ACR Installation

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I am planning my ACR installation on my 1993 Catalina 30.

Where have folks installed the ACR itself on this boat? Ideally, it should be connected directly to the battery positive terminals and not the battery selector switch. Copper wire of gauges needed for this activity are super expensive so somewhere near the batteries would be nice but I'm having difficulty seeing where that might be.

Also, I am thinking of using Blue Sea Systems 5191 Fuse Block Terminals to fuse the battery connections. Anybody see any problems with this?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I get my MBRF fuses and holders from waytek wire. If you get a dual holder, fuse the ACR at 75 and the other at 200+. Make sure the downstream wire is rated for the fuse size.

Mahalo

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Ideally, it should be connected directly to the battery positive terminals and not the battery selector switch.

Also, I am thinking of using Blue Sea Systems 5191 Fuse Block Terminals to fuse the battery connections. Anybody see any problems with this?
Wiring diagrams that Maine Sail posts show 2/0 from batt terminals to selector switch or + buss bars linked to selector switches. He also shows 4 Ga cable to the ACR. So I would avoid running 2/0 direct from batt terminals to ACR. So if you want that direct link from batt term to ACR, I guess I would use a double posted MBRF with say 300 A fuse protecting 2/0 cables and 150 A fuse protecting 4 Ga cables. Otherwise, the diagrams also show the ACR connected to + buss and/or selector switch with either 2/0 gauge cable or 4 Ga cable with 150 A fuse protection.

I wouldn't think that it would be difficult to find a bulkhead where the ACR can be mounted hidden from view. I used a varnished hardwood block (about 3/4" thick) to mount the ACR and the block was mounted to fiberglass underneath the salon seat not much more than a foot from the batteries. I think it should be somewhere where it is reliably dry.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is the ACR Blueseas' combiner? Do have or did you buy one already?

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/990170140.pdf

If you get a remote indicator lamp, you can locate the unit where ever most convenient or involving the shortest runs.

If you voltage regulator and alternator already have independent outputs for different battery banks, it may be unnecessary to install one.

Another manufacturer which I have used (less expensive, very good service, etc.) is http://yandina.com/. You can get their combiner from Defender or directly from the manufacturer. They are less expensive, great warranty, pretty bulletproof, etc.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Womble,
I haven't done this but I'm in the planning process of installing the Blue Sea ACR on my 93 C30 as well as a new AC 20A charger.
I have two batteries under the starboard sette and one auxiliary under the port sette aft of the holding tank.
I plan to put both the charger and ACR under the nav station on the aft wall of the chart holder.
There isn't much height in my battery compartment so I plan on fusing the battery cable with a ANL fuse block on the back wall of the compartment. From there the battery cable will run to a positive bus bar behind the distribution panel.
Blue Sea is coming out with a surface mount MRBF bus bar that holds three MRBF fuses. I plan to use that for fusing the charger/ACR, alternator and an "Always On" ATC fuse block for bilge pump, VHF radio, etc. (Note- It appears Maine Sail used the same fuse for the charger and ACR fusing in his article on installing a battery charger. https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-marine-battery-charger/ . I will be asking him to confirm this.)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have an older BS - ACR - and it was limited to 60A (thus my fusing recommendations above) -- the new ones support 120A - So fuse appropriately.

Ward I have separate MRBF battery side of the charger and ACR's (I have two ACR's). I have a double holder on the battery (250 & 30) and several more on the 12V+ buss bar. The 250 goes to a switch - then the buss bar, the 30A goes to a BS ATC fuse holder for items that are 24x7 (bilge pumps, vessel monitor) The buss bar has fuses for the ACR's, another set of house batteries & line going to alternator, charger, emergency parallel.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
FYI, Some of the Yandina units are rated it above 225 Amps.

Apr 27, 2014
Catalina 30mklll Hudson, FL
Womble
I have a 1995 Catalina 30 MK III and I mounted the ACR under the starboard settee with my 4D battery -Battery #1. (Battery #2 is located under the quarter berth next to the hot water tank.) I installed new cables to batteries, starter and alternator as shown in the attached diagram (Neg cables also 2/0 but not shown). Because of height restrictions in the battery compartment, I mounted the MRBF dual fuse blocks on the side of the battery terminal as shown in the pictures. (The smaller wires in the picture are from my battery charger, which also charges both batteries via the ACR.)
I purchased a remote indicator for the ACR but never installed it since I can easily check whether the unit is charging by using my battery check switch.
I did this wiring a few years ago and it works great! Engine starts quickly even if the battery voltage is less than 12 volts, after a night or 2 on the hook.

Regarding the cables, I purchased the cables from www.genuinedealz.com. They made up custom cables complete with terminals. Free shipping, quick delivery and no tax.

Dean Perry

Attachments

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Dean,
Nice job. I may copy some of those ideas.

Leslie,
I got the idea for a Always On ATC Fuse Block from a post by you telling someone else how you did that.
Those dual MRBF fuse blocks do come in handy. I will be using one on my aux battery for battery and ACR fusing. If Blue Sea delays the surface mount MRBF block, I will do as you did and put in a busbar with dual MRBF fuse blocks on it for the appropriate fusing.