winter cover

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Our boat came with a winter cover and was kinda excited about that. Put it on this morning and I can same I’m not near as excited as I was. What a project. Still not sure I got the puzzle figured out on the stern.

I don’t think I’ll do that again.

Anyone want a 3 piece winter cover?

Mike

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Mike - There are multiple types of covers for the C310. For example, I currently have a one-piece, mast-down cover that requires a frame be constructed. I am in the process of purchasing a multi-piece mast-up cover that attaches to the boom. You may want to provide some more details on your type of cover if you are serious about selling. :)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
As stated, it will go up easier next time. Last fall my wife bought me a custom 3pc cover for our O'day 25. The maker installed it. I took it down in the spring after I took a lot of photos.
I put it on for the winter last week. Only took 1 1/2 hours.
One trick when I took it down was to leave the lines where I found them or re tied them to where I found them. That really helped in putting it back on.

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
My three piece cover
IMG_20151030_181248697_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151030_162118981.jpg
goes on in a couple of hours, comes off in one. I love it.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
My guess is the benefits of covering during the off season far outweigh the hassle of installing one.
That looks like a nice fit. Do you find any marks on the hull from the cover flapping in the wind all winter? That is one of my concerns.

Mike

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
cover.jpg
here is my 2 piece cover. Fairly easy to install, typically an hour or so with 2 people, but does not cover the transom.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I posed this under a different thread, but if you want to see a cover that is a pain (3+ hours) to put on every year and requires the mast to come down, here is mine...

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Curt .......... that cover looks like one of the best I've seen around. I have the mast off every year anyway. Like to check it out. It seems to be a one piece cover. The one I'm having made is in 3 sections with a door at the transom.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Are you a first time boat owner? Veterans expect to spend at least 20 hours of work for each hour of pleasant sailing. ;)
And don’t even think about calculating the cost per hour.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hey Doug ....... that looks like quite a nice cover. Two Toned !!! Quality looks great and the design well done. Are there sand bags attached to the vertical ropes?
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
Lisa / Mike

If you are interested in selling cover I would gladly purchase. I'm down the road from you in Edwards Boat Yard. Let me know and look forward to seeing you in the spring.

Mike

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Lisa / Mike

If you are interested in selling cover I would gladly purchase. I'm down the road from you in Edwards Boat Yard. Let me know and look forward to seeing you in the spring.

Mike
Sounds good. Not sure when we'll be down again, but I'll let you know and you can come check it out before we pull it off.

Mike

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Hey Doug ....... that looks like quite a nice cover. Two Toned !!! Quality looks great and the design well done. Are there sand bags attached to the vertical ropes?
Cheers
2 Old Pirates
Nope......just tied off onto the cradle. Shipshape in Duluth, Mi.

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
My Catalina 36 came with a “southern two piece” cover, meaning just long enough to be 2-3 inches above toe rail. I assume for ventilation. Boating on the upper Mississippi River (straight East of Rochester, MN) where boats are on the hard for six months, I like protecting gel coat from ice, minimizing UV exposure on hull, I had Ship Shape from Duluth extend the top covers to go one foot below toe rail, build a two piece skirt that covers the water line and a walk out transom cover. Takes 4-5 hours to go on, it gets easier every year. Takes patience, following Ship Shape’s instructions and a sturdy ladder. IMHO, worth it to protect the investment. Ship Shape was very accommodating and knowledgeable. Have a nice web sight with install video.

Attachments