Im looking to modify my 2002 26X

rpd

Sep 14, 2017
Macgregor 26x Belledune Nb
I would prefer to be facing the mast raising system using a hand winch as found on 26M
I have a fused neck and therefore not much movement
also would like to change or modify mast foot to again model 26M swivel foot
thank you for your support rpd

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The 26M system worked great on my 26S mast base. Would it not work on an X? BWY can probably fix you up with a system.

rpd

Sep 14, 2017
Macgregor 26x Belledune Nb
thank you but where on the raising bar exactly would I install the winch any schematic with working measurements would be greatly appreciated,and would a winch such as the one on trailer adequate, also should mention that I only purchased the boat late November 2017 and have not yet launched in water presently living in New Brunswick Canada thanks Rene rpd

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
thank you but where on the raising bar exactly would I install the winch any schematic with working measurements would be greatly appreciated,and would a winch such as the one on trailer adequate.
At a comfortable height for your stature.
Yes, a winch such as those found on your trailer could deal with the load. Lots of folks advocate the use of a brake winch, however.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Yes, a winch such as those found on your trailer could deal with the load. Lots of folks advocate the use of a brake winch, however.

I would be one that definitely advocates for the use of an automatic braking winch.
DO NOT use a trailer winch!

Oct 15, 2006
MacGregor 26X Central Florida
I would be one that definitely advocates for the use of an automatic braking winch.
DO NOT use a trailer winch!
I would like to express my concern at using a trailer winch, as well. As carefully as I try to handle the trailer winch, the hold/release mechanism can get jiggled pretty easily. Could see the mast going "boom" at some point when that little puppy got slipped the wrong way. :yikes:

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Contrary to all opinion regarding brake winches, I have gotten by with my gin pole's non-brake type winch.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 26X Ghost Lake, Cochrane AB
I would prefer to be facing the mast raising system using a hand winch as found on 26M
I have a fused neck and therefore not much movement
also would like to change or modify mast foot to again model 26M swivel foot
thank you for your support rpd
I also replaced the original 26X system with the standard winched pole system from the 26M. Have only used it several times but it worked perfectly for me. A lot easier (and safer for doing this single handed) than the original system using the boats winches. I would not use a trailer winch by the way.
Cannot comment on the issue of the 26M style mast other than I think it uses the rotating foot plus rotating assembly where they stays connect?

Newell

Apr 28, 2009
2 Macgregors 26X and 26D Lakes in Utah
"change or modify mast foot to again model 26M swivel foot" Unless you also want to replace the stock mast, spreaders and possibly shroud chainplate positioning, forget the swivel plate idea. I have heard of someone using the 30' M mast on a X but the skipper never reported a definitive improvement in performance. If you go with the M mast you also need a new mainsail. :kick: