Old Genoa - Bin it or recycle it?

Apr 8, 2016
Beneteau 361 Clipper Garrucha, Spain
Hi friends,
When I bought my B361 it came with an old 134% genoa. I just inspected it and found the bulk of the sail and luff tape of the 8oz Dacron is in super condition, it looks like it became the spare due to damage to the U/V strip & leech caused by the shroud bottle screws. Im taking delivery of a brand new sail suite next week so will have another spare! Rather than bin the sail I considered recycling it by having a sailmaker cutting it down to a " Heavy Weather " sail and hoped for some suggestions in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Rather than bin the sail I considered recycling it by having a sailmaker cutting it down to a " Heavy Weather " sail
If you need a heavy weather sail, that sounds like a great idea. Your sail maker will know best about that option, of course. You could also just keep it as the spare it has been. Maybe, just replace the UV strip.
Stitching is all good, no crackling, cloth has stiffness without being brittle?
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
As you probably know, typical irreparable sail damage is stretching due to excess use - 'blown out'. If this was taken out of the rotation due to leech damage, and it's not blown out, then why not keep it as another club in your bag. Are you racing or cruising, and what are your other sails? Personally, I've found that I'd like a non-overlapping sail, rather than a true storm sail, for my boat. Something like a 90% jib would give me a more comfortable ride in gales (34 kt +) rather than a rolled genoa.

Apr 8, 2016
As I will have another " spare " due to my impending delivery, I really like the idea of cutting it down, but I guess they will ask " to what size " and rather than ask their advice of what would be a good size to have as a " smaller " Genoa I prefer the advice of you guys! It would be for use in the Med, cruising only, I have a new 134%, and a 150%.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Heavy weather sails are smaller, but are usually heavier sail cloth, to withstand stronger winds. Making a small "heavy weather sail" using light weather sail cloth, older and worn sailcloth at that, is an idea with certain internal inconsistancies. A smaller working jib, for sure. The storm jib my boat came with is about a 90%, but dramatically heavier than the 135. My usual storm tactic is to stay home and watch it on TV, so take this for what it is worth.
Lou

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My usual storm tactic is to stay home and watch it on TV, so take this for what it is worth.
You know, that's my tactic too but, sometimes my timing isn't good enough for that to work every time.
Excellent point about the sail weight. If it does get used for a storm jib it needs to stand up to the storm.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Recut for cockpit shade while at anchor? Use a corner piece for an anchor-riding sail? Cover to provide shade for the next summer picnic? Since "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" (as the saying goes) you could cover anything to keep it drier.

Apr 8, 2016
Heavy weather sails are smaller, but are usually heavier sail cloth, to withstand stronger winds.
Yes, I get that. I didn't want to use the term " storm jib " because its not my intension to sail in a storm, and unlikely, coastal hopping in the Med. However, knowing that winds could possibly get up on passage a smaller head sail may be preferable to a reefed 134%? Although its not the perfect weight for the job its kind of better than consigning it to the scrap heap.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If you decide to toss your sails check out seabags.com. My wife donated our old torn jib in exchange for a free bag.
I did exactly that with my old main and jib. They made me a tote out of the sails, sewed the sail logo onto it and added my GF's name in semaphore in exchange for the sails. Made a great gift that she uses every time we go sailing.