready for Saint Patrick's day parade I will post photos when I can if I can figure out how to send them.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I had forgotten about this thread but came up with one more reason for using a cover vs strips on the sail. You can reverse the direction of the furling. Why does this make a difference you are asking? Go forward and look at any of the plastic furling tubes and the light weight aluminum models and see the twist that is getting set into the tube (due to the bottom turning and inducing the torque for the top of the tube) after just a year and some heat. If you reverse the direction ever so often you can twist it the other way. Yep, my new CF-700 is going to have a cover and no strips. A length of parachute cord from the top and a few wraps around the bag should keep the flapping to a minimum. Plus, Lee will be the builder of the cover to strict specifications for our furled sail size, eliminating much of the excess cloth from the store bought models.:) Thanks all for keeping me thinking about this idea.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I built my fuller using electrical pc and made butt spices using thin wall pvc on the inside to insure a smooth transition. I used stainless cable threaded key rings with plastic beads to act as a bearing surface so the sail can be raised and lowered. To remove the sail unscrew the the key ring cables. I have yet to sail with it as I am still working on rebuilding the interior.
hehehe my venture interior has been under continuous and significant construction and modifications for 6 years and that never stopped a sailing season...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You can reverse the direction of the furling.
How about making a continuous line furler? Roll the jib up in the reverse direction every other time, if you want.
Really neat project here. If Dragonfly hadn't come with a roller furler, I'd be really interested in building a DIY furler.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
How about making a continuous line furler? Roll the jib up in the reverse direction every other time, if you want.
Really neat project here. If Dragonfly hadn't come with a roller furler, I'd be really interested in building a DIY furler.
- Will (Dragonfly)
With no cover stitched to the sail you could reverse it every other time. Great idea..
The guy in the video was my kind of guy, especially when he showed the dingy he was building in the living room. His wife must be a lot more understanding than the one I had when I built most of the parts for an airplane in the living room. She divorced me just after the plane was flying, but hey, I got the airplane.