Halyard Shackles

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yea, I'm going to go right out and get me some $500 snap shackles for my halyards (T-series are the trigger-release snap shackles).. BTW, Tylaska makes a thing they call a halyard shackle that's only $100.

I used Ronstan halyard shackles on my C36. Never taped them, never an inadvertent opening. $20.

New boat has Wichard screw-pin halyard shackles. $60. How do these open inadvertently?
Just because it never happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Indeed several people here have reported it. The Wichard is nice. But is also has a mouse hole on the pin. Wonder what that's for? Maybe sizing wire? Hmmm.
The Tylaska shackles simply don't open by themselves. And they can be opened under huge loads. If that's important to you buy them. If its not, don't. $500???? In reality they are about twice the price of regular shackles. Not bad for the extra security.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have never seen, or heard of anyone taping or seizing halyards shackles. I'm sure snap shackles can open inadvertently, due to the "leash" getting hung up, but I don't use those. I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about .0001% probability events.
Just 'cuz you haven't doesn't mean...:):):) Maybe you need to get out more. :)
No, it's not only the leash getting hung up. They "just" open by themselves. I'm sure there's a thorough discussion somewhere on the web about it, but you can do your own homework.
When one "just opened" on me it was securing me to my bosuns chair at the top of my mast!!! Good thing it was years ago on our C25. I scurried down promptly, did some of my own homework back then (early 90s?) and found out what I'd experienced is quite common.

Don't scoff, it's true.

Your boat, your choice.:)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I have never seen, or heard of anyone taping or seizing halyards shackles. ... I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about .0001% probability events.
JViss, you might keep in mind that there are thousands of posts, to how many people on this forum? Any comment will not apply to everyone, so you might back off the naysaying if you don't agree with one and not get defensive. For all the rest of us, we might need that information. I do admire your honesty, though- there's not many people who would admit to how much they don't know. My 2 cents.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
BTW, if they secure a bosun's chair or harness, the are taped!
I can see a harness using a shackle, but thought everyone knew to tie their bosun's chair with a good climbing knot, e.g. double figure of eight.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just a heads up I saw this today. It might be what your looking for.

https://www.westmarine.com/outlet/b...alyard-shackles--P002_060_004_509?recordNum=2

Sorry such a simple question became such an argument. Obviously there are many options but use what you like and don't over think it. After all our boats are trailer sailors and with such a short mast you can either drop it or use a telescoping paint pole to easily retrieve a lost halyard.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I guess we need to wear our big boy pants on this thread!

• Yes, I have had spin shackles come loose over the years. Some failed and some may not have been closed properly (can never be certain after the fact). The seriousness of the consequences obviously varies considerably [clew (not a big deal), spin head (you just ran it over--fun), boson's chair (not ever, don't even joke about it)]. I can't see a valid reason for anything other than the chute. I see them many places where release under load is not needed or desirable.
  • The best answer is going to vary with the size of the boat and the location on the boat. I use many types.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Soft shackle in a spliced eye... cost; about 2 or three feet of Amsteel and a thimble. Won't come loose under load and easy to tape or use a velcro collar if you choose. Disadvantage; can't release under load unless you cut it.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Isn't it a shame this once useful C-22 forum has turned into a forum with so much useless information for C-22 Skippers. How in the world did anyone think several hundred dollar halyard shackles would pertain or be pertinent to a C-22 owner?

Don
Hardly a shame or useless to me...every bit of info I find on this forum enlightens me, pro or con...some may not apply to my humble C22 (or yours), but surely may to my NEXT (bigger) boat.

Every post I read here is part of my sailing learning experience and most appreciated, whether it applies to me today or not.... "once useful C22 forum" implies it no longer is....sorry, I call BS on that comment, far from that! JMHO.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Ok I have delayed commenting for a bit and likely this will do me in here but if that happen so be it:

some may not apply to my humble C22 (or yours), but surely may to my NEXT (bigger) boat.
Your not wrong but I think you missed his point. This is a C22 forum and while that does not mean you need a C22 to post what you do say should be relevant to the C22. There are other places to go for information on other larger boats and more general information can be found in the general forum. When you go to a specific forum you are looking for more specific information. Attacking other forum members who have been here long before and likely have more miles under their boat is never the way to go and adding JMHO does not make it ok. But I'm pretty sure we just said goodbye to a great resource based on the removal of all content. Please think about what you post before posting it. 2 forum members have been ostracized for offering their opinions over shackles! Are we seriously going to loose members over this?

Back on topic of the thread. Yes the snap shackles open sometimes without warning however in my personal experience it happened only with a non static load like a sheet line or spin halyard. In those uses tape them as has been stated. I have never had them open under constant loads of a halyard. However others have had different experiences.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm sure sometimes advice comes across as heavy handed, even when well intended. Maybe there is occasional arrogance, don't we all. I know I have gained much from the advice of more experienced hands, who have had the time to have more go wrong. I didn't always like hearing it, it didn't always apply, and it wasn't always right, but I was wise to hear it out and remember it. I have had both smaller and considerably larger boats, I have raced and cruised, and the range of right answers is thus, huge.

As for a post mentioning using a spinnaker halyard on a boson's chair, that will always draw sharp condemnation, because it is a very dangerous practice that has gotten people killed. The response was harsh, but not wrong. Many forumites are offended when something dangerous is suggested. Is it an over reaction, if it saves a life?

And remember that open forums are like water cooler conversations. You may not like everything you hear, but that is part of joining a larger world. Ignore some people, it's OK! A thread, once started, is uncontrollable. Don't try.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Lakeshark, to your comments...no doubt Capt. Don is one of THE C22 gurus, I respect that and value his advice. But to post "Isn't it a shame this once useful C-22 forum has turned into a forum with so much useless information for C-22 Skippers" is plum wrong IMO, yes in my opinion, JIMHO as well. Clearly not an "attack" as you say, just an opinion, we're entitled to that, no?

To my point, I have learned a ton about such things as bilge pumps, teak finishing, epoxy use, fresh water supplies, standing rigging, running rigging, trailering, anchors, line sizes, battery supply, galley fresh water supply, portapottie/heads, the list goes on and on. Much of it was from C22ers, but plenty was from non-C22ers, owners of larger or smaller sailboats.

I appreciate all sailors chiming in to my inexperienced sometimes stupid questions on the C22 forum, regardless of what they sail. Their obvious motivation is simply to help out, share their own experiences and contribute to our/my lack of knowledge.

I will stand down on this subject, but I HAVE learned a lot about halyard shackles in the process, regardless of who or what size boat they have derived their experience from.

We all come here for knowledge and we leave with plenty, much of it from Capt Don!.....PEACE!

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I must say that I have learned a lot on this forum. I don't care who posts or about what... it is all useful because when I see something that does not make sense or I disagree I go and do research for myself!

So thanks to all for comments and input as it helps me with worldly know how...

Just please... make the comments shorter to read...

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
There are several possible rejoinders:
  • Only in public.
  • I'm pretty old. It's the price of experience.
  • Funny how words change meaning over time. It could mean I've become less pedantic.
  • Fear will do that.
  • But are you oversize?
  • or your sense of humour has failed you?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've had problems with snap shackles and could never be sure if it was user or equipment failure. For certain, older shackles have more problems. Has anyone ever considered a rubber sleeve like a piece of bicycle innertube threaded over the end of the line and folded down over the pin instead of tape that has to be replaced every time?
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Nice to know... however I thought we were NOT ALLOWED to post advertisements in the discussion forums?
Really poor form greg. Who do you think funds this forum? Perhaps this was an oversight on your part. For the record, I have purchased multiple halyards with halyard shackles spliced onto the end by the Sponsor of this forum because I love the work they do and the customer service they provide. I have not once had a problem with a halyard assembly that was provided by this Sponsor! I'll endorse their service all day long. :waycool::waycool: The captive pin thimble shackle is my favorite for mainsail and head sail shackle. But I 've never used the seizing wire. Can't say that I think there is a need for it. The thread seems to lock in place adequately.

Last edited: