Transom repair

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That's what they're doing. How about child safety mesh on the life lines? Maybe play the sounds of a predator, if they actually have a predator. Butter on the toe rail?
- Will ("shotgun approach", Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Point Roberts
While not quite as bad as yours, the Stargazer had some dock rash as well when we got her. The port stern corner of the deck/hull joint had a sizable chunk broken off of it.
View attachment 144268

I was able to fill the gaps in with white Marinetex, and sand it all flush.It still has some minor imperfections, but I will fill those in the next time I break out the Marinetex.

View attachment 144271

Pay no attention to the large Iquana, and thumb in the top right of the picture LOL

Can you get matching molding/rub rail to the pieces that are missing/dammaged on her?
I already have the shore power cord suspended in the air via a bungee and saddle from the stern dock piling.

View attachment 144316

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Point Roberts
Chip, can I ask you what you mix the Marinetex with...or just used it directly from the tube (can)? I have some repair to be done on my Hunter 376, several hairline cracks, just above the water line.
Cheers, Gabor

While not quite as bad as yours, the Stargazer had some dock rash as well when we got her. The port stern corner of the deck/hull joint had a sizable chunk broken off of it.
View attachment 144268

I was able to fill the gaps in with white Marinetex, and sand it all flush.It still has some minor imperfections, but I will fill those in the next time I break out the Marinetex.

View attachment 144271

Pay no attention to the large Iquana, and thumb in the top right of the picture LOL

Can you get matching molding/rub rail to the pieces that are missing/dammaged on her?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@pateco Chip you are not going to like this but it is a sure fire way to deal with the Iguana issue..
Move up here to the Pacific NW. No Iguana's on the dock.. It is a sure fire cure.:kick:

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Chip, can I ask you what you mix the Marinetex with...or just used it directly from the tube (can)? I have some repair to be done on my Hunter 376, several hairline cracks, just above the water line.
Cheers, Gabor
I just used it straight. The white is a really close match to the gel-coat color but not perfect.

Marinetex.jpg

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
@kbgunn , that's a $5 to $8K repair depending on who you ask and what part the country the yard is in (I know you are in TX). It isn't just the fiberglass work, it's also finishing (fairing, plus gelcoat or paint). Its totally not worth it for an early 80's Catalina 30 if you are paying someone else to do it. Even if you assume just $7K being the total cost of purchase plus repair, there are far better boats in the 30 foot range that can be had for that price including newer year Catalina 30's.
Now, I never shy away from work and you can be sure I would over engineer the crap out of it.... But, I would only consider taking on that project if very specific criteria are met;
1. You'd have to get that boat dirt cheap... really cheap. If the owner wants to haggle, walk away.
2. I would need my own property large enough to move the boat to where the work will be done, my own tractor or other heavy equipment, and/or a VERY reasonable priced boat hauling service (which I don't think is possible).
OR
If there is a very affordable DIY yard in the area (the rent has to be cheaper than keeping her in a slip).
3. I gotta have the time to do it. I've already been through Grad school while trying to restore an old Catalina so I don't want to experience that again.

The work is doable... It just takes a keen eye to get the fairing right, especially at the sheer where the rub rail attaches. Keep in mind you might have to paint the entire hull, but I've become more inclined to use Gelcoat than paint. I thinks its better to Gelocat the repair area and do a wet-sand/cut/buff restoration on the rest of the hull.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I looked at the listing for this boat on YachtWorld - $12,900. The ad mentions damage, but not forthcoming on the details. Otherwise, the condition is about what you would expect from a 34 year old boat. I can’t see that there’s any bargain at that price.

Oct 22, 2014
I can’t see that there’s any bargain at that price.
That is a solid observation. With age and damage you are going to have some serious repair work = Big Boat Bucks.

Read the great link regarding a Hunter 40 repair/refit from Mark
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...nter-40-damage-from-hurricane-matthew.182553/

Now if you do not care and think this is your boat to take you on day sailing adventures, just go for it.

