Cherubini 30 ft Rigging Questions

Jan 19, 2018
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake, NY
I'm the new owner of a 1980 30ft Hunter Cherubini and I have some questions about some of the rigging that the boat has installed on it by the previous owners. My previous boat was a 14ft Hobie-Holder dingy so the learning curve here is pretty steep. I have a roller furling Genoa and the sheets run back to snatch blocks attached to the toe rails. From there I have run them to the winches mounted back aft, but I'm now wondering if I should be running them first to the cheek blocks mounted aft of the winches. The boat also came with a spinnaker but again I'm not to sure about where and how this should be rigged. I will include a picture if I can.

Attachments

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Welcome to the forum @Mohawk Jack. Looks like we’re gonna be neighbors this season if you’re staying on Cayuga. I am somewhat familiar with your boat and have seen it many times. The picture attached below show the simple and straight forward starboard headsail sheet running outside the shrouds into the blocks on the toe rail, and directly to the larger winches. My headsail is hanked on. The boat has a pair of sizable jam cleats on either side to run the sheet tail to once trimmed. I suspect that your aft most blocks are for the spinnaker and run back forward to the smaller winches when deployed. Where is your boat now? Parking lot at Treman? Perhaps I could meet you on a decent weather Sat. Or Sun this winter and we can take a look close up. Send me a PM and I’ll provide my contact information.

8C98C3E2-FED2-4B4B-82D5-BE546AFBB936.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
The aft cheek blocks are usually used for a spinnaker however by running your sheets thru both may make it easier for you to trim the jib. It will probably will give you a better mechanical advantage if you are not using a spinnaker.

Jan 19, 2018
Thank you for these great resources. I will have to download these and make a manual for my boat!
-Jack

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
You are very welcome, there is plenty of great reference material via that link, I know I find it very useful and I am sure that you will to!

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
There are several pdf files about the Cherubini Hunter 30 in the resources section of this site. At the top of the page select the three large horizontal lines, then select Boat Info,, next select Hunter Resources,, then select 30_74-83 model,, on the next page you will find Downloads where the manuals are. This page also has owner's mods which can give you some ideas for improvements.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Welcome to the Cherubini forum. I'm a little late to this thread, so can't add much other than agreement with what the others have have already said; the cheek blocks and smaller aft winches are for spinnaker sheets rather than the genoa sheets. The foreword winches are for the genoa sheets.
The genoa sheets should run back to blocks on the toe rail and up to the genoa winches as shown the BlowMeAway's photo. Change the position of the genoa blocks on the toe rail according to your point of sail and how much of the genoa you have reefed in.

Jan 19, 2018
Thanks Dalliance, I'm an engineer so I'm used to getting bombarded with data and then having to make sense of it all in my own terms. My problem with the current setup of blocks on the toe rail is that the angle to my winches from the toe rail was pretty steep due to the design of the boat. I will experiment (engineer) this next season and see what works best for me. I always appreciate the knowledge of more experienced sailors so feel free to chime in at anytime.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Mohawk Jack with your jib block so far forward you have me wondering if your jib has the correct foot dimension. All the pictures of your boat model I have seen show the jib block well aft of mid ship which provides a better angle to the winch. I guess if your jib was reduced in area by furling then the jib block would have to be more forward. You could always put a second block on the rail further aft to get a better angle to the winch, the second block may need to have a short cable on it to guide the jib sheet inside the safety stantions.

Jan 19, 2018
DayDreamer, you are seeing my problem. I have thought about offsetting the block from the toe rail with a cable or line in order to make the transition to the winch less severe but I have not seen this done anywhere else.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...offsetting the block from the toe rail with a cable or line in order to make the transition to the winch less severe ...
Jack, ya do what ya gotta do... Maybe put a short (6 ") length of line between the block and the track slider?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Mohawk Jack In your first image, below the aft winch on the deck there is a padeye with a u shaped shackle. Do you have a block that can it to this shackle. Then you genoa sheet would run down to the forward block, along the rail to the aft block and then up to the winch. If this block was on a piece of dyneema (soft shackle block) it would sit tall and give you a clean fairlead to the winch.
Having not seen all of your boat it seems a possibility as to how it was rigged.

Oct 6, 2007
MohawkJack,
I understand your problem. I don't have an all conditions solution. I've been experimenting lately with using a second pair of blocks. I keep the original genoa blocks at a point on the toerail that is about right for the full 150 genoa out and also seems to be at an optimum position in relation to the winches. When I reef the genoa, I add a pair of snatch blocks forward of those. The stanchion just forward of the winches sometimes seems to be in exactly the wrong location. Just have to work around it.
Also, the genoa sheets run outside of the lifelines most of the time, but if reefed and close hauled, it's sometimes better to move them inside.

Jan 19, 2018
Dalliance, Stanchions are like seatbelts, they are just a Pain in the ass, until you need them. I'm wondering why the PO mounted 2 winches so close together on both sides of the cockpit. Will I ever have need of both at the same time? Again, I'm new here so pardon my ignorance.

Oct 6, 2007
Dalliance, Stanchions are like seatbelts, they are just a Pain in the ass, until you need them. I'm wondering why the PO mounted 2 winches so close together on both sides of the cockpit. Will I ever have need of both at the same time? Again, I'm new here so pardon my ignorance.
You will never need two at time until you start using a spinnaker. Then the second winch ( the smaller aft one) will be of use. You have them, so I wouldn't take them off for now. Wait and see what you grow in to.
Personally, I have never had a spinnaker on my boat and don't plan too. I don't race and often sail solo or with relatively inexperienced guests and a spinnaker is too much for me to deal with in either case.

Jan 19, 2018
I'm looking forward to learning more about my boat from other sailors at the marina this summer. I'm curious about using the spinnaker but not crazy enough to try it without another experienced sailor on the boat. I'm also looking forward to doing some preventive maintenance on all 6 of my winches this spring, though the cost of replacement parts has me a bit nervous. My feeling is that I'd rather find and repair problems on the dock than get blindsided out on the water.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Your winches may need simple cleaning and lubricating. Taking them apart you need to be careful with small springs especially.

You aren't out crossing any oceans, so I wouldn't get to crazy about rebuilding the winches at this point unless one is not working. If they feel like they are functioning fine, I would leave them alone. If one of them skips, or otherwise isn't working well over this summer, then I would look at rebuilding it.

Run the boat for a season, find out what does and doesn't work. Then make a list of what needs doing.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

dj

Jan 19, 2018
Thanks DJ. I took the boat out 3 times last year and everything seemed to be in working order. Maybe I will take you advice and run everything through its paces and then do what needs doing. It's more fun to sail than do maintenance anyway.