Quietest A/C??

Mar 3, 2014
Catalina 28 mkII Nebraska
About to take the leap and (gulp) install reverse heat and A/C in my '08 Catalina 28 MkII. Looking for feedback as to what the quietest brand/unit is. Not sure where the best place to put the compressor is either!
Any and all input is most appreciated!!

MurphyGirl

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've worked on a few, and I believe the Dometic Turbo series is probably the quietest. So long as the compressor is isolated on the rubber feet it comes with, it is nearly silent. Also double the flooring if it is like a sound board when you rap you knuckles on it.

Most of the noise comes from the air moving through the ducts. Keep them on the large size (but not greater than specified--velocity is needed for air mixing in the cabin) and avoid throttling with dampers. Also, try to separate the air return grill from the compressor; that is a noise pathway. Use sealed insulated duct (helps with efficiency, noise, and condensation). If the duct is fiberglass or metal, consider lining it with self adhesive closed cell neoprene foam, for both insulation and sound damping.

I believe there will be a comprehensive article in Good Old Boat Magazine in the March-April edition (yup, that's me)

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The fan is usually the largest issue -- it's a self-contained unit. You really don't have a lot choices on Catalina 28. I would think that you need to focus on locating the unit to fit and function without giving-up too much?

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
Did you look on the Catalina28 yahoo website. They did a write up a couple of months ago.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Actually the consistent A/C noises help drown out the many slaps, creaks, hums and other noise emanating from the boat or environment.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Green noise comes from seasick passengers or a night after heavy drinking (many, many, many, years ago):puke: