Screw on Boom Vang Hound

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hi All,

I am trying to remove the hound from my mast. I am changing out the mast step. I can't seem to find the correct bit. I posted a picture. Any ideas? Should I just drill it out?

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I purchased a set of tamper-proof bits from Fry's Electronics for about $19, covers all those little weird ones. Worst case, drill it out. At H-D the Milwaukee Cobalt drill bits are much better at drilling stainless that Dewalt Titanium Nitride.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you have to service a device with one other, you would see the efficacy.

The real question why some would use a fastener like that a boat in that situation?..

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
But at 40+ dollars, I still don't see the efficacy.
You don't have to buy the entire screwdriver handle and multiple bits. Just buy the single bit that you need to do the job. The link was just meant to show the tri-wing driver pattern. The driver bit only costs a couple of dollars.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A six-point Torx/Star bit of the right size might fit the three slots?

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Looks like a four step process to me:
1. Buy the proper bit that fits the tamper proof screw head.
2. Apply a penetrating oil to the screw to loosen any corrosion between the dissimilar metals
3. Remove the screw
4. Find the person who did this and smack them vigorously in the back of the head.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Looks like a four step process to me:
1. Buy the proper bit that fits the tamper proof screw head.
2. Apply a penetrating oil to the screw to loosen any corrosion between the dissimilar metals
3. Remove the screw
4. Find the person who did this and smack them vigorously in the back of the head.
I certainly agree with 3/4ths of your response, but I'd destroy those screws! ;)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
If you can't find or don't want to buy the bit there is an alternative that has worked well for me over the years. Use a dremel with a cutoff bit in it to cut a straight slot in the head of the screw. Then use a standard flat blade screwdriver to remove. Generally the cutting heats the screw to loosen any lock tight that may have been applied. If that does not work use the slot you cut and drive a punch at an angle to release the screw. Either the screw will come out or the head will snap and then you can drill it out. Just look online to make sure the screw is not reverse threaded as some security bits are.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Two thoughts now... If it truly is a security screw, you may not be able to buy the bit, and if you did, can you really remove the security screw that the bit installed? Buy a left hand drill to drill out the screws. It just might bite the screw first, and back it out. Otherwise, it would drill away the screw. To install a boom bail on a previous/smaller boat, I used- instead of screws- an eye bolt and an eye nut so I could attach something to the boom.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Thanks for the responses everyone! I have just enough information to be my dangerous self now... ;)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
To install a boom bail on a previous/smaller boat, I used- instead of screws- an eye bolt and an eye nut so I could attach something to the boom.
Good idea, Ron. I used through bolts & nylocks with a bushing with larger holes. Works on a boom, not so much for a mast.