Spinnaker

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Our boat came with a spinnaker (the PO bought it new with the boat and never used it).
It came with an adjustable pole. That's about all I know.

I know I need something to attached the pole to on the mast. I'd like to gather a parts list and develop a plan for making this thing functional. When I remove the cover in the spring i'll get this fitted before she goes back in the water.

I've never flown a spinnaker so any and all advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Do you know if it is a symmetric or asymmetric spinnaker? The are rigged very differently. If you do not know, take the sail out on a lawn and stretch it out and see if the length of each side is the same. On an asymmetric, the tack/luff will be significantly longer than the clew/leach.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I went through this last spring. There are a lot of different ways to rig one. You will need to find out, first what type of sail you have, and then the particulars for your boat. In general, your going to need a pole attachment point, lines to control the position of the pole, some blocks to go in the aft corners of you hull and sheets and a halyard for the sail.
They are a lot of fun to learn to use and have some great downwind efficiency.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The adjustable whisker pole is probably for your Genoa.

The spin is most likely an asymmetric, seem much more appropriate for the 310, in particular noting the lack of a true spin pole.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
sounds like fun-on the future list!

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
The bag says Asymmetrical spinnaker, Catalina 310. There is a plastic funnel type thing and two sheets.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The bag says Asymmetrical spinnaker, Catalina 310. There is a plastic funnel type thing and two sheets.
Might be a good opportunity to spend a bit of quality time with dr Google. Try; spinnaker sock.
Report back. :)

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
My report - after spending some quality time on youtube, it appears that a pole is not used to fly an asymmetrical spinnaker. However the pole would be useful to fly the genoa down wind. We used to use a boat hook on our 22' tanzer to hold the genoa out while wing and wing. That had a 150 genoa, caught a lot of air. The 135 on the 310 seems small in comparison.

Is it worth poling out the 135 on the 310?

Merry Christmas.

If I cant be sailing on Christmas, may as well be thinking of sailing

Mike

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
A whisker pole can definitely be used on an asymmetrical spinnaker, that is a common misconception.

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Wasnt saying it coundt be used, just that the youtube videos i seen didnt show using one. Remember, I don't know anything about this stuff and Im just learning off you guys, google and youtube.

Took the spinnaker out of the bag. Looks like everything is present and accounted for. Sheets, lines to lift and lower the sock and there is also an ATN tacker. Had to look that one up. Also remember a block on the bow pulpit that I didn't know what it was for. I think its for the down haul for the ATN Tacker. But it appears that if I don't use a pole everything is all set to fly the spinnaker.

So then the only question that remains is it worth putting an attachment loop on the mast for a whisker pole to use with a 135 genoa?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Whisker poles are an added complexity. Personally, I would wait on using the pole with any sail until you are comfortable with the basics of the boat. I've seen, and experienced first hand, the desire to make changes right away only to later find out that there was a reason things were set up the way they were. Sail it as-is for a bit and then start deciding what mods to make.

As for videos that show asyms with poles.... Here I go again ;-) with a video I did for Forespar...

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Forget the pole, CTS. The only time you might want to use it is when sailing dead down wind flying the spin and main wing-on-wing. That’s a awkward point of sail. Better to sail on a broad reach. I’ve flown asymmetricals for years - never used a pole. Keep it simple.
Xmas cheers!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Forget the pole, CTS.
Ditto. Go out, fly the kite in virtually no wind, leave the main put away, make the mistakes, learn how to use it. It's not a hard sail to fly at all, and with the sock, you can put it away relatively quickly if the wind comes up or the nerve goes away.
A fixed pole, referred to as a sprit is the best way ever to fly an asym, but not the only way.
IMG_5557.JPG

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I have a 155 Genoa and use a pole that extends to 18 ft. I also have an asymmetrical spinnaker. I use whichever seems appropriate for the conditions and wind angle. I won't fly the spinnaker single-handed with the wind above 10 knots. In those conditions I use the Genoa and pole. When in one of the fun club races, (I don't do serious racing) I'm never in the spinnaker class so the pole comes in handy with the Genoa. For the chute, I run the asymmetric sheets through snatch blocks on the rear cleats. The bungee keeps the block from whacking into the deck.

It is easy to put a track on the mast with a ring. If you have a furling main, the attached picture shows the mast cross section. You will be drilling between the two PVC conduits. I tapped the holes and put in the track with flat head aluminum screws. I used four feet of track for the ring, but I think 2 or three feet would work.

Attachments