We all have dreams and imaginations. Some of us spend too much money on lost causes because we can and or want to.

Read the book "Tranquility: A Memior of an American Sailor". Now there is a guy who took this idea to the extreme. It is magical he survived to write the book.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Iguanas also drill holes in and around seawalls causing them to fold under and fall over. They climb trees and eat birds eggs. They also eat cocoons of butterfly. There is not a bird left in my hood. It is legal to kill them. As long as you do not shoot them with powder and shoot in direction of neighbors houses. You have to shoot down at them in the grass to avoid ricochet. A bow and arrow is good or a pell gun used with care. I understand they are edible and make good fish bait.

I have watched them jump off dock and catch a fish in their teeth. Vegetarians my foot.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
@kbgunn ,
that's a $5 to $8K repair depending on who you ask and what part the country the yard is in (I know you are in TX). It isn't just the fiberglass work, it's also finishing (fairing, plus gelcoat or paint). Its totally not worth it for an early 80's Catalina 30 if you are paying someone else to do it. Even if you assume just $7K being the total cost of purchase plus repair, there are far better boats in the 30 foot range that can be had for that price including newer year Catalina 30's.
Now, I never shy away from work and you can be sure I would over engineer the crap out of it.... But, I would only consider taking on that project if very specific criteria are met;
1. You'd have to get that boat dirt cheap... really cheap. If the owner wants to haggle, walk away.
2. I would need my own property large enough to move the boat to where the work will be done, my own tractor or other heavy equipment, and/or a VERY reasonable priced boat hauling service (which I don't think is possible).
OR
If there is a very affordable DIY yard in the area (the rent has to be cheaper than keeping her in a slip).
3. I gotta have the time to do it. I've already been through Grad school while trying to restore an old Catalina so I don't want to experience that again.

The work is doable... It just takes a keen eye to get the fairing right, especially at the sheer where the rub rail attaches. Keep in mind you might have to paint the entire hull, but I've become more inclined to use Gelcoat than paint. I thinks its better to Gelocat the repair area and do a wet-sand/cut/buff restoration on the rest of the hull.
Thanks for the input. I've seen your posts on repairs and you do top notch work! Especially considering you're working on refurb while in school. When I was working on my MBA, it was all I could do to keep up with work, a wife, two young girls and still find time to learn statistics and double entry accounting. My hat is off to you.

I completely agree with your points above.
1. Definitely would not pay the asking price of $12.9K. Looking online, asking prices are $18-20K for a similar year with only cosmetic work needed. For this boat, major repairs are needed: the stern fiberglass work at $7K; more fiberglass work at the waterline for dock rash (let's call it $5K); the AC cooling pump didn't work and there is a refrigerant leak (it didn't cool when the compressor turned on); the Universal has an oil leak somewhere; the genoa has a rip in the leech and the sacrificial cover needs stitching; the main is old, blown out and dirty; the shrouds and stays chainplates are leaky and need rebedding; electrical needs work and no battery charger on board; all running rigging needs to be replaced (ex. the cover on the main halyard parted exposing the core in a 10 ft section); the port traveller mounting screws are loose allow water into the mounting block so it's rotting; the list is long. You tally it up an the owner should pay me to take it off their hands. Ha!
2. I have neither the land nor an affordable DIY yard in my area. *sigh*
3. I do have some time.

My main motivations are:
1. I want to sail. I would want to get the backstay sound to be confident out on the lake if the wind pipes up. Until I could complete the stern repair to deck and hull, I would probably move the chainplate inboard on the coaming or back to the stern hull face like so:

I've seen the chain plate mounted on the stern for other boats. I would think the biggest concern would be adequate reinforcement with a beefy backing plate to spread the load. See:

Maybe this is bad logic.....I'm not a naval engineer.
2. I like the project aspect. I'm not looking for a pristine boat. I work behind a computer all day and manage people. I don't always see tangible results day to day. Working with my hands and seeing the results of my effort in this way is very satisfying.
3. I'm not a competitive sailor looking for performance. I like the Cat 30 because there's lots of room for friends and family to come along. I like the tall rig because winds are variable in my area and often light in the 10 knts or less range so the extra sail area is a plus.

