Sail trim quiz question

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
... questioning each other's credentials, ideas, and experience. Please mods, shut this thing down.
Nobody is questioning anyone's credentials. We are just getting to know each other.
Now, back to the analysis.
What part of the forward driving force does the main contribute to the overall driving force and how much is straight heeling force?
- Will ("just the facts, sir", Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I knew this thread was headed for an ugly end. If anyone wants to match credentials, I'm happy to do so. However, I backed away from this thread as I knew it would degenerate to guys questioning each other's credentials, ideas, and experience. Please mods, shut this thing down.
Hey, who are you? Ask them to shut down one of your own threads. We're having fun here.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I just like anything to do with sailing, not here to learn plumbing or debate if we should crap in buckets, bowls or over guunals. Please dont kill this thread.

View counts support that as well.

Apr 16, 2017
If you thought the upwind test was an abomination of scince youll love the broad reach one. I should inform you though that on my rc boat the jib and main can only go out so much. I know the sails ahould go out more. It more or less stalled.

Second on a rc boat tbe headsail has a boom. This boom swings in an cone shaped arc not a flat "sector".

The redirction of air 90 degrees is cool. I think there is a huge circulation between the mast and head sail that dominates. I like how the incoming air is redirected, and lastly, the looks to be a pileup of air at leading edges if both sails.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ah, I see the problem now. Your sailmaker cut your sails too flat. There's no camber at all. :frown:
No wonder you need so much wind.
Love the wand. That is so cool, SO COOL! :plus:
If I get the time next summer, I'm tinseling my mariner up.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 16, 2017
May i suggest your crew wander the foredeck with a telltale wand? Yeahhhh.

The sails were drawn up on sailcut and they are broad seamed. I noticed on the upwind test that there was too much camber so i got a hole punch and made a new clew. The headsail was originally shaped to have a full profile from luff to leech. Based on this thread im using the headsail for the first 25-30% of profile. That means the tack and clew were pulled tighter. There is still shape. It doesnot lay flat on a table.

I placed tinsel on rigging and one trip on the trailer messed it up. They all braided themselves together while going 60mph down highway. Then i was mortified to see some strands break off and fall in the water. Im open for ideas for removable spreader tinsel. It was fantastic for the calm days.

Apr 16, 2017
No wonder you need so much wind.
That is by design.
This was a low budget entry level "paradise" brand model. I was in Kansas and into rc airplanes, it was always too windy and got tired of either crashing them or waiting fir calm days. Its really only calm in kansas city for about half an hour at sunset. If you dont get off water fast you end up paddling home or in my case watching a reflection of a sailboat ghost back to me.

Rc sailing was a perfect replacement. The model i got had terrible sails, and i was always putting on my homemade "reef" sails.

I eventully cut 8 inches off the mast, built a new heavier keel, and settled on a set if sails for the 15-20 mph lake.

That video upwind? That was closer to real world than you think.

My rc boat is more "bluewater" than my 17 footer.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is there a significant advantage to having the second sail other than to balance the helm?
In addition to the way the jib “heads” the main, the main tends to bend the wind coming into the boat into an “upwash” which lifts the jib a bit. In that sense you should be able to point higher with both sails than just the jib.

Question for experienced...see the airfow coming off the headsail? Has it ever made sense to play the headsail rather than the main to keep heeling under control. If power comes from jib then so does rounding up. If the headsail is let out the airflow should be vectored out as well, countering the forward drive and wasting airflow to lee. That would also reduce the airflow on main weakening it.
While easing the jib would reduce healing moment, it wouldn’t help reduce rounding moment. The problem is that the center of effort (COE) of the main is behind the center of lateral resistance (CLR) (roughly the keel). Therefore the tendency to round up is driven by the amount of force on the main. If anything the jib helps hold the bow down because its COE is in front of the CLR.

Caveat - on a broad reach when the sails are eased further from the centerline the forward pull of the jib could provide some rounding moment, since its COE is far to leeward, pulling the leeward side of the boat forward. But that doesn’t really apply going upwind with sails close to centerline.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
What part of the forward driving force does the main contribute to the overall driving force and how much is straight heeling force?
- Will ("just the facts, sir", Dragonfly)
The upwash from the main that lifts the jib increases the forward driving force of the genoa. How much? It depends.
The mainsail shape affects heeling vs. forward drive, too. How much? It depends.

This may be of particular interest to you, Will. I bought a new mainsail for my Mariner, and when I installed it I also switched the mainsheet from the fixed point on the swing keel housing to a bridle pseudo-traveler (This is a super easy modification.). The vang takes over as the boom-height controller. The magnitude of the result startled me: less heeling + more speed = lots more sailing pleasure. Since I changed two things at once, I can't say which ha more effect. But I ain't changin' back to find out.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thanks jwing, for your response.
I also switched the mainsheet from the fixed point on the swing keel housing to a bridle pseudo-traveler (This is a super easy modification.). The vang takes over as the boom-height controller.
Did you post this on the mariner web site? I would love to see a picture of it.
My boat is still setup with the original sheet configuration. I don't have a vang but I am planning to make one.
-Will (Dragonfly)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I didn't make any photographs, but I plan to next spring. I will post them to usmariner.org
This diagram is a good illustration of what I did, except instead of two #2148 blocks at the end of the boom, I used one block with a becket:

For a discussion on how long the bridle should be, see http://www.wayfarer-international.o...iggingTips/UncleAl/Bridle/bridle_length2.html
Some may know this straight off, but for the rest:

Why is this bridle better than attaching the mainsheet directly to the deck??

Apr 16, 2017
I asked myself that same question an stared at this like it was an invisible picture.

It seems like a pain to have all that clutter in the cockpit & and the rudder.

The key is that yellow line under tension. Thats an awesome technical drawing. Instead of the mainsheet pulling the boom down to center cockpit floor, it is pulling the boom to a point off center towards the starboard stern. This is closer to the angle the boom is supposed to be moving versus beong pulled up and down.

I kinda like the rs boat that has the bar reaching up to boom. Does the same thing but in a different way.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Some may know this straight off, but for the rest:

Are you asking or fostering additional comments?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The key is that yellow line under tension. Thats an awesome technical drawing. Instead of the mainsheet pulling the boom down to center cockpit floor, it is pulling the boom to a point off center towards the starboard stern.
I'm going to say not exactly. The results of that particular type of traveler would be exactly the same if you pinned a block to the point where the yellow line crosses over the tiller. In part, that system is designed to make room for the tiller, allowing the sheet to pull from the back of the boom where it has the most leverage rather than from mid boom where it needs more mechanical help from heavy blocks. Because it is limited in its travelling and the angle is more acute, when the sail is out on a broad reach, the boom rises a little more and bellies, that's why jwing added a vang. It can't pull the boom to center because the yellow line is too long. However, you can take up the traveler cord by putting both ends on cam cleats for that close haul. That would allow you to get the boom to midship and point higher.
My opti had a string traveler with the sheet on a pulley. I use to contemplate for hours about why that was a better system than one that was pinned like jwings. The answer was in the lack of vang.
- Will (Dragonfly)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
It can't pull the boom to center because the yellow line is too long.
That may be the case for the diagram I copied, but it is not necessarily the case for all bridle arrangements.

However, you can take up the traveler cord by putting both ends on cam cleats for that close haul.
Adjusting the bridal like that will pull the boom down, thereby defeating the purpose. But it is true that the system illustrated in the diagram cannot bring the boom windward of the block that is tied to the bridle.