H26 Anchor Roller

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I love my H26 but have been wishing it had an anchor roller. I've been envious of the anchor roller that the 260's come with. There didn't seem to be an easy way to install one on the H26. I just finished this mod. It was easy to do and didn't even require drilling any new holes in the boat. I haven't tried it yet, but it's very sturdy. I think it will work well, and I think it looks good too!

Anchor Roller 1.jpg Anchor Roller 3.jpgAnchor Roller 2.jpg

I think the size fits nicely. I drilled 2 new holes to allow the existing u-bolt to go thru and simply used the u-bolt to fasten it down. This is a SeaLux 316 Stainless Steel Bow Anchor Roller with quick release pin.
https://www.amazon.com/SeaLux-Stain...nged+Bow+Anchor+Roller+with+quick+release+pin
SeaLux 316 Stainless Steel Bow Anchor Roller with quick release pin..PNG
I know some H26's connect their head stay to the u-bolt. I had previously moved my head stay connection to the tang shown in the picture below, freeing up the u-bolt. But I think if you use an extension for your head stay to the u-bolt, this would still work for you.
Roler Furler Attachment.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Doug J;
Is that your design or being offered by someone. You get an A PLUS from me you old rascal. I fell out of my chair when I saw the photos. Thanks.
Crazy Dave

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Doug J;
Is that your design or being offered by someone. You get an A PLUS from me you old rascal. I fell out of my chair when I saw the photos. Thanks.
Crazy Dave
I figured a roller installed under that u-bolt would work well. I looked for a short one to fit and installed it. Can't wait to try it. I didn't like dragging the rode and chain over the rub rail making more marks, and also I think it will be easier on the back.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I’m also eagerly awaiting reports of your practical experience.
I'll be using it Feb 10th, will let you know how it works out. Should be fine, it's plenty strong. The only potential issue may be that it's straight off the bow, so I'll need to work around the headstay with the furler drum.

20180127_103910.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You could raise the drum using two tangs but would require shortening the forestay some. Should not affect the Sail at all. If twisted the wrong way with the tangs you could use a twist shackle. Food for thought

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Hopefully the furler drum won't be a problem, I don't think it will be. I really don't want to go through the hassle of shortening the headstay.

Last edited:

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Just following up. I used the anchor roller worked just fine. I did get help though. I was in a raft up, my anchor was the first one to get hoisted. The anchor initially got pulled from the bottom by crew in a dinghy. But I don't see any problem using the roller. For anyone with an H26 and wants an anchor roller this is a simple solution. And remember, no new holes in the boat!

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I ordered my roller today. Thanks for the idea Doug.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Doug, do you have a picture of how the anchor sits in the roller and how the rode runs past the upper plate?

This is a great project that shows how there is almost always a solution.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Doug, do you have a picture of how the anchor sits in the roller and how the rode runs past the upper plate?

This is a great project that shows how there is almost always a solution.

- Will (Dragonfly)
The anchor doesn't sit in the roller. I stow the anchor in the anchor locker. The roller is used when deploying and retrieving the anchor. I'm not sure what you mean by "the upper plate". There is a captive pin that you remove, opening the area where the rode and chain ride over the roller. The pin keeps the rode from coming off the roller in swells.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So, the roller holds neither the anchor nor the rode except during retrieval? It's is just a guide to keep the anchor of the hull?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Correct. The contours of the fiberglass at the bow of the H26 as you can see in the pics, makes it somewhat difficult to install an anchor roller. This is an easy solution that requires no new holes in the boat and is inexpensive. Even the 260 doesn't have from the factory much more of an anchor roller.