Mast question

Jan 22, 2018
Catalina 22 22 sailboat Chilliwack
I am about to purchase a Catalina 22 with a drop keel.This boat however doesn't have a quick release mast. The mast on it is fixed with four large bolts into the deck. I thought all drop keels would have a mast system that has a easy removal setup. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert this mast to quick release.
Thank you...Newtome

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Are you talking about the mast step with two bolts at the base holding the mast foot to the deck plate? Take a photo and post it here. I know the mast raising systems for Catalina since the one on the Sport 22 follows that from Hunter. Former dealer for both companies

Jan 22, 2018
Are you talking about the mast step with two bolts at the base holding the mast foot to the deck plate? Take a photo and post it here. I know the mast raising systems for Catalina since the one on the Sport 22 follows that from Hunter. Former dealer for both companies
Here is a pic of the current mast attachment. I was hoping there might be an adapter to convert it to a detachable system. If not I can probably design a plate that would work. If you have a pic of the factory setup, that might help me in figuring something out. Thank you for your help

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here is a pic of the current mast attachment. I was hoping there might be an adapter to convert it to a detachable system. If not I can probably design a plate that would work. If you have a pic of the factory setup, that might help me in figuring something out. Thank you for your help
All you have to do is contact www.catalinadirect.com If you call them they will solve your problem right away and you won't have to do any more research....they specialize in this stuff.... installation is fairly easy... because there's just one large bolt through the bottom of the mast that holds it in the bracket. You bolt the mast to the bracket... then raise the mast.. there's plenty of you tube vids on C22 mast raising.

After dropping the mast, you disconnect the single bolt and place the mast in its trailering supports.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Are you sure that is the original mast?

A C22 of that vintage should have a step like the ones pictured. It looks like the mast is installed on a plate (likely with internal socket) that was never an option by Catalina to my knowledge. Also the mast looks more round than the typical profiles I have seen for C22s. I would question the owner about the mast and whether it was replaced at some point with a donor non C22 mast. As others have said it should be an easy modification so long as the glass is good on the step and you can remount the original style bracket before drilling the hole in the mast for the pivot bolt. If you haven’t seen this already the association has a great resource out there on these boats. Seeing these mods if I wanted a trailer sailor C22 I would be a bit leery if the price is not fantastic.
https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/download-files?folder=C22_Buyers_Guide

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
One other question. What country are you in? Is this a Jaguar 22 or a boomaroo 22 which is a variant of the C22 in other countries? I only ask as there are many variants out there with mast, deck, etc... if it's not a US model @greg_m has one he is current redoing on the C22 forum.

Jan 22, 2018
One other question. What country are you in? Is this a Jaguar 22 or a boomaroo 22 which is a variant of the C22 in other countries? I only ask as there are many variants out there with mast, deck, etc... if it's not a US model @greg_m has one he is current redoing on the C22 forum.
I'm in Canada. I will get some pics to post to help identify it.

Jan 22, 2018
I'm in Canada, I will get some more pics to help. One thing I noticed is that in the cabin there is no mast support. The deck is all that bears the whole weight of the mast. In the few C22'S I've seen there is a wood spindle under the mast area to help support the weight.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
All Catalina 22s need a compression post under the mast regardless of year or make. Some are steel, wood, etc... based on the model but since the mast is deck stepped they must have support. The Capri 22 sport has a split support as opposed to a single post but none the less it still has support. If the boat is missing the post and has not been completely customised and reconfigured in some way it's a major red flag and may be cause to walk away from the deal. Nothing worse than trying to unfrainkenstine a boat from a PO as the $$ adds up quickly.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
You may find that it a "socket" type mast step... definitely have not come across this in my wanderings.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Here is a pic of the current mast attachment. I was hoping there might be an adapter to convert it to a detachable system. If not I can probably design a plate that would work. ...
I am absolutely, positively certain that I can design a deck step joint that is easier to work with & structurally superior to any that I have seen in service on existing sailboats. One of these days, I am going to get frustrated enough while stepping a mast to blow off sailing for a day & sit down to draw it out.

That aside, there are plenty of standard fittings on the market for you to choose from.