Pearson Keel Patch

Dec 23, 2017
Pearson 32 OH
Hi All,

First time poster. I came to this forum to try and get more info related to a Pearson 32 that I am interested in buying.

I have posted this question on another forum, and thought the Pearson specific forum on this site may have better information.

I recently looked over a Pearson 32, 1982. After doing an initial survey myself, including sounding the keel, I noticed a previous patch job on the keel about 12" x 12". It's located on the centerline of the keel, probably 2' from the bottom edge. I noticed a very small trail of rusty water leaking from the bottom left edge of the patch which is obviously cause for concern, coupled with the noticable slight cracking around the entire perimeter of the patched area. When the patched area is sounded, it's a very hollow report compared to the rest of the keel. I've attached a picture to show the area.

It seems to be a somewhat common issue. Any insight would really be appreciated.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Look over this review from Practical Sailor (to the left, there are links).
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/33_8/boatreview/Pearson-32-Used-Sailboat-Review_5477-1.html

One of the links under the heading "Also with this Article" are "Construction Details:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/newspics/0807_CONSTRUCTION_DETAILS.pdf
If you're interested in the boat, I'd look over all the links and get familiar with the boat.

I'm concerned about where that patch is relative to the bolt-on keel -- others may have a view on this. Do you have your own independent surveyor who is helping you? Do you have any experience with sailing boats? Etc., etc.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
I used a to own a Pearson 32, and on my boat the keel was solid lead in the area where that patch is. I'm mystified by the appearance of rust stains there. Can you maybe ask the PO what's going on?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Maybe I’m wrong, but from the picture of Construciton *.pdf that was in the PS article, I suspect that i) the boat was hiked above the keel and into the keel stub; or, the boat had some grounding or structural challenge from hauling/blocking/land storage which necessitated accessing.

I’d get comfortable with what happened, what was done, etc. before — not after — you go further in acquiring the vessel.

Dec 23, 2017
Pearson 32 OH
Thanks for the links. I've read through the articles and associated content previously and found they were helpful.

I have not hired a surveyor as it's more than likely this is a significant issue, and down the drain goes $800. It appeared to be a fairly common occurrence based on other forum posts I've seen, and figured the cost could be saved from others experience.

The construction details are not very clear when it comes to the keel molding itself and how far in the keel bolts go down, it almost seems that Pearson put some sort of patch on the keel.

I don't have a lot of experience with sailboats, however I'm very mechanically inclined and have worked on a number of other related type systems. It's just gaining a solid understanding of the construction, then applying some investigative and problem solving work.

After feeling comfortable with the condition based on my own survey, I would employ a surveyor for verification of condition.

Dec 23, 2017
Pearson 32 OH
I used a to own a Pearson 32, and on my boat the keel was solid lead in the area where that patch is. I'm mystified by the appearance of rust stains there. Can you maybe ask the PO what's going on?
Yeah, I think this may be the only way to get a solid answer because it does seem strange.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
How far down did the keel trunk go? I thought the patch spanned the bilge and top of lead? Maybe I’m mistaken.

Dec 23, 2017
Pearson 32 OH
The patch was roughly 12" down from the hull-to-keel joint.

From other research and suggestions, it seems like it may be a grounding plate? I'll check for continuity between the thru-hulls and patch to verify.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If a grounding plate, wouldn’t you need to get wires to the other side which would be tough through the lead keel. My Old Pearson had something like that however it was for the centerboard pin.....

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Andy why would a grounding plane be painted?

If it were depending on the lead, what is the purpose in limiting it?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Tap it and see if it’s filler...... might be a repair. Look closely at keep bolts. If I owned the boat I would dig it out

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Unless you don't use a zinc (or zincs) on the shaft (which I think would be a mistake) I wouldn't be using the keel as my path of conduction. It just begs other questions on corrosion.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
One other possibility is that they had to add weights to it because of modifications made to the vessel. As I too made changes to my Mast height by adding 35 lbs to center ( CL ) regardless what I did, You really need it to be opened and inspected properly by a real PROFESIONAL. Good Luck! Capt Rob

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
One other possibility is that they had to add weights to it because of modifications made to the vessel. As I too made changes to my Mast height by adding 35 lbs to center ( CL ) regardless what I did, You really need it to be opened and inspected properly by a real PROFESIONAL. Good Luck! Capt Rob
Rob,
How would adding 35#s make a material difference to the mast height above the water? It's like a case of wine or beer -- or even bringing a medium sized dog aboard :^)))

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Rob,
How would adding 35#s make a material difference to the mast height above the water? It's like a case of wine or beer -- or even bringing a medium sized dog aboard :^)))
I just had a new mainsail manufactured to increase the sail area. So I added the weight for that and 6" of mast height. this was what I wanted personally. To be able to take a little more wind before healing ..lol My boat my choice.. Regards, Capt. Rob