2018 resolutions and evolutions

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Every spring on both BlueJ and Kestrel, EVERYTHING comes off the boat and onto the dock. Everything. Then only what we want/need goes back on. Its a pain but it saves up hundreds of pounds.
Those bikinis can add a lot of extra weight. Food for thought.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
6 days, 7 nights movie quote -
Angelica: Look what I bought, Quinny. Quinn Harris: Uh... what is it? Angelica: It's a bikini, silly! Frank Martin: I thought it was an eye patch.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
lot of extra weight. Food for thought.
Cruising tip of 2018:

Keep them small and dry!

Pondering:
If you clip a wet bikini top to the pennant line and its "air drying" in the breeze..
Does it really add weight to your boat?

Jim...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
@Justin_NSA I find it most difficult if there is a strong cross-breeze at the slip. The nose keeps wanting to turn and you don't have enough speed to keep way. A spring-line attached at a mid-ship cleat can help a lot with that if you find a cross wind is giving you fits. I sometimes set one up on my shroud's chain plate before I enter the marina and sail up to and slightly past the "windward" pylon of my slip, then run the line around the pylon and take it back to the cockpit and wrap it around the transom cleat. Put the motor in reverse and using the spring line I can get the stern turned into the slip and keep the nose pointed out. This also works well if you get some help from a neighbor on the dock.

If it is a really strong breeze, you may need to attach the line at the bow instead of mid-ship to give a little more leverage.

View attachment 145196
View attachment 145197
Nice graphic. I wish we had those pylons: would make my backing up easier and probably adds additional protection. I'm always anxious about my slip neighbor's tilted outboard sticking out.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Nice graphic. I wish we had those pylons: would make my backing up easier and probably adds additional protection. I'm always anxious about my slip neighbor's tilted outboard sticking out.
Oh well.... sorry it was not helpful. Is there a large cleat at the end of your finger pier that you could snag with a spring line? Might work the same way.

r

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Things to do after launch of new boat.
1. Practice close quarters maneuvering.
2. MOB drills
3. Learn how boat responds when Hove To
4. Performance sail trim
5. Benefits of flying bikini tops from spreaders. (Note to self. This may take a lot of trials. Need to carefully select crew)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
5. Benefits of flying bikini tops from spreaders. (Note to self. This may take a lot of trials. Need to carefully select crew)
and be very wary of what (and I'll choose my words very carefully here) reproduction hardware the neighbourhood boats have on board. Or rather, how big the lenses are that are mounted.
Oh nevermind.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
and be very wary of what (and I'll choose my words very carefully here) reproduction hardware the neighbourhood boats have on board. Or rather, how big the lenses are that are mounted.
Oh nevermind.
At some point its easier if you just don't care. Consider it part of the 'Make America Beautiful' program. Or Canada.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That’s the princesses’ resolutions. To not kiss frogs. Or at least this frog.
Maybe I should have suggested, "Kiss YOUR princess more."
That way you may find it easier to obtain that all important bikini top to fly from your spreaders. Or in case you suddenly need an eye patch;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We have no time to participate in this programme @Jackdaw rght now, we have a big bowl of popcorn and are being thoroughly entertained by CNN. :)

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Go on an cruise that is longer than an overnighter across the bay and back. Hopefully St Michaels or the Sassafras river. Or both!