2018 resolutions and evolutions

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
More sailing. Just finished adding a rigid boom vang and replaced the curved traveler. Now I just need a dry suit !!

Les

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
My new year's resolution is to put my boat back together and to get away on a 3 week cruise this summer. The engine is currently out of the boat to facilitate engine mount & sound insulation replacement. While in there, I'm laso replacing the cutlass bearing and putting in a dripless seal.
Cheers
Matt

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm going to learn to back Bella into our slip without damage to her and the neighbors. It's a very tight maneuver with a stone jetty right behind us. Our crew ain't getting any younger and the open transom is sooo much easier to board.
Most of the big projects are done. It's time to enjoy being on the water.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm going to learn to back Bella into our slip without damage to her and the neighbors. It's a very tight maneuver
I don't know if this is a viable option but they make bow mounted trolling motors with remote control for steering and throttle. Maybe you could add a mod for one as a bow thruster.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't know if this is a viable option but they make bow mounted trolling motors with remote control for steering and throttle. Maybe you could add a mod for one as a bow thruster.
- Will (Dragonfly)
I'm hoping I can improve my wheel and rudder skills. I have corner wheel fenders on the slip fingers and other strategically placed fenders. Also someone on the dock with a line until I do better. Prop walk is my enemy.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Spend more nights on the water. Although we sailed over 60 days, Jodi and I only spent three nights on the boat. Which is a shame, because I really spend last spring making her very croozy. While I'm sure the month of radiation and chemo had something to do with it, I'm looking for at least 10 night on the hook this year.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Make her lighter and sail her faster! New jib on order so the excuses are pretty much gone!
"Make her lighter" is an evolution I've been working on with my boat for many years.

Every spring, I find more pounds to remove. Stuff that has just become permanently stored, I take off. It all adds up. Old boat, new boat, taking weight off let's you sail more in lighter wind. Lighter is faster.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
"Make her lighter" is an evolution I've been working on with my boat for many years.

Every spring, I find more pounds to remove. Stuff that has just become permanently stored, I take off. It all adds up. Old boat, new boat, taking weight off let's you sail more in lighter wind. Lighter is faster.
Every spring on both BlueJ and Kestrel, EVERYTHING comes off the boat and onto the dock. Everything. Then only what we want/need goes back on. Its a pain but it saves up hundreds of pounds.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Does that mean by taking the extra chain rode off the boat I don’t need worry about the extra Christmas pounds that shows up on the hips?
it's all proportional. Heavier captain, larger boat, less weight per foot of water line. :wink:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
.....Also someone on the dock with a line until I do better....
@Justin_NSA I find it most difficult if there is a strong cross-breeze at the slip. The nose keeps wanting to turn and you don't have enough speed to keep way. A spring-line attached at a mid-ship cleat can help a lot with that if you find a cross wind is giving you fits. I sometimes set one up on my shroud's chain plate before I enter the marina and sail up to and slightly past the "windward" pylon of my slip, then run the line around the pylon and take it back to the cockpit and wrap it around the transom cleat. Put the motor in reverse and using the spring line I can get the stern turned into the slip and keep the nose pointed out. This also works well if you get some help from a neighbor on the dock.

If it is a really strong breeze, you may need to attach the line at the bow instead of mid-ship to give a little more leverage.

slipwalker.jpg

dockwalker.jpg