hunter keel joint.

Jan 9, 2018
hunter 33 montreal
Hi,
I am looking a boat and this is the keel joint, Is it really bad? For the moment i don't have any other pics.

Thanks
keel.PNG

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I'd start with wanting to know 2 facts; whether you're getting a good deal and if you're going to use a surveyor. Having hit a rock with my own boat and doing keel damage, I can tell you it can be very costly if things don't go your way on this. It's possible the separation is occurring because the filler has come away and that's the end of it. But, that's probably doubtful, though. The keel needs to be released to see how much water damage there may be and whether the keel bolts are in good shape. If the keel comes fully off to make repairs, then the mast has to come down otherwise the boat is in danger of tipping. A mast lift by crane is expensive. So, it's really all about the price you're getting. There's lots of Hunter's out there, so why take one with a dubious issue.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Not knowing what year the boat is, the notch in the bottom front of the keel looks suspect. Really need more info.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
The fairing compound Hunter used is fairly brittle, and it
is not uncommon to see it cracked. But, because the crack extends the length of the joint, I'd check carefully inside the boat for cracks and fiberglass delamination - or have someone like a surveyer inspect. Hunter keels are attached with pretty beefy bolts and 5200, and the hull layup that supports the keel is strong. Odds are it's cosmetic, but it pays to be sure.
BTW, that "notch" is just the perspective view of the junction of the keel to the wing, not damage

Jan 9, 2018
hunter 33 montreal
Hi

I will have the boat surveyed. I have to check. For now this just the pics i have.

Thanks.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
BTW, that "notch" is just the perspective view of the junction of the keel to the wing, not damage
Thank you. I see it now. The perspective is really different at 2:00 pm than at 2:00 am.:rolleyes:

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Depending on the year of the boat, it could be either a lead or cast iron both made by Mars Metals in Canada. What you are seeing is the keel to hull joint that was sealed with 5200 and bolted into place. The first question is there any water coming thru the keel bolts in the bilge area and if so the suggestion to lower the keel off and repair/recaulk/install back would be recommended.. If not, cutting out the affected area and apply 5200 once area is cleaned is the route yards would take but a lot depends on what is found. If buying the boat, the suggestion of a marine survey is recommended and for insurance purposes is required on most boats now for sale before a policy is offered which of course depends on that survey. There are other suggestions but the choice is yours. Remember 5200 normally cures in 7 days unless you go for the faster drying 5200 which I do not suggest here.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
According to Hunter, they do not use 5200, but a shop made epoxy filler mix. The filler gives it some flexibility and they believe this mix has a stronger bond than 5200.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Are you talking with Marlow Hunter as to what they do now? I use to be a dealer and on the 33 it was 5200 but that was some time back when retiring in 2010 unless it is a fairing compound mix once the keel is in place? I would not use a putty but rather 5200 to make sure no water seepage into the bilge and on the keel bolts paticuraly now as the keels are cast iron and not lead years ago when I was a dealer.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Are you talking with Marlow Hunter as to what they do now? I use to be a dealer and on the 33 it was 5200 but that was some time back when retiring in 2010 unless it is a fairing compound mix once the keel is in place? I would not use a putty but rather 5200 to make sure no water seepage into the bilge and on the keel bolts paticuraly now as the keels are cast iron and not lead years ago when I was a dealer.
I was talking to Marlow Hunter as to what they did on my 1996 376. They said they used epoxy with a filler. It looks just like 5200 but they said it is not.

When did Hunter change from lead to iron?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
All of the 356s have lead keels, the change to iron came later - somewhere in the 36 series. I know for the 41DS the changeover came in 2008 (because I was looking and refused to consider iron keel boats)

Dec 10, 2003
Hunter 30_88-94 Edmonds, WA
I had a similar issue with my 1990 Hunter 30 a decade ago. Hunter said to open the crack with a Dremel tool and let it weep until it stopped. Then fill the crack with 5200, and glass over it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. Haven't had issues since. There is usually get a little smile crack on the leading edge at the hull/keel joint at every haul out (two years).

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not knowing what year the boat is, the notch in the bottom front of the keel looks suspect. Really need more info.
I think this is a wing keel, and the “notch” is an optical illusion in the photo (not a chunk out of the front edge of the keel).

Greg

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Any bolted on keel can develop these cracks. Usually they're harmless but the danger signal is rust weeping out of the crack, indicating that the keel bolts are corroding. No sign of that in the photo so this one may just be cosmetic. A surveyor could probably confirm that. If it was bleeding rust I would walk away and not bother with the survey.

Jan 9, 2018
hunter 33 montreal
Some follow up.
The boat was surveyed. Nothing wrong was discovered. We did grind it and put some 5200. Never had any water coming in. I took the boat from Annapolis MD to Gatineau Qc. Nice trip with my girlfriend. Except from a losse ground connection at the charger it went very well. Even unmasting it at Catskill was kind of easy. thanks you all for the support.