Help me choose a new compass

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
If you have a wheel . The way to go is a Binnacle compass. Where your compass is now , is where my inclinometer is.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
a bit off topic, but why is it that no one makes mast mounted digital compass that doesn't cost a few hundred dollars?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
a bit off topic, but why is it that no one makes mast mounted digital compass that doesn't cost a few hundred dollars?
Why would you expect that to cost less than a good globe compass?

With low volumes and high environmental constraints, building a marine product is costly. Running a business, even more. While I love my ProStart, the Nautalytics is a great deal at about $330.

http://nautalytics.com/home/

As an aside, last year I left my ProStart up in Bayfield for our Fall Regatta on Minnetonka. While a 100 dollar 5 inch android tablet would have worked too, I grabbed a old waterproof galaxy 5 out of my phone bin, installed iRegatta on it, and taped it to the mast bracket! All sorted.

BBC42F7D-2BF0-40E4-B14C-4B73A7380DCE.jpeg

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
If you have a wheel . The way to go is a Binnacle compass. Where your compass is now , is where my inclinometer is.
I would actually love having a binnacle compass. But I would still have to deal with an ugly-ass compass on the bulkhead. And leaving the old one where it is will NEVER be an option, thanks to @Ralph Johnstone. Maybe I can get the Roadrunner to move the hole for me.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Like wheel mounted instruments, only the driver can see it, and only when standing directly behind the wheel. Instruments mounts on the bulkhead or mast can be seen by the entire crew.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
They don't work with a beer can next to it.
OK! I'm starting to see what my problem is, then. More beer cans to balance things out. I'm on it! Oh, wait! I drink only bottles. Does that count? What are we talkin' 'bout?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
@Kermit , there's a degree of disappointment happening. You gotta start thinking outside the box there, green one.
https://global.kegworks.com/draft-beer/faucets-shanks/faucets/
Yet another reason to love this forum so much. And to keep paying the yearly dues. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to point out the obvious! Thanks Meriachee!

p.s. I have a 20 gallon water tank under the v-berth that I’ve never used. Maybe I can install a 2nd tank so I can stay out 2 nights without a refill.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Froggie; Since you have a 20 gallon tank under the V Berth, why do you need a second tank when all you have to do is look at what the boat sits on. WATER

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
OK, y’all. Santa brought the Ritchie SR-2 but it won’t work. ARRRGGGG! Hunter thoughtfully supplied a circular vertical surface within the angled bulkhead complete with 12v wire for the light. But the Ritchie is too big for the vertical circle. I spoke with both of my favorite Daves today - Dave Groshong and Crazy Dave Condon. Neither has the answer but they both agree I have the wrong compass. I even talked to a lady at Ritchie. They have nothing that will fit. The current hole is too big for a smaller compass. I’m ready to install a beer tap but my wife is, to say the least, a bit skeptical.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
How about a King Starboard Washer say 3/4 inch thick, cut in a circle to raise the compass?
Jim...