Air-conditioner

Mar 13, 2015
Hunter 37.5 Cambridge Maryland
I have a 1993 hunter 37.5 I would like to install an air conditioner in the boat this year. After doing lots of research and finally finding one with good reviews I realize it won't fit in the area that I was intending on using. (under the couch near the nav station) is there anyone out there that either had or had installed them selves a AC unit for this same boat? If so where was it placed and what BTU and what manufacture. From what I hear I need a 16,000 BTU unit. 12,000 woodwork in the area that I intended. But I feel that will not be enough. Thanks for everyone's input and time.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I had a 1991 30t and I installed mine in the back berth at the end of the berth. My berth was huge so I built a cabinet on the end and put the A/C unit in there. Your boat my be totally different so don't know if that would work for you. I ran ducts through the adjoining head under the sink then into the salon.

Mar 13, 2015
I am not sure if that will work for me. I will have to look. The holding tank and the diesel tank are back there or mine. I was also thinking about under the nav station and having a cabinet built around it. Thank you for your reply!

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Maybe think about 2 systems. A 12K in the settee and a compact 5K in the aft berth. That way you avoid all the ducting to the back (and it’s losses), and it solves the space problem. Pretty sure the two systems can share a single water pump. Yes it’s xtra $$, but I think it’s more efficient and you wouldn’t have to spend $$ on cabinetry...

Mar 13, 2015
Maybe think about 2 systems. A 12K in the settee and a compact 5K in the aft berth. That way you avoid all the ducting to the back (and it’s losses), and it solves the space problem. Pretty sure the two systems can share a single water pump. Yes it’s xtra $$, but I think it’s more efficient and you wouldn’t have to spend $$ on cabinetry...
I have thought about that as well. Our Dock has 30 amp. service so I'm concerned whether that will be too much

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Well, my 12K draws about 9-10amps, including the water pump. Defender has a 6K unit that draws 6 amps. So figure 16 amps total. I think 24 amps is the max recommended continuous draw on 30 amp service. So you have to watch your other high draw loads, but you’d have to anyway with a single 16K.

Mar 13, 2015
Well, my 12K draws about 9-10amps, including the water pump. Defender has a 6K unit that draws 6 amps. So figure 16 amps total. I think 24 amps is the max recommended continuous draw on 30 amp service. So you have to watch your other high draw loads, but you’d have to anyway with a single 16K.
True

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Previous owner of my boat installed a cruisair emerald series split system in my boat. It operates off of a common 16,000 btu condenser /compressor. One 12,000 btu air handler supplies the main salon & forward berth. The second air handler is 4,000 btu and supplies the aft berth. Both air handlers are connected to the common compressor with supply & return copper tubing lines. This configuration avoids the long duct runs and major cabinet mods.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a 16k and a 10k. Single water pump. Runs fine on 30 amp, along with the bat charger. Start the micro or other hi draw 110 electric and it will trip. Sort of like being on apollo 13........manage those loads.

Apr 23, 2007
- - Chicago
I installed a Vector Turbo Compact 16K unit in my 1994 Hunter Legend 37.5 under the starboard settee. Used some composite siding trim boards shaved at an angle to level unit. Plenty of room and easy to run vents to bathroom, front and rear cabin lockers on this side of boat. More than enough cooling for even the hottest days.

Mar 13, 2015
Just looked up the vector. The price is a lot more than others. The dimensions seem to work. I am thinking about making a cabinet under the nav station and installing a unit there. That way I have more room and more options of other units. So you're saying a 16,000 BTU unit will be more then enough to cool and heat my boat? Thank you for your response

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A 12,000 btu unit will do the job. You are overthinking this.