Replacement windlass for C30 mk II / III

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The factory windlass on my 88 C30 is nearing the end of its life and I am looking for a replacement. I would like to mount the new one in the same location but would like to be able to handle both chain and rode. Any suggestions?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
We offer Lewmar and Quick windlasses, give me a call if you'd like to discuss this.
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Any Pictures of your factory installed windlass? I am interested in seeing the set up from the factory. Thanks

Apr 5, 2009
Here is what Catalina mounted in the C30 MkII. I think they also used it in the 34 & maybe the 36 as well. I believe it is a vertical windlass mounted horizontally
Catalina 30 windlass photo.jpg

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I am going to sound really dumb. But do you just wrap the chain around the drum to get it to pull up the anchor chain?
What does the inside of the boat look like and how do you access the motor?

Apr 5, 2009
I am going to sound really dumb. But do you just wrap the chain around the drum to get it to pull up the anchor chain?
What does the inside of the boat look like and how do you access the motor?
I currently have a 35# CQR with about 30' of 5/16" chain and 250' of 1/2" rode. I usually use the windlass up to the chain/rode splice and then hand haul it the last 30' but you can use the capstan to haul the chain as well. with 3 turns it does not slip much if you keep some tension on it. For mounting there is an access port at the foot of the V-birth to get to the motor.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My 93 C30 has the same OEM windlass. Didn't work during the survey but the surveyor did check some connections and suggested it was just the switch. On my to do list to get it working.

Apr 5, 2009
My switch also failed about 12 years ago due to not being properly sealed. I replaced it and it has worked well since then but the windlass is 30 years old this year so I suspect it will need replacing before too many more years. I would also like to go to longer chain so a chain/rode gypsy would be nice.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ward and Hayden. I had a positive experience working with Dave here at SBO to replace my manual windlass with a new Lewmar electric windlass. My friend Les Troyer helped me remove the 130 feet of chain, anchor and windlass. We worked to remove some real old caulk. Exciting was the cutting of the bolts to remove the anchor roller.
Now the planning begins to locate the new windlass and electrical system to power the new system.

Apr 5, 2009
I am hoping that someone has replaced the capstan only OEM with a chain/rode in the same location.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Are you thinking you want to remove the capstan and replace it with a gypsy?
Would likely need to know the original manufacturer and how it is attached to the motor.
Will need to match your chain type and size, as well as rode diameter to the gypsy.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Surveyor noted mine is a Maxwell. I see they are still in business. Need to crawl up into v berth and find a model number.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ward you are correct. Catalina used Maxwells from the factory. If the gipsy and gears are ok but motor burned out, you can get the motor rewound for a lot less than a new windlass.

The biggest cause of burned up motors is low voltage at the motor caused by poor connections or wire runs too long and too small. Clean and check all connections including points in contractor. Check wire size against chart for line loss.

Mahalo
Les

Apr 5, 2009
I would also like to get a chain/rode gypsy so that I could use longer chain. At one time I heard that Maxwell made a conversion kit for capstan to gypsy but I think that it is no longer available.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Ward you are correct. Catalina used Maxwells from the factory. If the gipsy and gears are ok but motor burned out, you can get the motor rewound for a lot less than a new windlass.
That is good to know.
The windlass, as well as most of the primary DC circuits, are wired with 4 SAE. The breaker is 80A. Using a conservative round trip length of 40' and 60A draw, voltage drop will be 5% and that doesn't account for voltage from the other undersize wiring.
I have some wiring upgrades to do.
Saturday is forecasted to be in the 50s and sunny, a nice break from the cold we have been having. Plan to spend a day getting to know the boat and the winch may be one of the things I check.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have 1/0 running from a bow Battery to my windlass probably 20’ round trip. The bow Battery is feed from #4 via an ACR for charging.

Mahalo