Photoday!! A Guillemot's wake.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
9326A581-69B8-41D5-B193-E0EA2CB50F7F.jpeg 4C2DAF75-AB6F-4267-9BDF-A86CB7835D01.jpeg
This little gal showed up to join us for dinner in the cockpit! Funny that I had just read an article about not feeding ducks bread but to give them grapes. We just happened to be eating grapes so I cut one in half and placed down by her. She flat out rejected it. Good thing she didn’t join us when this guy was on our spreader (peregrine)!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I love these Photo Day threads. The story some of your photos tell is absolutely amazing.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
WARNING: The following content may not be suitable for all audiences!

The life of a turkey, a memorial.
Turkey Baby 20170625_190310.jpg
Turkey Baby was always peeping, always crying.
20170701_104728.jpg
Turkey Baby could be distinguished from his fellow turkeys by his position. Ever the loner. The other three, Maxine, the one jenny, and the toms, Dick & Harry hung out together.
20171204_102848.jpg
While the three other turkeys could easily find their way in and out of the coup, Turkey Baby needed help. I carried him in and out, up and down and placed food directly in front of Turkey Baby. It turned out, Turkey Baby had heavy cataracts and was mostly blind. His eyes were very cloudy.
20171204_103143.jpg the toms, Dick & Harry.
20171204_152048.jpg Turkey Baby is the smallest of the the toms.
20171119_113707.jpg what's cooking?
In the end, Turkey Baby was the choice for dinner because, even though he was my favorite, he also had the hardest life and couldn't find his water dish on his own.
Sad as it was, he was the runt of the group, but he still dressed out at 28lbs.
20171130_182119.jpg
Probably the best tasting turkey I've ever had.
I still miss Turkey Baby.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Turkey baby had a much better life than any turkey you can buy in a market. Watch a documentary called “What the Health” (available on Netflix) and it shows how bad the quality of commercial farmed meat can be. Very disturbing, and yes it’s propaganda but it’s true. So whether or not you’re going to be an omnivore, IMHO you should educate yourself - “Big Agra” use of antibiotics, pesticides and GMO means it’s getting more and more difficult to find quality food supplies.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Turkey baby had a much better life than any turkey you can buy in a market. Watch a documentary called “What the Health” (available on Netflix) and it shows how bad the quality of commercial farmed meat can be. Very disturbing, and yes it’s propaganda but it’s true. So whether or not you’re going to be an omnivore, IMHO you should educate yourself - “Big Agra” use of antibiotics, pesticides and GMO means it’s getting more and more difficult to find quality food supplies.
Okay... I'm going to have to out myself here... I'm a professor of analytical chemistry. Several years ago, one of my senior's capstone research project was to analyze grass-fed beef and feed-lot beef for total calcium and magnesium in the flesh. The results were shocking! In some cases the concentration of calcium and magnesium was 5X higher in the grass fed beef. The grass-fed beef was not 5X more expensive!!!!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Turkey baby had a much better life than any turkey you can buy in a market.
Thanks, Larry, for the support. I really appreciate it.
I'm not a "bleeding heart" anything, but that's exactly why I can do it. My job is, in part, to actually care about the animals I raise, everyone of them, so they won't have died without a good life. We all die. We don't all have a good life before then.
The problem I have with being a vegetarian is that without ranching, most of our livestock species would only exist in zoos or not at all.
It's too bad but, I feel, that's the reality. Although, chickens are starting to grow on the public as pets. They are very sweet creatures.
20170908_122258.jpg

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Okay... I'm going to have to out myself here... I'm a professor of analytical chemistry. Several years ago, one of my senior's capstone research project was to analyze grass-fed beef and feed-lot beef for total calcium and magnesium in the flesh. The results were shocking! In some cases the concentration of calcium and magnesium was 5X higher in the grass fed beef. The grass-fed beef was not 5X more expensive!!!!!
That documentary also discusses what’s in the feed they give the animals, and how sick and heavily dosed with antibiotics they are. (This goes up the food chain, as we eat, and has many adverse health effects on humans). I’m not going to try to recount it here, but anyone who eats needs to know more about this, because it affects us all.
The FDA is not doing its job protecting the public. Under current administration their mission will continue to be focused on promoting the financial interests of Big Agra, and consumer protections are too weak or nonexistent.

Jun 14, 2010
Will, I don’t think livestock farming is going away, but I’ve read that the small farmer or those who choose to raise “free-range” livestock grass fed organic are having the deck stacked against them. Even small fruit and vegetable growers are being “regulated” out of business.
I’d be interested in your views about this web site, which is being promoted by some small organic farmers https://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/the-literal-enslavement-of-the-american-farmer/

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
WARNING: The following content may not be suitable for all audiences!

The life of a turkey, a memorial.
Turkey Baby View attachment 145635
Turkey Baby was always peeping, always crying.
View attachment 145636
Turkey Baby could be distinguished from his fellow turkeys by his position. Ever the loner. The other three, Maxine, the one jenny, and the toms, Dick & Harry hung out together.
View attachment 145637
While the three other turkeys could easily find their way in and out of the coup, Turkey Baby needed help. I carried him in and out, up and down and placed food directly in front of Turkey Baby. It turned out, Turkey Baby had heavy cataracts and was mostly blind. His eyes were very cloudy.
View attachment 145638 the toms, Dick & Harry.
View attachment 145639 Turkey Baby is the smallest of the the toms.
View attachment 145640 what's cooking?
In the end, Turkey Baby was the choice for dinner because, even though he was my favorite, he also had the hardest life and couldn't find his water dish on his own.
Sad as it was, he was the runt of the group, but he still dressed out at 28lbs.
View attachment 145643
Probably the best tasting turkey I've ever had.
I still miss Turkey Baby.

- Will (Dragonfly)
I’m surprised you were able to eat Turkey Baby. I always figured once you name them it’s hard to eat them. Who knew!