The Circle

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
When I'm half-way between A and B and the fog is so thick I can't see the bow of the boat I love my radar and chart plotter and anything else that helps. On nice days, even some not so nice, my head is out of the boat on "auto-swivel" to take in the sights I went sailing for in the first place. Can't imagine any other way to do it!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I found the book, and now the movie (that just showed up on Amazon) The Circle as disturbing as 1984, or the Net, or Black Mirror...
The connections you draw between the over-use of enhancements through technology for experiencing the world, the possibly excessive use of social media, stories like 1984 and the message about the dangers of losing our privacy from The Circle, opens a pretty wide set of views up for discussion. :twisted: I have neither seen the movie nor read the book. I read a synopsis and watched a trailer. What is happening in the world and happens in The Circle is a voluntary surrendering of privacy. The issue turns out to be about a consequential surrendering of freedom. A sort of bait and switch of our values. There are those who don't see privacy and freedom as the same thing. The captivating experience of social media, unambiguous positive feedback from the group, any group, can seduce many people into emersing themselves in this technology.:stupid:
This is not like staring at your satnav screen or your radar. They may be related in the brain but, now we are adding a social element that straight electronic technology doesn't have. All these people are practically given a node to live on, in some cases they aren't even asked. The Internet was formally Darpa net, sponsored by the Department of Defence for the exchange of science research information:wink3:. In less than 5 years after it was openned to the public, originally like a kind of wired ham radio network, no commercial ventures allowed, it was mandated that schools and libraries offer access. It had been a race faster than any maxi, AC, speedboat,or rocket race. After the landing on the moon, the race for Space has been more like a foot drag:oops: but, getting everyone connected electronically is the :plus: priority for nearly everyone, but especially for the governments of the world. We are truly in danger of losing our ability to go sailing by losing our Will to go sailing. Sailing is independent. It can be done on a DIY plan. Marketers and info mongers might lose track of a sailboat. With cell phones and Go Pros and satellite imagery your movements can be known but how do you influence a sailor at sea?:p It seems to be desirable to restrict people's movement, keep them from moving from one country to another. We neither want outsiders coming here (I'm not talking about the US specifically, everyone) nor do we want members of our own groups to "defect" to somewhere else. Yet individually, we want that freedom. Sailors tend to be more individual. Independence is important to us:ass:. While others may drink the cool aid or take the blue pill. Sailors are more likely to walk, sail, away from the expectation that they have to make the choice:dancing:. Society is losing patience with that independence:cuss:. Freedom has not given people the happiness they thought it would. The alternative is to offer a place in a predefined group and scramble for control of that group in place of freedom. The group mind is maturing and we are seeing the consequences to the individual of that maturation.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. Unless you have a good knowledge of sailing skills and can get the %$ll away.
:hook2:
- Will ("conspiracy theorist", Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Who plays chess with a bottle of Champaign next to them, no wonder the guy lost three times. :confused:
I played chess in third grade and we would never have allowed that.
- Will ("chess champion of third grade", Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
During the days of Fisher, there was a small pizza joint at the University hosting 30 games. I was winning and the opponent jumped up , picked up the board and dumped it in my lap and floor. He proceeded to storm out.

I told him he had 30 seconds to return and pick up the pieces or I would stick his King up his...

He paused, took a deep breath and dutifully put all the pieces back in place. Then left the place quickly.
Jim...

PS: I am a former college center to Terry Bradshaw and Phil Robertson. The opponent knew I wasn't kidding him.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'll have to get a board out and STUDY that!
No you don't. It's a good block for a fool's mate but not that great for offense.
Don't make me dig my board out of the basement, or the attic, or my storage unit, or get it back from whomever my mother might have sold it to at a yard sale, or you WILL regret it.
Had to pause for a moment to check what this thread was about.
Oh yeah, the philosophy of sailing into the connected world of high tech distractions.
So, what do you think?
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Had to pause for a moment to check what this thread was about.
Been about 40 years since I could play a full game in my head. That puts a lot of tech. stuff over my head too. Old age plus lack of interest in some of the new stuff. Sailed for more than 20 years before I had a boat with a motor.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@JamesG161 "College Center" and Chess Player.... That is a lot of info to absorb. What makes the forum interesting.

@Will Gilmore Being the OP, I wanted to discuss the idea of getting away from technology and having private time in this twitter/facebook/Instagram world of the youth. The Circle served to trigger my challenge to us sailors.

We have had conversations about the best boat build for the current market. And the impact of safety in the MFD world of current boat technology. I for one am engaged in the use of technology to enable better situational awareness during adverse conditions i.e GPS/radar/AIS/Chart plotters but even with these gadgets the one thing that saved my boat and maybe my life this past year was looking out into the fog and seeing the lights of the fishing boat that was intent on ruining my day.

Since the May event I have had the time to think about the seconds of terror I felt and the reactions I took. Mostly the fact that I did not freeze like a dear in headlights.

There is no way I can put enough sensors and gadgets on the boat to have helped in this event. Yet it is a constant reminder that stuff happens when we go out on the water.

So I hope we continue to share and talk about this subject. I feel that the ideas I share and experiences of others I have enjoyed from this group contributed to my actions. They helped save my boat.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That's called a "Kings Gambit Declined."
:laugh: You guys are great!!:laugh:
It's actually (in descriptive notation):

King's Gambit Declined
White Black
1. P-K4 P-K4
2. P-KB4 ......

Then, there are few ways for Black to decline the gambit pawn (i.e., the white pawn at KB4). The "usual" way is
2. ...... P-Q3
3. N-KB3 ......

Last edited: