Spininlock tiller extension

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just curious has anyone here tried one of these on a Catalina 22 or similarly sized trailer sailor?
How is the mounting and is my tiller wide enough?

https://www.westmarine.com/outlet/b...r-extension-2-3-feet--P012564605?pCode=161328

The price seems decent and I just cant swallow the cost for the forespar. I also really don't want to make my own. So I go to the internet forum and ask what say you!

Uses will be day sailing and some casual racing. The goal is to allow me to reach the cabin top winches and still maintain a handle on the tiller as well as for hiking.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just curious has anyone here tried one of these on a Catalina 22 or similarly sized trailer sailor?
Google "tiller extension" for more options. Save money with a fixed length model. Measure with a yard stick from your most likely position in the cockpit that you'll need it. Learn to steer with tiller between your knees or get a "tiller tamer" so you can have both hands free when working the winches.
Btw, a tiller extension is a basic piece of equipment on a tiller equipped sailboat... I use mine all the time when sitting on the coaming. Better mobility and visibility for the helmsman.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
get a "tiller tamer"
Tiller Tamer of a Tiller Clutch. Both are good ways to give you an extra hand in the cockpit.
I opted for the tiller clutch. http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/ It is simple to install. Easy to use. Out of the way so it does not catch on things. I'd set it up and balance the sails. I could step out to the bow of my Montgomery15 and ride for hours. If I wanted to change course a little I'd lean to one side. The boat would vary the course up to 10 degrees either direction and not need additional modifications in the cockpit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Jackdaw, Liked your descriptions of the tiller options... The BMW analogy was a great one.
I too liked the Tiller Clutch for all the same reasons. Like boats in general. It is the owners and one solution does not fit all folks.