Replacing the old Fico pin traveler on my 1987 O'Day 272LE.

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
For the 2018 sailing season I want to update my old but workable Fico pin traveler system to a new control line system. I want to retain my existing 1 1/4" track. Has anyone done this improvement?
What brand would be the best? Would the change out be easy?
Chuck

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A lot depends the logistics of the track... for instance, if your track butts up against the coaming on both ends, you'll want to maximize your car's travel by using a system that will let it get as close to the sides as possible. So.. a center, car mounted cleat system may not work as well as a car with sheaves on center and cleats on the coaming. You can mount the end blocks off the track.... on the coaming wall, or even hidden behind it (if you're creative) to allow the car to snug up against the very end.
If the track is raised a bit, you could use a center cleated car and end track blocks... some sailors like the control line in the center.

Take a look at the very simple system on my cat 27.... I could get the car even close to the coaming with the Harken car that has sheaves mounted right on top... This pic was taken in 2004... I've made some minor changes to get raise the lower part of mainsheet so the coaming doesn't interfere with the cleat... but traveler has essentially remained the same. I use a continuous traveler control line... works better and is easier to keep track of.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
For the 2018 sailing season I want to update my old but workable Fico pin traveler system to a new control line system. I want to retain my existing 1 1/4" track. Has anyone done this improvement?
What brand would be the best? Would the change out be easy?
Chuck
https://garhauermarine.com/images/product/MT-1.jpg

Not sure of the size of the track but I got the blocks from this traveler from Garhauer for my O'Day 31 and installed them on the existing track. The blocks on the center traveler car mounted onto the existing traveler car so I didn't have to replace that. Garhauer also modified the control ends so the cam cleats would swivel and lead more easily through my dodger. They will make stuff to your needs. I dealt with a guy named Guido there but that was a few years ago. They were a little slow but the product works great. It was a great upgrade for a relatively modest amount of money.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I just bought Lewmar size1 for my ODay 28. I plan to rig with one legnth of line, using a bight in the control line at the car. What I like about this pre-canned system is the track simply gets cut to appropriate length, and to fasten to the deck it contains a slot for the fastener heads, so fits to the existing holes. Buy right here from SBO store! They will give you a great price!!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I just bought Lewmar size1 for my ODay 28. I plan to rig with one legnth of line, using a bight in the control line at the car. What I like about this pre-canned system is the track simply gets cut to appropriate length, and to fasten to the deck it contains a slot for the fastener heads, so fits to the existing holes. Buy right here from SBO store! They will give you a great price!!!
BlueJ uses this setup and its pretty swell. A nice part of these engineered solutions (lewmar, harken etc) that replace both track and car is the car rides on a two large races of torlon bearings, Super slick even under massive loads.

Last edited:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
BlueJ uses this setup and its pretty swell. A nice part of these engineered solutions (lewmar, harken etc) that replace both track and car is the car rides on a two large races of torlon bearings, Super slick even under massive loads.
yes, I noticed the bearing race was Huuuuge. I couldn't stand the current setup, so am looking forward to spring. The current had the cam cleats on the traveler which is a flat vertical piece of stock and parallel to the track, so to trim the car to weather you were pulling along the track (sidearm style), with little clearance to the coaming. I have a bridgedeck mounted traveler sheeted to boom end.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017
ODay 30 0000 Colonial Beach, VA
I've been eyeing the Garhauer arrangement for our 30... my goal isn't so much speed or even convenience, but being able to bring as many of these adjustments, controls back near the helm because I'm effectively solo much of the time...

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I've been eyeing the Garhauer arrangement for our 30... my goal isn't so much speed or even convenience, but being able to bring as many of these adjustments, controls back near the helm because I'm effectively solo much of the time...
I have the complete Garhauer upgrade kit on my boat and it's fantastic. Too heavy for a serious racer, but for a phrf 190 tub like mine, it's just fine.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Super easy DIY project. I did my 272LE 5 years ago or so... Here're some pics. The control lines lead aft to a cam cleat I installed on each side of the cabin top. I can get better pics if you need them... The second two are from a friends boat that I used as a model. The first pic is mine.

Attachments

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I did it about 5 years ago and it has been a dream traveler since.....I wanted to be able to use it when sailing alone at the wheel so I got enough new line to operate at the wheel....also, I ordered all parts needed from Nicro Fico and harken told me to keep the curved track.....replaced every block that was a part of the set up...replaced all cleats with harkens....I had it done in one afternoon and it continues to now work like a champ...I can send you pictures.....Patrick..

Sep 7, 2009
Patrick,
Please send pictures if you can. We can talk more when I see them.
Thanks

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I know I have taken pictures of the traveler.....will search for them later this afternoon and forward if I find them....I'll let you know w/ a reply if I find them.....Patrick

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I will likely go out and check the boat tomorrow before the next front moves thru....I'll take the camera....I had forgotten to look for the pictures I had already taken about 4 years ago......Patrick

Sep 7, 2009
Hi Patrick,
It's almost spring in Pa. and my quest to replace my pin style traveler has begun again.
Do you remember the part no.s from nicro-fico for your replacement on our curved track system?
Chck

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I ordered a 2 block Nico-Fico traveler car from Rig-Rite for my O'day 35. They have them but they are ridiculously expensive (like $500+)!

I then called Garhauer, and spoke with Guido, to order the ends with the cam locks. Guido told me that I could have ordered the whole track, car, and end pieces with the line for less than I paid Rig-Rite for the car alone. Guido told me that Garhauer will also custom curve the track if you provide them with a tracing of your current track. I justified it by stating that my Nico-Fico track was in good shape, and it didn't leak where it was through bolted to the deck.

If I had it to do over again, I would have just called and ordered a complete traveler through Garhauer.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2009
Your right, Nicro-fico is expensive. If I send my track to Guido , the turnaround time would be 4 weeks or more. What I got from the Nicro-fico website was the distance from the flat to the curve in the center is between 3'' to 3 3/8". I'm going to send these dimensions to Guido and see if he can give me just the car and the end controls. Thanks for your help.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I called Harken about replacing the bent track and they suggested I could easily use the existing curved track....what I needed was cars with blocks, etc. so they fixed me up with the correct cars, etc....I replaced the existing blocks/cleats with
Harken and added new line so I could operate from the wheel....vs. having to go forward......I'm going out there & will take some photos...i.e. if I can't find the photos I've already taken.....Pat

Sep 7, 2009
Sorry I did'nt get back to you sooner. I have been trying to get info from nicro fico about using new pieces on my existing track, but they don't reply to my emails. I like the idea of operating the traveler from the wheel. On a other note , my marina where I live in Pa.(run by the state) opened today so I getting excited to get in the water soon.( after bottom paint and a good hull waxing).
Thanks Talk to you soon Chuck

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Chuck, I may be able to find my Nicro catalog.....I've seen it but wonder where.....If I find it today, I'll let you know, but as I said, I reused the track...just bought a new car from nicro and new blocks for each end...from Harken....Harken makes sweet blocks.....I"m going out there today and will take a picture...Pat