Size outboard on 23.5

Aug 2, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Kaufman Texas
Hello all, I need to replace my 5hp short shaft Honda on my H23.5, it just doesn’t cut it. I was wondering what size all you other 23.5 owners have on your boats. I want to mount it directly w/o using a lifting/lowering bracket.

Aug 2, 2016
Thank you for responding Johann. My 5hp barely maintains 4-5 knots wide open. How did your six do against wind or current?

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Hard to say exactly, it seems I was always rolling with a tide, or fighting it. I would say I usually ran about 3/4 throttle and around 5.5 knots. I did motor once from Destin to Pensacola into a 15-20 kt headwind at WOT for about 8 hours and stayed just above 5 knots. I don't recall what the tide was doing for/against me, but the waves surely weren't helping. The 25" shaft was great though... I don't recall it coming out of the water at all. I would think with a short shaft like you have, you would have trouble keeping the prop in the water... or at least you would be getting aerated and losing thrust.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
^6 long shaft should do that but please no more than an 8 hp . Not sure if a high thrust prop of sorts would help. Ok guys lets help this feollow sailor out.

Aug 2, 2016
Sounds good. Yes that is exactly the problem with my 5 short, even on a bracket!

Going to the Seattle Boat Show Sunday to shop. Still debating between new or slightly used.

Aug 2, 2016
Dave! You are still here! Excellent
I was leaning towards a 6 or 8hp. Just a little concerned about space in the OB well. I really don’t want to use a bracket again.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
The 6 is still a single cylinder, and exactly the same size as a 4 or 5 (Tohatsu/Nissan anyway). The Tohatsu 8 is a bit bigger. The 6 seemed perfectly sized for the 23.5 outboard well. No problems tilting it up.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Ive got a Honda 8 long shaft. Very happy with it. I think 8 hp is the max needed. I havnt had to go full throttle. I get 5.5-6 kts easily with 2/3 to 3/4 throttle. But still has plenty in reserve.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Thank you Crispy. Is that a 20” or 25” shaft? Enough room in the well to tilt up when under sail?
I got the 25". The prop stays wet unless its really healing over to port. It tilts, no problem and the tiller has plenty of room for angling the thrust when needed. The only thing that bugs me is even when fully tilted up about 4" of the lower unit end is still in the water. I dont care about the drag so much as it gets slimy and my neat self has to keep wiping it clean.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it may be a 20". Cant remember exactly. I can measure if anyone cares. Currently the motor is in my garage for winter.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2016
Johanna did Crispy, this is perfect as these are pretty much the two motors I have a narrow down to. LOL One more question, are both these motors pretty quiet?

Aug 2, 2016
Hey Crisky, I feel your pain on the neat thing. If you don’t mind and it’s not a problem I would be very interested in knowing which shaft length you have. The Tohatsu is a 25 inch “super long“.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
I use Yamaha 6 hp 4 stroke with high thrust prop.Prop works great backing out of slip and manuvering in harbor,dont know if makes much diff in boat speed

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Two things you could do. First extend the outboard motor bracket out by ordering the two stainless steel brackets that were identical for use with the other water ballast boats by hunter offered thru this forum store and should work as the bolt pattern should be the same.
As for the 25 inch, I tend to the long shaft or 20 inch shaft. Why? First the outboard motor bracket is lower than most boats and secondly I worried about those leaving a 25 inch shaft down when launching or retrieving should the bottom of the shaft hit the concrete. Anyone with a Hunter 23.5 with a 25 inch shaft, please respond for your experience only on this one.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
The Tohatsu 6hp is going to be louder, as it is a single cylinder. I think that would be the primary disadvantage. I have a Tohatsu 9.8 on my dinghy and it’s quieter than the 6hp.

The 6hp doesn’t drag at all when tilted though. I’m 99% sure the Honda 8 is a 20” shaft, but you can get 5” shaft extensions for some 8hp outbounds. Maybe not a Honda
http://www.baymfg.com/kits/

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
As for the 25 inch, I tend to the long shaft or 20 inch shaft. Why? First the outboard motor bracket is lower than most boats and secondly I worried about those leaving a 25 inch shaft down when launching or retrieving should the bottom of the shaft hit the concrete. Anyone with a Hunter 23.5 with a 25 inch shaft, please respond for your experience only on this one.
Dave, I never had a problem, and I launched from a very shallow seaplane ramp. I think if the prop could hit concrete, there would be no way you could get the boat on or off the trailer.

The boat came with a 20” Suzuki, which was fine for a lake, but I had to go with the 25” when I moved it to Gulf coast and had to deal with larger waves that would cause the 20” prop to come out of the water fairly often.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The Honda 8 is very quiet and smooth. Love it. Ill check on the length tonight.
+1 to the Honda 8. When I bought my B235 it came with a Tohatsu 6 2 stroke. Very small prop. When I was looking for a new engine, I was lucky the Honda 8 just came out with a 25 shaft. Never regretted the move to straight gas, and an alternator to boot..