2018 resolutions and evolutions

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Keep her light. I removed my anchor and chain. Removed a heavy tool box. Put the bedding in the truck after breakfast. Removed the marine head in lieu of a porta-potty. We spend lots of nights on the boat.

On the other hand, bring the anchor and anchor away from the marina a few nights. Sail overnight to the other end of the lake. With some good wind, this boat would get up the lake in 4 hours!

Finish a few projects on the boat: motor lift to get the motor pod clear of the water for less drag while sailing. Replace the centerboard... it kind disappeared this first season :yikes: but it apparently happened to a bunch of Mark I Telstars... Wire some mast lights. Fix my windmeter. Fix a crack around the keel trunk in the inner liner (eeek). Change the outboard steering arm to a pull-pull cable system. Maybe install a top-down furler for my spinnaker and get a Code 0 too. All interesting stuff.

Our sailing evolved in a major way: we switched from monohull to trimaran. We also started using an assymmetric spinnaker on an extendable bowsprit. Compared to a 272, the new boat is a sportscar!

We are looking forward to a great season!
Happy New Year to all!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Get the damage from Harvey repaired on my boat. Then USE it. I'd very much like to get that last 200 miles behind her for my 12,000 cruising miles since relaunch after restoration. and perhaps a few more :) The boat hasn't been on an extended voyage since my 3 month trip to Florida and back in 2015- and that's WAY too long

A preliminary to all of that is to get my back surgery done, so I have my balance back !! :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A preliminary to all of that is to get my back surgery done, so I have my balance back !! :)
Sorry to hear about your back, Charlie. Good luck with your surgery and have a speedy recovery. I'm sure you will be glad you had it done. It's too bad those things are ever necessary.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just hope it’s not unpurified rainwater from the deck of a sailboat.
Fun how conversations carry from thread to thread. It's like those TV series where you have to watch every episode or you'll miss something :biggrin:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not fun @Charlie Jones s/v Tehani. Listen to the nurses. They are the folk who bring water and pain relief at 2am in the dark.
My wife, who is a nurse, wants me to add, It's actually the nurses who really know what's going on so you should definitely listen to them.

Fun how conversations carry from thread to thread. It's like those TV series where you have to watch every episode or you'll miss something :biggrin:
I think I missed that episode. Maybe in the reruns on Hulu:what:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
My wife, who is a nurse, wants me to add, It's actually the nurses who really know what's going on so you should definitely listen to them.

-Will (Dragonfly)
LOL- my late aunt was a nurse all her life, was director of nurses in Houston's Methodist for a while and was on Dr DeBakey's surgical team ( the heart bypass guy) Been told that all my life :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
my late aunt was a nurse all her life, was director of nurses in Houston's Methodist
My wife, Linda, was also CNO. She was Director of Quality, Survey Coordinator and compliance officer. Was the COO before she left. Had more initials in her name tag than any other exec at Littleton Regional Healthcare. Started as an ICU nurse. Her mother was an OB nurse birthing babies of babies of babies she helped deliver 50 years earlier. My mother-in-law was probably spinning in her grave the whole time my wife held an executive position instead of pounding on old guy's chests in the ICU.
Another of my resolutions is not to be one of those old guys, this year.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
BlueJ is getting some late-winter love:

A Velocitek SHIFT compass will replace the GPS-based ProStart compass we now have at the mast. Much more accurate, backlit, and also help keep track of shifts in the median wind.
shift down.jpg

And for bigger breeze or for reaching, we have a new 1.5oz reaching kite on order. All BLACK. Heavier and narrower shoulders helps in both cases. (Picture not us but close and helps the crew visualize!)

black reacher.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Haha! I did not understand the “not us...” so I was confused how your lake looks a lot like West Coast!

Niiiiiice sail! That is gonna be fun!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Haha! I did not understand the “not us...” so I was confused how your lake looks a lot like West Coast!

Niiiiiice sail! That is gonna be fun!
Oh yea. I've got a thing for solid kites, and have always wanted a black one. BlueJ has the biggest kite at WYC. The j/22 fleet (who we ALWAYS seem to meet going upwind in the middle of our downwinds) calls us the 'Nylon eclipse'. They all tack to avoid our wind shadow. Now we'll be even more ominous.

Last edited: