HP42 racor dual filter installation

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Providence, RI
Hi, everyone! Just trying pick up some ideas from someone who already installed Racor dual fuel filter on HP42. Most of all I'm looking for location and the way it was mounted. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat came standard with dual ten micron Racor fuel filters; one for the main engine and one for the Genset. Both are installed on the starboard bulkhead side of the engine compartment, inline with the stuffing box. These supplement engine mounted fuel filters in both cases; ten for the main engine and six for the Genset. I may have a photo, if so I'll post it here.

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
Yes, Terry-please post pictures of installation for both filters for engine and genset, these what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Our boat came standard with dual ten micron Racor fuel filters; one for the main engine and one for the Genset. Both are installed on the starboard bulkhead side of the engine compartment, inline with the stuffing box. These supplement engine mounted fuel filters in both cases; ten for the main engine and six for the Genset. I may have a photo, if so I'll post it here.
I am curious if you have ever thought of installing a crossover line with some ball valves to build in some redundancy in case of plugged filter? By adding a couple of "T"'s and 3 ball valves, you could switch from one filter to the other if the first became plugged.

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
This is what exactly Racor/Parker dual filter doing.

Dec 25, 2000
Yes, Terry-please post pictures of installation for both filters for engine and genset, these what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Hi Zaya, hopefully no hurry here. It will be a few days before I can get to the boat to take some pictures. I thought maybe there was one already on file, but no luck.

Dec 25, 2000
I am curious if you have ever thought of installing a crossover line with some ball valves to build in some redundancy in case of plugged filter?
Hi Hayden, never gave it a thought. But to your point, for whatever reason, when Onan built these Gensets they equipped them with a two micron engine mounted cartridge fuel filter. Overkill, IMHO, and expensive!

A few years ago, after maybe 400 hours on the 1991 engine, it sputtered to a stop after running for maybe a half hour. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. Replaced it with a six micron NAPA spin on canister. Six micron will give it plenty of protection. So far so good.

Rather than rigging what you suggest, a nice idea, having a spare fuel filter on hand should provide the assurance needed.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not a hp42 but here is one I built for my C36
The dual pumps and valves let either filter supply fuel to the engine or polish the fuel. It can do both at the same time if desired

A pendant with push button allows me to crack the on engine bleed screw until the air is gon on the on engine filter.
( before mounting to boat)
2F7A946C-63E3-4116-A166-9A1529AD56A9.jpeg
11B92AA2-44A8-4926-AA65-079AB3752CE0.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Zaya, just got back from a long weekend on the water. Those pics of our original Racor fuel filter installation follow:

This photo shows the upper Racor for the Genset that rests above here on a shelf.
Fuelfilter1.JPG

An up close shot of the same filter.
Fuelfilter2.JPG

This photo shows the Racor for the main engine below the Genset filter.
Fuelfilter3.JPG

Just a slightly different angle shot of the upper Racor.
Fuelfilter4.JPG

Hard to see from these pictures, but both units are mounted on a piece of plywood that is secured to the engine room bulkhead starboard side. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
Thanks, but I was looking for installation information of this one mainly because of it's size: