Mac 26 X Door

Dec 14, 2017
Macgregor 26X 1234 Alba Club
Just purchased a 1998 Mac 26X door to head has been replaced with wood. Anyone know where I could locate a factory replacement?
Or exact template to make one.

Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
The only other source I can think of is no longer up and running, macsailorsors.com. There have been several postings on such a mod. Let’s hope they are up and running again.

Todd from BWY is a very helpful fellow. Did you ask him for any ideas?

Oct 15, 2006
MacGregor 26X Central Florida
I have a 1998 26X. With original head door. I would be happy to take pictures and measurements, if you wish.

Dec 14, 2017
Yes please send info. Sorry to reply so late. Holidays have been busy. I just recently purchased this boat so I will have a lot of questions. If you don"t mind answering.

Oct 15, 2006
Yes please send info. Sorry to reply so late. Holidays have been busy. I just recently purchased this boat so I will have a lot of questions. If you don"t mind answering.
I'll be onboard in two days. Are there any measurements/pictures I can post for you? Or just general pics of the door?

Oct 15, 2006
I'll be onboard in two days. Are there any measurements/pictures I can post for you? Or just general pics of the door?
Roger that. I'll get the measurements and get back to you this weekend. As to material, it appears to be an opaque, thick Plexiglas type material. I will examine it more closely and include pictures.

Dec 14, 2017
Another question. When I picked up boat. The original motor had been replaced. The controls had been mounted on the starboard seat next to pedestal. Owner said people passing in that side tended to knock motor out of gear.

Dec 14, 2017
Since controls were removed. I plan to install controls on port side of pedestal. How are control lines ran? If you think it would be better to talk I can send a number.

Oct 15, 2006
Here are the measurements of the original head door in my 1998 26X. Width: 23 5/16 inches; height: 47 1/4-3/8 inches; thickness: 1/2 inch; radius of curved corners: approx. 3 1/2 inches. Here are relevant pictures. 20171230_125808_001.jpg 20171230_125856.jpg 20171230_125823.jpg 20171230_125828.jpg 20171230_125843.jpg 20171230_125919_001.jpg Even though the interior of the door looks like it is wood, it is clearly a polymer veneer, and the front of the door appears to be a Plexiglas looking polymer of some sort, as well. There is a black plastic/vinyl trim that covers the edge of the door all the way around. My door is original; the boat is 19 years old, and there is absolutely no warping. And it has been in the water for at least 65-70% of that time. That confirms for me that there is no wood in the door. Others that have replaced theirs may know differently, but I would be surprised if there is any wood product in the door. The inner locking latch is rarely used, but it latches with the barrel of the latch extending into the hole in the upper door facing. There is some slight expanding of the door in hot weather that makes the outside latch a little hard to close, but it does work.

Oct 15, 2006
Since controls were removed. I plan to install controls on port side of pedestal. How are control lines ran? If you think it would be better to talk I can send a number.
I don't mind talking directly, but I am not a great resource in terms of rigging engine controls. When I bought my "new" Yamaha 50 h.p. HT in 2013, the Yamaha dealer did the install with all new controls. My original Mercury controls were on the starboard side of the pedestal, so I had him run the Yamaha controls to the same place. He had to install them the reverse of the way they were originally designed because they were intended for a port side install on a pontoon or fishing boat. But, he did find a manual in the Yamaha tech library that gave the reverse install steps. We do occasionally have someone knock their knee against the controls, but it is rare. I am pretty certain there is more space on the starboard side of the pedestal than on the port for passage/knee room.

Dec 14, 2017
An auto helm has been installed on the starboard side. The controls are designed to be mounted to starboard side of a boat. I can mount on the port side pedestal. Mainly trying to figure how to run the control lines from pedestal to motor

Oct 15, 2006
An auto helm has been installed on the starboard side. The controls are designed to be mounted to starboard side of a boat. I can mount on the port side pedestal. Mainly trying to figure how to run the control lines from pedestal to motor
I just don't have any experience with that piece of DIY work. Hopefully, someone else on this forum or on MacGregorsailors.com could help you with that. Sorry.

Newell

Apr 28, 2009
2 Macgregors 26X and 26D Lakes in Utah
"An auto helm has been installed on the starboard side. The controls are designed to be mounted to starboard side of a boat. I can mount on the port side pedestal. Mainly trying to figure how to run the control lines from pedestal to motor."

The 98 X should have more room for the install on the port side, since it is the larger pedestal than my 96. However, will you be installing onto the plexiglass cover? I installed on the starboard, since it was directly to FG moulding, not the window. Had to reverse the control so it would work, both sides are equip-distance from the sides I believe.

Dec 14, 2017
Looks like it will be easier to install on port side of pedestal. Window side. The controls are older johnson style does not look reverseable. Mainly would like some pictures on how controls and wiring are ran from pedestal to motor.