Size outboard on 23.5

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
So the Honda 8 does now come factory with a 25” shaft, sorry for the misinformation.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I have a 25" shaft on mine and have never had an issue with it being too long. The Outboards shaft I am talking about.

I think someone mentioned a while back the Hondas fatter cover got in the way while trying to raise the motor. A friend had a Honda on his dinghy and we had one for a while on one of our coach boats. They were fine when they ran but seemed to be more temperamental and getting parts was a hassle. I would not get a Honda personally from those experiences. Do check on what dealers are around before you order one of the internet. For instance we do not have a Suzuki dealer around here so a Suzuki would be out for me as well.

Give your local dealer a shot at the deal before you buy from somewhere else as well they may surprise you.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I guess I got the 20". The point of measure seems a little more like 22". I was measuring from the top of transom (inside of mounting clamp) to the top of the cavitation plate, which is what my understanding of "shaft length" was Rick. But 20" is 2" above the cavitation plate. 25" is about 3" above the prop center line, so it cant be that. But like I said, hasnt been a problem as far as coming out of the water. Im on a lake tho. The biggest waves I have to deal with are boat wakes.

Aug 2, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Kaufman Texas
Crispy,
Yep, that is my understanding also. Top of transom/btm side of clamp to cavatation plate. I really appreciate you doing that, thanks again.

Aug 2, 2016
Rick,
That was a concern of mine, size. All the Honda’s seem huge compared to all other comparable hp outboards.

Excellent advice, thank you.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... They were fine when they ran but seemed to be more temperamental and getting parts was a hassle. I would not get a Honda personally from those experiences.
It has been a couple decades ago, but with the part number for the outboard in hand, the local Honda Motorcycle shop could order it.

Aug 2, 2016
Dave,
Any chance of getting you to forward me a link to the outboard stainless steel brackets you were referring to in the SO store?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2008
Hunter 23.5 Smith Mountain Lake
I had a Tohatsu 8 HP 2 stroke that worked great for about 18 years, I replaced it with a Tohatsu 9.8 HP, long shaft 4 cycle a year ago. It works great, it is quieter that the 2 cycle, uses much less fuel. It is a big improvement in boat speed when motoring.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi Travler -
I have a h23 with a old 2stroke 9.9 but likely replacing it with a 6 or 8hp which the forum / plus my marina think will be more then enough power.

Anyone have any experience buying a used motor from this place? Kuta Marine?
https://kutamarine.com/mercury/6-hp-8-hp.html

Its tempting especially when the motors are only a couple yrs old and so much less.
best

Aug 5, 2016
Catalina Capri 22 Cambridge
I have a Tohatsu 4 HP 4-stroke on my Capri 22. Does fine. 5.5 kts WOT, easy cruise at 4.5 to 5 kts. It has the high thrust prop on it. It's the same as the Tohatsu 5 and 6 HP except the carb. To go up to the 8 HP motor adds quite a bit of weight and expense. I get 20+ mpg.

Tom L

Jun 24, 2004
Hunter 23.5 & 29.5 Baltimore, MD
I have used both a 9.9 Tohatsu 2 stroke and a 5hp Johnson sail drive 2 stroke on my h23.5. The 5hp wasn't quite enough in bad conditions. I got into a bad situation trying to motor into a heavy headwind and could not make any forward progress. In no wind I can get about 4.5 to 5 mph with the 5hp. The 9.9 will give me 6 to 7 mph. (Sorry for the mph units, it's what my gps uses)

Aug 2, 2016
Hey thanks again for all your replies. I did end up buying a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro so we’ll see how it works in the near future. I’ll keep you posted. I built a slightly extended motor mount out of starboard so the shaft would clear the transom and I could do away with the outboard bracket. Hopefully everything works out.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
How have the Hondas been holding up for you guys? My little Honda 2.3 has problems with corrosion on fasteners & also in the shaft bushing. My Tohatsu, Johnson, & Evenrude motors all held up much better.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have a Honda 8, around 1991 or perhaps a few years later (not sure exactly when PO bought it). It has held up pretty well, with some minor corrosion on leg. But this motor has only been in a fresh water lake.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I did end up buying a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro
Got one of those last year to replace a '94 Johnson 9.9. Plenty 'nuff power for our little lake. Paid a little over $1300, free shipping, and no tax from a place in DE. Won't start cold with throttle anywhere near start position, I have to run it up to about 3/4, then back down rather lively when it fires. But it runs well. I think the prop might be slightly larger and always worry about it eating the rudder, so we try to avoid that. The transom and my bad shoulder appreciate carrying 20 less pounds of metal.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Cold start. See you choking it first

The metal brackets on the 260 outboard motor bracket will extend the one on the 23.5

Aug 2, 2016
Dave, where would one acquire said brackets? I looked in the online store and could not find them. I ended up making an extended bracket, see previous post, out of star board. Just in case it doesn’t work I would be interested in taking a look at the brackets for the 260. Can you help me out?