310 Shopping

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
Hi all, I have recently started shopping for a 310 and inspected my first one today.

I have been lurking here for awhile and read the threads of new owners (Lisa) and advice given, and went back to when Jesse was new in their 310 to see what he went through.

This boat was in very nice shape, though I would have preferred the M25XPB to be a little more pristine (that's just me though - I'm a nut for clean engine compartments).

I inspected the thru-hulls I could get to, the chainplates, the bilge, under all the cabin seats and lazerettes (though cluttered), and the compartment behind the rear berth, where the water heater and rudder stock are. Those were the obvious things to me. Based on your experiences, can you recommend any others things I should be looking at?

Will get a survey when I get to that point (likely for the hull and engine), but I want to do my homework to avoid wasting money.

One immediate question is regarding LOA. My local marina is pretty fanatical about the length of the boat it will allow in a slip, so in a 30' slip you get 32' 11". Catalina's spec for LOA is 31' 0" according to the brochure and Sailboatdata. However when I measured today, I got a measurement of between 32-33' from the bow pulpit rail to the swim platform. Anyone have reliable data on this?

Sorry if I'm repeating covered ground, and thanks in advance,

Richard

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Our 310 comes in at 33.5 feet take the anchor and roller off then its 32 feet. BTW I'm in a 30 foot slip with 4 feet over hang into the channel so far they don't care and charge me for a 31 foot boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Leo. You got to remember your in Canada . Richard (the self defined lurker, no offense meant) is in the nation of Southern California. It is a wonderful place where the art of space rental has been honed to extraordinary levels.

Richard store the anchor on the foredeck and call it 32 feet. You’ll thank yourself every month when the rent bill arrives.

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
Leo. You got to remember your in Canada . Richard (the self defined lurker, no offense meant) is in the nation of Southern California. It is a wonderful place where the art of space rental has been honed to extraordinary levels.

Richard store the anchor on the foredeck and call it 32 feet. You’ll thank yourself every month when the rent bill arrives.
Actually, the bow pulpit is 2" forward of the anchor, so moving the anchor isn't going to help. It looks stock, and it's 22" of horizontal distance from the bow rub-rail to the pulpit.

Oct 22, 2014
Leo I accepted The Counts invite. I may need to alter/fudge the manufacture’s name, unless I get a waiver.
It sure was fun last year.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Good luck on the procedures going into your new purchase, It does sound like you have a good handle on things.
My only questions would be age of Batteries? and Electronics-do they all work, along with heating/air conditioning!
Good luck, Keep us updated.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Richard,
My experience is that if the boat is at or near 15 years old (mine was 14) then you will eventually have to replace all the "disposable" items. The list in my case (5 yrs of ownership) reads like this:
Water pump
Shower sump pump
Macerator pump (twice)
Bilge pump (twice)
Engine water pump
Head plunger pump
Battery charger
Batteries
AC/Heat unit
Refrigerator (condenser & evaporator)
Bimini & dodger canvas
Autopilot
This list is long but the bright side is that all these systems are new again once you replace them and should be good for another 15 years... Don't forget to check the condition of the sails and also the anchor, chain & rode. As is true of most everything, your results may vary.
bob

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
If you are thinking of Dana, 310's and even 320's are allowed in 30' slips.
I am, although I'm several years away, so it's good to hear that. I asked at the office if they had any 310s they measured, but they weren't helpful. I should just try walking the docks, but it looks like you're already there in a 310.

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
Alan and GA, thanks for the replies, It's helpful.

The bottom is new last month, all canvas last year (looks great, eisenglass is crystal clear) and electronics in 2013. This is CA, so no heat or AC. I have submitted questions to the owner regarding age of the standing rigging, furler, batteries and engine maintenance records. We'll see what kind of answers I get.

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
Anyone have to add a microwave? It looks like you just remove an upper cabinet door, but then there's the wiring to consider...

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Bob, Started laughing with your response as when We went over your list we realized we have replaced the Following: Headsail, Head plunger, Macerator (Once), Bilge Pump (Twice), Engine water pump-(Upgraded to Oberdorfer), Fresh water pump, Bimini Canvas-Added a dodger this year along with the canvas, and batteries, battery charger maybe this year, New Anchor- went with a Manson Supreme and added more chain along with new anchor rode. new stereo and replaced the outside speakers along with some running rigging, not adding the flares etc. We intend to sail her for a long time but she is 16 years old!
we have owned her for 5 years coming this sailing season!
Our boat came with a microwave-Not Replaced-yet!

Oct 22, 2014
OC if you are thinking this is serious then have the rigging inspected by a qualified rigger. Or, as I did, plan on replacing all rigging so you know where you are starting. Especially since you likely will be sailing in the ocean. Not a place to be sailing with questions about your rigging.
You can DIY rigging if you know what your doing. If not encourage you to seek professional help. Remember even a 30ft boat has a mast that can weigh 400 lbs. coming down it can ruin your day.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We intend to sail her for a long time but she is 16 years old!
we have owned her for 5 years coming this sailing season!
I bought our boat when it was 12 years old. She was in pistine condition, and literally 1/2 the price of a new one back then. We've had her for 20 years. Same plans...:)

That said, making a list of things you replace is simply part of the maintenance of owning a previously owned boat for a long time. Wait until you get into the fun of replacing the exhaust riser! :)

Happy hunting.

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Since Lisa's posts where brought up, (BTW that's me, Mike, a bit confusing but...)

We purchased our boat with no survey. Some things we have done already that we were planning to do.

Replaced all cabin lights with LED. Replaced the head, the original head was on its second joker valve and the gasket at the base was leaking. Main sail needed the sun protector on the clew replaced, bargained in the purchase price and previous owners paid. Head sail is getting cleaned, thats all that was needed. Upgraded the battery charger, and add a volt meter. Changed the coolant in the engine (wished I wouldn't have, but glad its done)

The Dodger the previous owner replaced the glass herself, not very professional. While we were hoping to get this altered and repaired, we were told by two canvas guys that its not worth fixing. So new dodger, and while the bimini only needs minor repairs, it wont match. So all new canvas is on order.

While doing my self survey I noticed the swim ladder mounting bolts were leaking on top of the fuel tank. when I removed the brackets I found that there were two sets of holes for each bracket. Someone screwed up when mounting the platform. The set that wasn't being used was just to the side of the bracket. Poorly sealed and that is what was leaking. I cleaned everything up, sealed the unused holes and rebedded the brackets.

So far I have had no big surprises. And will say it is by far the easiest boat I have owned to work on. The winter cover kinda sucked, but it sure was nice today working on the boat today while it was snowing.

Ours came with a microwave, and while we thought it was kinda a waste of space when we first looked at the boat, we have already used it more than the stove. Its a keeper.

Mike