Halyard Shackles

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hi All,
I am replacing both halyards now. I am going with the all line halyards and getting rid of the wire. The wire and lines were beginning to show some wear. In fact, my main line broke on me while I was raising the sail. The line was dry-rotted. The all line halyards requires new sheaves, but that is not too much trouble. I like these plug-n-play type improvements!

I was wondering about what shackles are recommended or that you use? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Kevin

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
My favorite are snap shackles as they are easy to open even under load and there are no parts to drop but they are a bit $$. whatever you go with make sure the pin is captured so you cannot lose it even if it goes to the top of the mast open.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I agree with Stu. Our spinnaker halyard has a snap shackle and it has opened on its own twice now, dropping the chute in the drink and leaving the halyard at the top of the mast.

Here is a pic documenting the retrieval.
DSC_0928.JPG

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
too funny, you sent the "little one" up the mast whilst standing below? (cruel) although I do understand the logic, doubt the Admiral could hoist my fat ass up there! Nicely done!!!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Hi All,
I am replacing both halyards now. I am going with the all line halyards and getting rid of the wire. The wire and lines were beginning to show some wear. In fact, my main line broke on me while I was raising the sail. The line was dry-rotted. The all line halyards requires new sheaves, but that is not too much trouble. I like these plug-n-play type improvements!

I was wondering about what shackles are recommended or that you use? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Kevin
Kevin, regarding the sheaves...see Stingy's link on replacing wire w/rope halyards (8mm), but shop for sheaves, CD are undersized and pricey (if that's the size line you're going to)....think my replacement sheaves were 5 bucks or less, can't recall the source, but it was non-marine, but same item...fwiw...

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
In fact she volunteered. Going up there satisfies her sense of adventure, although this time she did get a bit nervous.
To get me up there would take a powered winch or a coffee grinder :)

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
In fact she volunteered. Going up there satisfies her sense of adventure, although this time she did get a bit nervous.
To get me up there would take a powered winch of a coffee grinder :)

Cheers

Matt
that's a GREAT pic, one for your sailing archives I'm sure, the look on her face is priceless!
Good on her adventuresome spirit!!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My LEAST favorite are snap shackles because they can open, BY THEMSELVES, under load.
I have removed them ALL from my boat, a long time ago.
Use a halyard shackle.
Heck, that's why they made them!:)
The ONLY shackle that cannot open inadvertently are the Tylaska T-series shackles. All others, TAPE closed.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Here was my thinking when I went through the same process. Keep the halyard shackle for the main (I actually kept the wire part of the halyard, too, since it was in good shape). I keep the main shackled, so it doesn't matter that the shackle is a bit of a pain to work. (I keep the wire from banging on the mast with a bungee to a shroud.)

OTH, I take my foresail off the rig every time I get done sailing. Therefore, I chose the convenience of a swivel snap shackle for the jib halyard. I figure: 1) The loads on a small boat are relatively low; 2) I bought an over-sized, high-quality shackle; 3) On a trailer sailer, the consequences of a false open are no big deal; 4) I get to find out for myself on a small boat so that if I ever get a bigger boat, then I'll have some experience to inform my decision instead of relying on whoever happened to give their opinion on an internet forum topic that I happen to read. So far, I have not experienced a false open.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. The was UV damage, not dry rot. Polyester won't rot.
b. Soft shackle. Less weight, nothing banging around. Over the years, as shackles have failed, I've gone soft. I over-size them (easier to handle with cold hands) and I have never had one fail. And they only cost $2-4; splice-up a few while watching a movie.

I stay with metal shackles where they fit better.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Kevin, regarding the sheaves...see Stingy's link on replacing wire w/rope halyards (8mm), but shop for sheaves, CD are undersized and pricey (if that's the size line you're going to)....think my replacement sheaves were 5 bucks or less, can't recall the source, but it was non-marine, but same item...fwiw...
I saw what Stingy did, but I don't have that skill set. Bummer!
a. The was UV damage, not dry rot. Polyester won't rot.
b. Soft shackle. Less weight, nothing banging around. Over the years, as shackles have failed, I've gone soft. I over-size them (easier to handle with cold hands) and I have never had one fail. And they only cost $2-4; splice-up a few while watching a movie.

I stay with metal shackles where they fit better.

Interesting. I did not know what a soft shackle was and watched this video:
http://www.animatedknots.com/softshackleedwards/

Pretty cool! Thanks for the suggestion.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town

Nice to know... however I thought we were NOT ALLOWED to post advertisements in the discussion forums?

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
I dropped my wire-to-rope shackles for all the usual reasons. About five feet of 550 cord now lashes the two eyes together with no clanging, banging or hanging. A Wichard elongated "d" with captive pin suits for the wire to headboard.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Now that's not something I would admit in public! :laugh:
There are several possible rejoinders:
  • Only in public.
  • I'm pretty old. It's the price of experience.
  • Funny how words change meaning over time. It could mean I've become less pedantic.
  • Fear will do that.
  • But are you oversize?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I agree with Stu. Our spinnaker halyard has a snap shackle and it has opened on its own twice now, dropping the chute in the drink and leaving the halyard at the top of the mast.

Here is a pic documenting the retrieval.
View attachment 144621
Isn't it great to have kids to do this for you. LOL Here is my son Tristan helping to replace masthead light, and halyards.

2015-07-03 18.24.33.jpg 2015-07-03 18.24.26.jpg

Using a Wichard shackle for my main,
shackle.jpg
and a Halyard Hitch on my furler car.

Last edited: