Bad news, good news

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
Bad news: while pulling my boat, the yard mangled the anchor roller (anchor was removed for storage).
Good news: they will have a new one fabricated.
I’ve never liked the original. Way too small and short for my CQR primary. We cruise in the Great Lakes. Frequently anchor overnight.
Any advice on improvements or upgrades?
Thank you.

Jun 4, 2004
Good idea. Thanks. Would one fit in a bow roller similar to the original? If not, what mods would be necessary?
I’m not up on the newest ground tackle. What type and size would be recommended for an H37?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
A Mantus/Rochna/Manson type didn't fit on my old roller that did work with my CQR. Go to West and match up the anchor type you want with one of several rollers. take pictures and take pics to the yard.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
What I didn't like about the roller on my H356 was that it had an edge at the end. Since these boats sail around on their anchors I was always worried that the edge would saw through the rode (Never happened). If I had any say in the design I would have the end flared. On my boat the rode went through the windlass. All chain would help but then there would be less shock absorption. Or so it is proposed. You could use a bridle but that does complicate the system.

Jun 4, 2004
This is an addition to my question: what about adding a manual windlass? How do others retrieve their anchors? I currently raise it by hand. Tiring.
Thank you.
Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I’m not up on the newest ground tackle.
Try these:

Anchor Selection 101 includes good discussions of various system selections and pictures of new generation anchors on bowsprits both short and extended http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4457.0.html

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2705.msg19651.html#msg19651

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Why Swivels are a bad idea http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.msg30400.html#msg30400

Steve’s Anchoring 101

The Rocna. All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)

This was our best upgrade.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Ask the yard to PLEASE have the fabricator work directly with you. He can referee with the yard if you are making expensive demands, but otherwise have an updated bow roller built. Be prepared to pay the difference if necessary. Stroll the yard and take pictures of bow rollers on newer boats (not too new, they have gone back to being whimpy bow rollers on new production boats.). As Andrew notes, a flare in the side plates in front of the roller is a good idea. Strong attachments and beefy side plates are important. Make sure it is long enough to get the anchor off your bow gelcoat.

You really should have a windlass. Manual for sure, powered if you can deal with running power and wiring a solenoid at the bow.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Jim, many of us have installed windlasses on our H37Cutters. Upgraded the bow rollers as well. Check the owner modification pages under the Boat Info tab for our model (above).

A horizontal windlass will fit quite nicely in the H37C anchor locker. I installed an SL1200 (no longer made) on mine years ago. Can't imagine hauling anchor by hand anymore.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
A while ago I remember reading in a story about anchors the author was talking about CQR anchors and his opinion stated that stood for "Crappy Quick Replace".
We replaced our Danforth with a Manson Supreme.

EAMc2

Oct 1, 2016
Hunter 37C Cherubini Palm Beach, FL
We are getting ready to have an offset bow roller fabricated. One side for our Bruce & the other side for our Mantus. We have 100' chain on each.

Jun 4, 2004
I write to this forum like a conversation. Moments after asking the question, I researched and learned that was the case. I’ll slow down. Thank you.
Jim

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Its nice to have a good conversation...people don't talk to one another enough these days. (mostly just posting on Facebook: "look at me!") ;)
Cheers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@lingerfeltja Think of it as an old time party line. You start the conversation with one person and suddenly everyone on the same line picks up the phone and shares ideas.

I think that is the way many families shared meal menus.

My mom never shared her special cookie recipes on the party line. That was just for family and the envy of neighbors.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
PARTY LINES????- John you are showing your age..:laugh:
I also remember party lines and clicking when someone else was talking and you wanted to make a call!!!! OMG
But lingerfeltja look at the knowledge everyone has and is willing to share!

Jun 4, 2004
I’m relatively late to the game of cruising and I don’t have unlimited resources. The privilege of enjoying the benefit of your collective knowledge and experience is a huge blessing.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
The original design works well for one anchor (I use a Bruce in the North Channel) except for one major flaw. The jaws (cheeks, flanges) holding the rollers are too close and the shackle for attaching chain to stock often gets jammed sideways in the channel. If copying the original, I would have the fabricators add about a half inch of width to each side and eliminate this problem. Then you will have a great system.
Although hand bombing a 15 kg anchor is not a big issue for me, I must confess the electric windlass is one of the best mods I have made to the old girl.