At the end of the day, I doubt the owner will come down to $4-5K (which is realistic with market avg of $20K minus the major/must-do repairs???). So the point is probably moot. I just wanted some second and third and fourth opinions on my rationale before going in with an offer that the owner will think is down-in-the-basement, low-ball. I'll include my assessment and hope for the best.

Thanks again for the feedback. It's much appreciated.
KBG

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
I looked at the listing for this boat on YachtWorld - $12,900. The ad mentions damage, but not forthcoming on the details. Otherwise, the condition is about what you would expect from a 34 year old boat. I can’t see that there’s any bargain at that price.
Agreed. Not a bargain at all. In my reply to CloudDiver I mention that I like the tall rig. How does yours perform compared to the standard rig? I'm interested in any light you might shed...

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
That is a solid observation. With age and damage you are going to have some serious repair work = Big Boat Bucks.

Read the great link regarding a Hunter 40 repair/refit from Mark
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...nter-40-damage-from-hurricane-matthew.182553/

Now if you do not care and think this is your boat to take you on day sailing adventures, just go for it.

We all have dreams and imaginations. Some of us spend too much money on lost causes because we can and or want to.

Read the book "Tranquility: A Memior of an American Sailor". Now there is a guy who took this idea to the extreme. It is magical he survived to write the book.
I like your perspective jssailem! We're all just trying to live the dream. Walmart has conditioned folks to focus on the rock bottom prices. Money is a means to an end. Quality of life should a priority after the electric bill is paid and food is in the fridge. Eyes wide open though. A lost cause can turn into a liability (and a costly one) in the blink of an eye.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Agreed. Not a bargain at all. In my reply to CloudDiver I mention that I like the tall rig. How does yours perform compared to the standard rig? I'm interested in any light you might shed...
First, I really like the C30, and I recommend it. My own preference though, would be for a boat that’s at least sailable as is.
I don’t have a fair comparison to a standard rig, but you know how it is, always comparing to other boats on the water. I usually pull away.
I have no problem getting to hull speed in moderate winds. Need to reef over 15 knots.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
I was able to swing by today for a few closer pictures. This was a very hasty patch job. Pictures of the stern and rub rail damage:

Pictures of dock rash:

In the last one you can see the decal is covering the damage for aesthetics....
To me it looks like surface damage. I am by no means an expert so I was hoping for a confirmation the damage is something that needs to be addressed but isn't something that would be more than a surface patch and fairing. Is water infiltration/blistering more likely at these spots, etc. Thanks to all.
KBG
Lost Cause Club President

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
For me, that "repair" job would be a deal breaker.
I'd look elsewhere.

Oct 22, 2014
KBG. THERE ARE OTHER BOATS.
Was I shouting? Sorry. Just the reaction I had to the images.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
For me, that "repair" job would be a deal breaker.
I'd look elsewhere.
Can't rebut your statement. Looks like you were a submariner, at least your displaying the dolphins. Thanks for your service. I served on USS Atlanta, SSN712 as an electrician.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
KBG. THERE ARE OTHER BOATS.
Was I shouting? Sorry. Just the reaction I had to the images.
Ha! Yeah, I'm getting cold feet after looking closer. I like a project, but I think this is out of my league.

Oct 22, 2014
That is out of 99% of all DIY sailors not owning a marine repair yard and needs winter work to keep staff.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
For a budget of 4-5k you can find plenty of 22-25' boats.

My point being that looks terrible and that boat has not been loved or cared for by its owner ever, the repair is proof enough.

Last edited: