Lexan Crib Boards

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Porterville, CA
Hey All,

I hope the New Year has found you well. I am doing some clean-up and repairs on my '79 C-22 over the winter months and one of my projects it to repair or replace my tired crib boards. I did a search on these forums and discovered that some of you have elected to use Lexan. I did not see anyone link to a manufacturer or retailer of lexan crib boards so, I'm assuming that I could order a sheet of Lexan and cut them myself.

I have seen them done in pieces as well as in a solid single piece. Do any of you have any recommendations on how to best complete this project? Do either of these options present any safety or maintenance concerns?

I look forward to your advice!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I made crib boards for our Albin Vega out of 1/2" dark smoked acrylic. Part of the reason was aesthetics, but also the Admiral wanted to be able to see me in the cockpit at all times if she was down below in foul weather, and vice versa. There are ups and downs to acrylic (Plexiglas) vs polycarbonate (Lexan), but I'll leave that alone. Both are great.

The material was easy to work with, and I was very happy with the results. I made them two piece rather than three, but the Vega's companionway is narrower than the C22's so the boards are smaller. On a C22 I might stick with three pieces. Just determine in advance where and how you plan to store the boards, and the decision will make itself.

Before I cut the two boards into their respective shapes, I took the acrylic sheet to a local cabinetmaker and had him cut it in half with a "rabbet" (like a stair step) in the middle to keep water out. Then I cut the two boards into their proper shapes. The bottom edge of the bottom board is cut at an angle to match the wood trim it sits on. So basically, the acrylic boards are formed exactly like the wooden ones were. :)

Last but not least, you'll want to "burnish" all the edges with a blowtorch. It smooths them out and prevents microscopic cracks in the edge from getting bigger.

Before-and-after pics ...

Sep 19, 2017
Thanks for the reply Gene! That looks great. I prefer this look to the original boards. I will research the differences between plexiglass and lexan.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Slightly off topic but the photo above displays an issue that irks me. Boat designers should not slant the companionway entry so that rain may enter the cabin. I performed a short survey in an upscale anchorage last summer and discovered that most high end boats had the companionway entry either slanted in reverse of the photo above or perfectly vertical. My own boat is lacking this feature.

Sep 24, 2017
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Referencing Gene's posted photo above, what is the decal/plaque to the right of the cabin entrance.

Sep 24, 2017
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Thanks Bill, I think thats it.
I was thinking it was something like a standard nautical flag quick reference decal which would be handy.

Sep 19, 2017
I think the lexan/plexiglass looks so much better. I really don't feel like pouring epoxy into the old ones and refinishing them when I can get such a better look with these. We'll see how it goes. I have a laundry list of things to do this winter including bottom paint and sewing new cabin and cockpit cushions. Pulling all the teak off this week to refinish. None of this stuff was in the brochure! ;)

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Lexan (polycarbonate) is softer, more expensive, and much more likely to scratch than Plexiglass (acrylic) which is harder and more brittle. You can firepolish the edges of acrylic but should not use propane torches as you will inject impurities into the edge of the material causing problems down the road. We use oxy-hydrogen which causes no problems for polishing edges but it does not work on Lexan.
Finally, you should never, ever use Windex or any other ammonia based cleaners or you will get crazing and/or cracking.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
No specific sources, but check with your local plastics supplier and ask if he has any scraps of it, they are often WAY cheaper.
I don't know the difference from starboard, but a similar (I think) product is called G10, and it may be worth investigating as well.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
On my Vision 32, I have 4 boards, 2 are lexan, the other 2 wood and they alternate. I hate them. I have had to take them in and out so many times it was driving me crazy. I am in the process of replacing mine with multiwall polycarbonate like used in greenhouses. I'm going with 2 panels on the new ones. We will see how it turns out. I will keep the old ones, possibly use them for really bad weather and when more security is needed. This is a photo of someone else's setup that inspired me.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
No specific sources, but check with your local plastics supplier and ask if he has any scraps of it, they are often WAY cheaper.
I don't know the difference from starboard, but a similar (I think) product is called G10, and it may be worth investigating as well.
G10 is sheet fiberglass. Starboard sheet is better for this application, IMHO, because it's lighter, easier to work (like wood) and the edges don't require any finishing beyond a light sanding to smooth any saw tooth marks. But G10 is stronger. Haven't compared prices.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Don't miss out on any opportunity to get a clear basketball backboard that someone is giving away, like in the classified section of the paper. I dawdled, and it was gone by the time I called. Not sure what I would have done with it.