High Trust

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
If import taxes aren't levied, it will come out of our income tax.
Just saying:frown:

- Will (Dragonfly)
I did type a reply then thought this is just not boating . . . . I'm new on here and I don't know how the tides rise and fall.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There are a number of variables in prop choice that will make a difference, depending on what you are looking to get out of a propeller.
Working boats, like tugs use large diameter, wide 4 blade props pitched for slower speeds, race boats use narrow 2 blade, pitched for high speed. the amount of cup in the blade makes a difference as well as the rake of the blade. Confining the prop in a hoop tunnel losses less wash off the tips from rotation. This can be simulated by pitching the blades slightly aft at the tips. Trolling motors use props specifically designed for slow speeds and constant thr
- Will (Dragonfly)
Yes to all that but I thought the posting was about small sailboats and outboard auxiliary engines. It has been my experience that each boat and outboard combination will require a prop suited to its displacement, hull shape and Horse Power. The best engine performance and longevity are attained by a prop that will allow it to attain maximum rated RPM while limiting over-reving. Prop induced changes in performance can perhaps be measured in fractions of a knot so I do not consider them significant. I just find it underhanded that they market props under the guise of "Super Thrust" for a small sail boat auxiliary engine. We have now have too many things on our minds besides sailing. There are none finer points of a an auxiliary engine than to get us to and from the dock to sailing waters. I'm sorry, I forget it is off season time when all kind of nonsense comes up for discussion.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I thought the posting was about small sailboats and outboard auxiliary engines.
The OP started the whole discussion with
I have read quite a lot on the pro's and con's of fitting a High Thrust prop to a standard engine.
These threads often include multiple parts and a few very brief tangents often slip in. The people on this forum seem to be very patient and like to rib each, all good naturedly. At least that has been my impression. I hope I'm doing a good job of fitting in.
As far as matching prop, motor, and boat goes, there are varying factors in environment (lake, bay, open ocean, ICW, prevailing winds, currents and waves), desired uses (trailer to rigging dock, marina to channel, mooring to open ocean, even fishing) that dissallow a standard answer, this prop, this motor for this boat. General theory and basic concepts allow a captain to make choices that may be more appropriate than a direct answer could be.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I know a good solution. Two squirrels in a cage with a round wheel for them to run turning a prop. cheap fuel. Squirrel food.